IGNORED

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

Q27

Guest AOOproductions

I found him thru chris cunningham. It was on some website that was listing the scariest music videos of all time. And come to daddy was up there, so I downloaded it. I was fucking scared as shit and didn't want to watch it again. But then I did and soon it just became hilarious. Then windowlicker... and then I bought ICBYD and the rest is history.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Caustic

I saw Come To Daddy when I was 6.

then about 6 years later I was watching "100 greatest music videos" on channel 4 and C2D came on. I was like "FUCKING HELL I REMEMBER THAT"

Yeah same, I saw Come to Daddy and Windowlicker videos on MTV.. after them I wanted to find out more.. and so the first album I picked up was Drukqs, and was absolutely blown away. It was the most exciting time ever (discovering an artist you're really getting into), and then went on from there

saw the on video back in '93 or '94. I didn't listen to much electronic music in those days, but I remember thinking it was a cool video. later in the '90s I heard some of his stuff on the net and loved the melancholic tracks, thought all the manic stuff was a bit much. gradually I started liking most all of it, though there are still some tracks that I have never been able to enjoy.

When the 'Volume Four' CD/Book came out. Had a pretty crap interview (although he did say that he was thinking of releasing an ambient album in it), and the CD had 'En Trance To Exit'.

And never mind being born before Digeridoo came out, I was born before Richard D. James.

Guest Vegeta897

I was introduced to Aphex Twin some time in 2004, by an internet friend. Before that, I really can't even remember what the hell I liked. Random shit, though I think I was starting to get into techno. Man, I was so naive back then. I didn't know where the hell to start, though if I had maybe read up on good techno artists I'd have found Aphex Twin sooner I bet.

(3yr when Digeridoo came out)

Guest Quixote
edit: fixed the date. i remember i was listening to it on repeat while reading a certain book that was just released. not gonna admit it though - will give away too much about my dorkiness (No, not Harry Potter, but damn close).

Harry Potter?

Redwall, okay. Probably worse - a fantasy type novel, but the characters are talking animals.

• 1 month later...

jeez lots of young lads around here. i was 11 when digeridoo came out ('91 right?), didnt really find about him until about '96. digeridoo was the only aphex twin track i knew, had it on 2cd 'this is techno' compilation, one of the very few tracks i liked from it. had read about him previously in some prodigy book, and something about him being a total nutter driving a tank in a NME glastonbury live review. my 1st girlfriend actually knew him better than me, she was a nin fan, so naturally she knew his work on 'further down the spiral' and she liked 'i care because you do' which i had never heard. the thing that got me hooked though was the come to daddy ep. i had read a reallllly positive review of 'come to daddy' with a picture of it's bizzare cover in a well known local underground music magazine. so i told my girlfriend about it, and she bought me it for my birthday which was in dec. '97

The first I tracks I heard of RDJ were from the RDJ album when it came out. I didn't realize it at the time, but then I heard Come To Daddy when it came out, so I bought the album. I expected it to be completely mental metal or something of the like, but was pleasantly surprised by the CD. Haven't turned back since. I can't remember when I joined this board. Back when it was still the Joyrex board days and it had the Come To Daddy design I think.

I was around 4 when Digeridoo came out.

Archived