IGNORED

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

Q27

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

I was on a Mindless Self Indulgence forum (MSIfan.com), and someone wanted to be cheered up so someone posted the Come To Daddy video. It was early last summer.

My first songs were Windowlicker and Alberto Balsalm off of a lounge CD.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beavis14996

about ten years ago i have seen the ventolin video on germans viva2 tv(viva-zwei). i was blown away, never heard anything like that before. i remembered the artist "aphex twin" and bought classics form the shitty cd store next day

Guest bouquiniste

on Amazon, i was grabbing on electronica category

then soulseek helped me a lot

:rolleyes:

but i got Druqks and other cds from official stores

Guest Enter a new display name

I heard of Aphex Twin quite often in message boards, so I finally decided to purchase RDJ Album. It was a shock!

Guest Speedplay

The first track I heard was At The Heart Of It All on Further Down the Spiral. It was also on a NIN forum that someone gave the recommendation of SAW Vol.1 in a drawing/art related topic.

Fuck yeah!

I read in some artsy magazine article that Radiohead were ripping off Aphex Twin. By chance the RDJ album was in the next record store I went to and it wasn't expensive. So I bought it.

Guest Quixote

Saw "Aphex Twin" in the credits to the Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral album and liked the two tracks he had contributed to. Borrowed the Richard D James Album from a friend and became hooked. This was 1999 though - I recall finding www.joyrex.com but not really seeing anything interesting during that lull there until DrukQs was finally released.

edit: fixed the date. i remember i was listening to it on repeat while reading a certain book that was just released. not gonna admit it though - will give away too much about my dorkiness (No, not Harry Potter, but damn close).

Guest HokusPoker
Saw "Aphex Twin" in the credits to the Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral album and liked the two tracks he had contributed to. Borrowed the Richard D James Album from a friend and became hooked. This was 1999 though - I recall finding www.joyrex.com but not really seeing anything interesting during that lull there until DrukQs was finally released.

edit: fixed the date. i remember i was listening to it on repeat while reading a certain book that was just released. not gonna admit it though - will give away too much about my dorkiness (No, not Harry Potter, but damn close).

Harry Potter?

Interesting read fellas.

The Techno Tetris track.

:rolleyes:

Read about 'Digeridoo' being an important track in an issue of Details magazine back in 1992

Speaking of Digeridoo, which do you fellow WATMMers think is better? The live or studio version?

I personally think the live vers. is better. Mainly because it doesn't have that weird frog noise.

1994. I was 15 and in a new hardcore/metal band with some older kids and the guitarist/singer let me borrow Artificial Intelligence vol 1 and The On ep. Changed my life forever. Obviously.

7\ ... indeed.

I read in some artsy magazine article that Radiohead were ripping off Aphex Twin. By chance the RDJ album was in the next record store I went to and it wasn't expensive. So I bought it.

So Radiohead got you into electronic music?

or just Aphex Twin?

erm... the NME used to be worthwhile. they reviewed 'selected ambient works 85-92' upon release, i don't usually read reviews but it did catch my eye because of the artwork, and when i spotted it in a shop window that week i decided to give it a try. so, 1992.

Heard didgeridoo at The Bowgie Inn in Cornwall many many moons ago. Someone probably told me that evening who had made the track but I'd forgotten by next day. I went to my local record store to ask if they knew who it was and luckilly they did (but they didn't have the record in stock) and i've been listening ever since..

God, I feel old now.

Guest Rejected Ambient Works

I saw Windowlicker on TMF (very crappy Dutch 'music'-channel) 1 year ago... I was like "Wtf?! Awesome!"

After that I searched the internet, listened to samples of SAW 85-92 and I was hooked. Got most of his albums now... It also got me into other artists like Ae, Squarepusher, Biosphere & others.

So yea... a crappy channel made a big impact on my music-style.

I saw that he had a hand in the end guitars/noise manipulation at the end of Mr. Self-Destruct off NIN's downward Spiral. Then of course I saw the name again on Further Down the Spiral. He was mentioned quite frequently on a NIN forum or two I frequented back in the day. I wanted to listen to some awesome electronic music and industrial just wasn't cutting it anymore, so I started downloadin' teh IDMs. My friend was also encouraging me to check out his music, particularly RDJ Album (which happened to end up being my favorite album of his). Another friend of mine was also totally addicted to his shizzle (and she also had a vagina!). So eventually I picked up Druqs, maybe in 2001, or perhaps late 2000. At first I didn't like the production and was also bothered by the haphazard tracklisting (ie the lack of flow between tracks). Then one day I put it in my discman after not listening to it for a while and found myself liking it a great deal. I saw that he had a style and approach uniquely his own, and I became very fond of all the quirks and eccentricities within the music. And I found that I only liked it all more with each successive listen. It was like a gift that kept on giving. I've found the same thing with Ae.

Guest beavis14996
Speaking of Digeridoo, which do you fellow WATMMers think is better? The live or studio version?

I personally think the live vers. is better. Mainly because it doesn't have that weird frog noise.

live version has the better beginning

Guest ezkerraldean

one of my mates introduced me to orbital, and then mentioned aphex and squarepusher to me. loved orbital (first electronica artist i had ever properly heard) and looked up aphex on the net, downloaded Cliffs (as well as tango'n'vectif by mu-ziq) off some random site. didnt know what the fuck to think of it at first.

Archived