IGNORED

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

Q27

My friend told me about the Come To Daddy music video when we were walking home from school, told me to Google it and it freaked me out.. a few years later I remembered the name of Aphex Twin and downloaded the whole discography as of 2007, listened through everything on shuffle before listening to it all in choronological order, and since then i've been fascinated with his wizardry.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'97 probably? I got into making acid in Rebirth and was sharing among other Rebirth users. One of them said a track I made sounded like Aphex Twin. I didn't know who it was and so I listened to Analogue Bubblebath. I thought it sucked compared to Squarepusher.

what did you say afx sucks?

banned

That was when I first got into acid, jungle, drum'nbass, etc. Like all of you, I have a giant boner for AFX now.

Guest Rulohead32

banned

That was when I first got into acid, jungle, drum'nbass, etc. Like all of you, I have a giant boner for AFX now.

what? do you get a boner with afx? you're a degenerated perv

banned

My first encounter of Aphex was either spring or summer of 1997, whilst watching MTV AMP, when I saw the video for On. I wasn't all that impressed, until I saw the Come to Daddy vid later that year, after which I was blown away. I thought, "is this really the same dude who did that boring music vid I saw a few months earlier?"

banned

what? do you get a boner with afx? you're a degenerated perv

banned

Remember Two Lone Swordsmen??

If I remember correctly it was back in 2008 when I first got into Flying Lotus. Somehow through Wikipedia surfing, I clicked on Warp records, and then clicked on Aphex Twin and saw how long his Wikipedia page was. Then I listened to one of this albums, there you go. That's also how I got into Squarepusher and then consequently, instrumental electronic music.

I found Aphex through this underground french illustrator who draws loads of batshit intricate stuff. One day he put up this song from Expert Knob Twiddlers and it was the most confusing thing I had ever heard in my life. I also happen to be a batshit illustrator, and I liked the cover art so much I ended up getting the album. Up to that point I had no idea electronic music could sound like that, so I searched a bit more about him, listened to it, and was blown away. It changed my life. The Alberto Basalm song and the Polygon Window album got me hooked. Then I really got into electronic music, and also making it and experimenting with sound. Opened up a new world to me. I believe Richard is the greatest composer of the XXI century, I really do.

I was going over to a friend's house to smoke with a group of friends and he happened to be playing SAW II quite loudly as I walked in already stoned, and it instantly struck me. I asked him what it was and he told me it was Aphex Twin, who I had previously only known from his track on NIN's Further Down THe Spiral... We proceeded to smoke out while listening, and it was a great mix of emotions, relaxing and beautiful at times, others claustrophobic and creepy, and a mix of in between on other tracks...

Pretty sure this was the track that was playing first as I walked upstairs to his room...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7HK3fj2y20

I had him burn me a copy and started listening to it regularly and then bought the RDJ album and Come to Daddy EP shortly after and then began picking up previous albums. The next year Druqks came out and I eagerly scooped that up while continuing to collect the other various EPs

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Related video search on youtube. Not weird stuff tough, just idm'z.

I think It might have been the same day I found this:

weird, that video is the exact same video that introduced me to idm :wacko:

Guest Rulohead32

surely you were searching "industrial dance music" in youtube

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

surely you were searching "industrial dance music" in youtube

bwoah, "introducing" is the wrong word. this video was the first time i heard the term 'idm', (i was listening to some amon tobin, and this was some of the related video's) 'intelligent dance music' sounded fun. then i went on wikipedia and read about a few people called 'µ-sic', 'bola', 'autecher', 'square pushers' (i wrote them like this when i first discovered them) and Finally 'aphex twin'. i start searching on youtube and the first video i watched was, as usual, Come To Daddy, it was love at first sight. then i discovered this site http://www.aphextwin.nu/ with several short quicktime player-loops and many interviews. i spent hours listening to these short tunes, and that the boring story about me discovering Aphex twin :flower:

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard about Boards of Canada through a fan of Black Moth Super Rainbow, which led me to a sort of rediscovery of Warp records which up until that point I knew nothing about. I had heard of Battles and Grizzly Bear but that was it. It was a wtf moment when I realized how much of their catalog I had missed, so i decided to pick something that looked interesting and give a full listen. The cover of I Care Because You Do seemed the most interesting to me, so I went with that and was completely floored. Spent the following weeks listening to the rest of his stuff and learning all the different aliases. This was... 2 years ago I believe? Maybe 3? Something like that.

^ sweet, i care because you do is genious

mine was drukqs. i heard come to daddy before but i didn't like it that much exept for the videoclip.

the drukqs album looked interesting and after a long story i decided to buy it.

I had never heard anything like it, i didn't understand wtf was going on but 2 weeks later i took shrooms with some close friends.

we were trippin hard and i put it on cause i knew it would be sweet but it completely blew us away and we listened 2-3 times to the entire cd's, i can't describe it but it was (is) the best music i ever heard

most have been 8-9 years ago? i still put it on now and then and it seems indestructible

Archived