IGNORED

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

Q27

Guest zaphod

I saw Come To Daddy on an MTV show called 12 Angry Viewers, where they review music videos. I think it "won" that episode. Prior to that I had heard SAW Vol 2 through a friend and I didn't make the connection that it was the same artist.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My uncle had SAWII right when it came out and I was listening to that when I was 7, thinking that the music was actual sounds coming from the inside of ancient pyramids and caves or something. I imagined someone traveling the world, going to scary places, and recording it. 7 year old me WOULD think that.

Then I didn't listen again until about 2006. Listened to the shit out of everything and just like that I am a fan.

All thanks to Mr David Firth. Around 2008 (I had seen it in 2005, and I remenbered I enoyed alot so I googled).

No shame. His cartoons are still amazing.

Guest some letters

IDM in general:

Doing homework while listening to Radio 1 in late 90s. Mostly John Peel, Mary Anne Hobbs and Blue Jam.

Blue Jam/Jam is still the best use of SAW II by another creative talent I've ever heard/seen.

One day my brother (10 years older than me) played the Classics LP and I was so amazed at what I heard (I was about 10 years old). He asked if I'd never seen the Windowlicker vid that was just out, and by accident I saw it on TMF (Dutch MTV) that day, being overwhelmed. I remember being totally obsessed with it, going as far as having my cool 90's kids stopwatch next to the TV for when Windowlicker came on, so I could time how long that video was and bragging about it the next day in school :biggrin:

That week I got a rip of the Classics vinyl, that CD-r was totally raped by my CD-player and discman until it just didn't play anymore. Then in 2001 I remember I had seen the Drukqs commercial on MTV (with "Rubber Johnny") and was in total WTF mode. The next day in school only 1 girl (who was into Eminem) also saw it and thought it was creepy but she totally didn't care, I couldn't understand then why someone could care so little about something that weird.

When it was released my brother bought the Drukqs vinyl boxset and I used to stare at that cover as a kid. My brother played it for me and I was really scared of Gwarek2. Listening to that he told me; the guy who made this is a total psycho and uses insane amounts of drugs. It was all like one big myth for me.

Then one day I saw it in a recordstore and I remember I hid the CD under crappy albums in that store, literally running home to ask money for a CD, running back to the store to buy Drukqs. That album changed my life. End of story.

(later that year I discovered joyrex.com/watmm and xltronic, and my life was ruined again :emotawesomepm9: )

The first time I ever heard aphex twin would have been around 2001-2002 ish... come to daddy was on CKY1 where they are jumping off the back of a truck going like 20 MPH. After that I didnt start listening to him until around 2005-2006 when I first heard "start as you mean to go on".. put ICBYD on my ipod and never looked back

The Experimental Electronica iTunes Essential, which is now gone for some stupid reason. I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time, I think 2006. I listened mostly to Amon Tobin after that, though.

I was into electronic music like The Chemical Brothers and Orbital at the time and a friend, who smoked weed (I think it's relevant lol), showed me CD, It was the most amazing thing I had ever heard.

I think it was Druqks but I don't remember.

Then I went home and downloaded some stuff and I have followed Richard since then.

Oh yeah, I listened to all my dad's techno music growing up. Chemical Bros and Crystal Method and the like. It was always my favorite of his music.

The first full album I got into was Guero by Beck, and after that At the End of the Day by Amon Tobin. Windowlicker has always been my favorite Aphex Song; I think I listened to that pretty early.

The very first time was probably in the anti-drug commercial, but I didn't realize it. The other first time was when my brother had a copy of Richard D. James album and I would always take his CD's and listen to them. I was in the 5th grade probably around 10 years old. I thought the music was very interesting. I especially liked Milkman. My other brother liked Milkman so much he took it into our elementary school and played it in music class. (it was bring in and share music day).

Guest Rabid

I haven't known about Aphex for a very long time, only 3-4 years. The first I heard of him was when I randomly saw the dumb Aphex Twin meme image (this one) and got curious. I looked him up on youtube, but I didn't think Windowlicker was very good (I still don't think it's one of his best). I forgot about him for a while, but then I looked up Windowlicker again (I thought the black guys were funny) and one of the comments mentioned 4. I looked it up and loved it. I think i played 4 a hundred times over the next few days. Then I pirated all of his albums.

By pirated, I mean bought.

saw windowlicker on tv , forgot artist name, fail. introduced to rdj album by friend of mine in grade 10?, loved that i had never heard anything like it . bought rdj album, probably downloaded windowlicker after that, then found joyrex.com. the rest is history

I caught the two Aphex Twin "remixes" on the Nine Inch Nails remix album Further Down The Spiral in 1995, the summer before college. Right away I thought Aphex Twin was a really cool name. I liked the two tracks, especially the noize-muzak one. I didn't know much about Aphex Twin then, I thought he was an american industrial-rock dude in the Trent Reznor mold.

I later stumbled on I Care Because You Do in the racks of the music store and bought the CD on a whim, not knowing anything about it. I didn't love it right away, apart from Alberto Balsalm, which was the easiest track to get into, but I kept returning to the album. It was exciting to hear this kind of DIY techno, half awkward and irritating and half brilliant. I later got Donkey Rhubarb EP, and I completely lost it for Pancake Lizard. That was the time I officially became addicted to Aphex Twin's music. My next fix was SAW II, and that lasted for more than a year.

There was a huge snow storm the January Tuesday the Richard D. James album came out in the stores of my town, but I was there the minute the store opened, traffic be damned, and I bought my copy before the store clerks could even shelve the new releases.

My first trips on the internet circa 1996 were pretty much Aphex Twin-centric, slowly digesting the Aphex Twin mythos with the SAW II F.A.Q., the Selected AFX loops site, the interviews, the IDM mailing list, the Aphex Twin newsgroup and the fan sites ( blogs before blogs, I think the first one I visited was "The Aphex Effect").

Anyways, I'm pretty much an RDJ fan for life.

Guest Sir Winston

Saw Come To Daddy late one night on MTV2 christmas 98 and it scared the shit out of me. I asked my mum to buy Classics for me and found joyrex.com shortly after. Fin.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest leviathan616

I heard "The Beauty of Being Numb" on Youtube and scrolled down to the comment section and saw some talking about who did Section B. Then I brought "Further Down the Spiral" and listened to it and saw his name on the liner notes.

Guest MTS

Was driving with my family to my uncles house for his birthday when i was 13, on the radio they had an Aphex Twin spotlight or something, they were playing only aphex twin for a few hours. From what i remember the first song they played was windowlicker and i pretty much fell in love, before this i never liked any electronic music at all. we got to my uncles and everyone went inside, but the cunt that i am, i sat in the car for the next 2 hours and listened to the rest of the aphex twin spotlight. the next day i went and bought drukQs, windowlicker ep, come to daddy ep, i care because you do and the richard d james album, if it wasnt for that night i probably wouldn't have ever discoverd electronic music. anyway, thats my story.

Was driving with my family to my uncles house for his birthday when i was 13, on the radio they had an Aphex Twin spotlight or something, they were playing only aphex twin for a few hours. From what i remember the first song they played was windowlicker and i pretty much fell in love, before this i never liked any electronic music at all. we got to my uncles and everyone went inside, but the cunt that i am, i sat in the car for the next 2 hours and listened to the rest of the aphex twin spotlight. the next day i went and bought drukQs, windowlicker ep, come to daddy ep, i care because you do and the richard d james album, if it wasnt for that night i probably wouldn't have ever discoverd electronic music. anyway, thats my story.

That's pretty awesome, and a lot of Aphex to take in all at once, especially to fresh ears! I really wasn't into electronic music at all either until Aphex Twin came along and changed that

Archived