IGNORED

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

Q27

Guest Ache of the North

I went on a trip to Holland in 1999 when I was 17 and saw the windowlicker video on TMF late one night. I had just smoked a copious amount of marijuana and was completely blown away by the insanity of it all. Needless to say that it completely changed my life. Thank you RDJ.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Firth's Cartoons about 6 years ago. Which also introduced me to Datach'i, Boards of Canada, and Clara Rockmore.

Not really anything to brag about.

This, pretty much.

In college, somebody used I believe it's called 'lichen' off SAWII in one of their projects and I made an inquiry as to what it was. I got passed that, further down the spiral, I care because you do. That pretty much got me started on all of the British 90's IDM scene.

For many years I have been into music which was never mainstream. If you do that, no matter if you are into either punk, metal, hip-hop or experimental music you will always be aware of bands or artists of other genres. Somehow they seep into your music realm. So even though I was listening too lots of guitar based music this name Aphex Twin just kept on cropping up. A lot of my mates were more into electronic/dance music, one of them has 3 original first pressings of Annalogue Bubblebath 1 on Rabbit City records which proves the point. Yet back then I wasn't interested yet strangely it is me who is know the biggest electronic fan and they listen to middle of the road indie music! (I think they burnt the candle at both ends, they were right in the middle of the illegal rave movement which swept the UK and were doing shit loads of drugs at 17/18 when I was still 5 years away from experimenting with those substances).

Apex Twin, aphex twin, aphex twin always in my brain. I was listening to John Peel one night and he played Girl/Boy song and that was it. Hook, line and sinker. I bought RdJ lp and that still remains my favorite release from him. I then bought SAW 1 a few weeks later and then Come to Daddy came out. Those 3 releases was enough to convince me that he was the fucking Don.

No other artisit makes me feel like a kid a Christmas when they release a new record.

Back in 95 when i was a student a friend came to visit (and play cards and get drunk and stoned) our student house and brought Aphex. I've been hooked ever since.

:aphexsign:

edit: he didn't actually bring Aphex in person, just some tapes or whatever.

Guest Masonic Boom

Back in 95 when i was a student a friend came to visit (and play cards and get drunk and stoned) our student house and brought Aphex. I've been hooked ever since.

:aphexsign:

edit: he didn't actually bring Aphex in person, just some tapes or whatever.

Damn. I got really excited for a moment there. Just imagining some Dutch dude sloping into your dorm room with a big bag containing weed and playing cards and ... oop, here's Mr Twin like a rabbit out of a hat.

Guest Abstract Daddy

when i was 9 and the windowlicker video had just came out i didnt sleep properly for weeks. A couple of months later pete burns was on nevermind the buzzcocks and thats who i thought aphex twin was until i was 12

Guest peaches

late one hot summer night in 2007 in an IRC I popped in to ask for any good music I should check out. someone tells me about richard so I get SAW 85-92. I was immediately hooked on this peculiar (at the time) music... before then, I had never really listened to music. if one of my mates had something going in his room, yeah, I wouldn't be repulsed but I just wasn't into it. I really have to thank richard for showing me just how wondrous and entrancing and uplifting music can be. <3

I had a really cool music history teacher who played a very wide variety of genres for us to evaluate for assignments. He played Flim for one of our evaluation assignments. I would kill to see the paper where I wrote down what I thought about Aphex for the very first time. He described Richard as a man in England who made music by recording things in his household and sequencing them with a computer. He told us how the drums were amazing because they would be impossible to play on a traditional drum set.

Come to daddy.

Had to buy it in 1997 because mtv had banned it (yes, I was 15 at the time, so it seemed cool).

Around that time I was into drum&bass and it just seemed like a pretty mental d&b tune. Then got hold of Classics. Soon after I picked up SAW2 which is still one of my favourite albums to this day.

when i was 9 and the windowlicker video had just came out i didnt sleep properly for weeks. A couple of months later pete burns was on nevermind the buzzcocks and thats who i thought aphex twin was until i was 12

best one yet congrats

• 2 years later...

As a Freshman in college I was exposed to his music. It began with flim, but the two tracks that really grabbed me were Fingerbib and Girl/Boy Song. I would walk around campus with nowhere to go, just repeating those tracks over and over. Fingerbib would calm me down / chill me out, Girl/Boy song was a flood of emotions; both were eargasms / mindgasms.

On a music board, someone made a post that they would play i, rhubarb, stone in focus, and a fourth track I can't remember on repeat for hours, sometimes as ambiance, sometimes paying real close attention to the music (evidently, he had wept at their beauty). He asked for music reccomendations based on these songs. The most memorable response to this thread was something like "Just download SAW II you faggot." These songs stuck in my mind.

That summer my friend was staying at my house the night before heading up to work at a summer camp as a counselor. He brought greenery; typically overeager me suggested we should go smoke some the night before our drive. We snuck out of my house and drove to the parking lot of my old elementary school (where I used to fuck my first girlfriend, no less) and smoked a bowl. I've never been too good at the whole "friends" thing. Consequently this was the first time I had been proper stoned in my life. On the way home, I put on [stone in focus]. From the very first note, I was transfixed. I wondered briefly if my friend were feeling the same things as me, but honestly it didn't matter. Truly a life changing moment - I was on the verge of tears. At a stop sign, my friend remarked "I think we died in a car crash." For the rest of the summer, #19 became known as "The Song." "Put on the song!" my friend would say, when we were absolutely toasted out of our minds. He also really liked "Nannou." Good times. Fuck.

I was born in '89; that song was released when I was 4. Thank you Richard.

This makes me feel so very old, with a slight twist of depression.

Guest SaDaKo33

My Dad taped alot of things from the radio in the early nineties (he now uses Youtube).

Several of those things were early Aphex Twin tracks and my Dad definatley played those ones alot (I recognised the tracks years later when listening to random radio tapes form '93, one of them was Italic Eyeball, some of the stuff on Classics, another one on another tape was Blue Calx) anyway, my Dad always raved about how he (Aphex) was making music in his bedroom with instruments he'd made himself from scratch and about how elecrtonic music just exploded from nowhere around early '91.

Interested, I listened to my Dad's tape of SAW 85-92 and never looked back.

This was 1995 and I was 10.

Guest couch

Whenever further down the spiral came out. The one RDJ track was instantly my favorite and I played the crap out of it. I also remember buying the perfect drug remixes a year or so later. Which introduced me to those other electronic acts. Notably The Orb.

So through The Orb I got into ambient techno. Found out about Aphex Twin. Then it clicked and I realized Aphex Twin did part of that nin song I liked on FDTS.

Archived