IGNORED

Free Audio Software for Windows/MacOS

mosca

apparently design by Aphex. 

Samplebrain

A custom sample mashing app designed by Aphex Twin.

Samplebrain chops samples up into a 'brain' of interconnected small sections called blocks which are connected into a network by similarity. It processes a target sample, chopping it up into blocks in the same way, and tries to match each block with one in it's brain to play in realtime.

This allows you to interpret a sound with a different one. As we worked on it (during 2015 and 2016) we gradually added more and more tweakable parameters until it became slightly out of control.

• Like 2
  • Big Brain 2

after about 1 year relying on this to bypass my macbook's thermal throttling inferno, I can safely say this is maybe the most crucial of finds in terms of audio. if you're an irresponsible twat like me and like to fuck around with Acustica Audio or any other CPU intensive plugins you might want to give it a go. it absolutely saved my life. it's also free

it allows you to unlock multi-thread on any DAW or you can use it to resurrect old machines as high-performing slaves

https://audiogridder.com/

AudioGridder Server runs on a computer hosting your effect and instrument plugins. On your workstation, on which you run your DAW, you use the AudioGridder FX or instrument plugin to access your plugin library over the network. The plugin is looking for available servers on your network and once connected allows you to create insert chains or load instruments. Midi and audio data from your DAW will be streamed over the network, processed on the server and streamed back.

I made a facebook group where there's a pretty decent amount of information on troubleshooting, optimal setups, etc. look it up

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

17 hours ago, ignatius said:

apparently design by Aphex. 

Samplebrain

A custom sample mashing app designed by Aphex Twin.

Samplebrain chops samples up into a 'brain' of interconnected small sections called blocks which are connected into a network by similarity. It processes a target sample, chopping it up into blocks in the same way, and tries to match each block with one in it's brain to play in realtime.

This allows you to interpret a sound with a different one. As we worked on it (during 2015 and 2016) we gradually added more and more tweakable parameters until it became slightly out of control.

interesting, I'd like to see Ned Rush do a demo.

and in other news, Matt Tytel just made Vital 1.5 public.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:08 PM, rek said:

good question, I'm usin' Linux with Yabridge to run win dlls. I've both used Anticipative Effects and not, in a trial and error process to get the best functionality. Just checked now and it's disabled, but it's running relatively well at the moment. been struggling for many moons to find a sweet spot, trying and untrying every combination of settings. The creator of Yabridge recommended to try disabling it. I spent time dong stress tests with DSP56300 , loading a bunch of instances with lots of voices running, and seeing how long it took to choke the audio output buffers, and got better performance from anticipative effects, but running win dll's on linux introduces its own kind of problems that caused a lot of lockups and crashes that have currently went away for me as a result of disabling the feature, in my particular case.

That has to be it.  Your measurements are definitely more realistic in a host-agnostic sense, in that case.

For comparison, the computer I use won't even run Reaktor standalone but I can run reasonably complex patches in the context of a full mix with no trouble when I use the VST version in Reaper.  Anticipative effects!

• 2 months later...

In reaper:

-TAB to skip to the next transient

-S to split the clip

Export your clips to files. There are a few ways, I'd probably set it to automatically select the item under the cursor, then just put the crrsor over an item, hit CTRL+G to glue the selected item (with only one selected, gluing is reall cropping and rendering to a new file), repeat for the next item, and then use the batch converter to automatically rename, move and convert them to your target format (Reaper renders glued items at 32 bit float so you'll need to batch convert them anyhow). I think for rendering a lot of clips that would be faster than dropping markers at the transients, going back and manually creating regions between them, and then rendering all the regions as separate files.  TAB, S, mouseover, CTRL+G, done.  Should take 3-5 seconds per clip, plus a second or two per clip for the glue action to render and whatever time you spend listening nd fine tuning each split point as you go.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

I can't elaborate much more -- split a big WAV file up into smaller ones. The smaller files would tend to start with the attack of a note or drum.

How would you do it with a gate?

it's obviously best to have a sample editor or app dedicated to this function only, but it's possible to do it manually. don't know which DAW you use, but it could determine the level of ease.
I would do a few passes of gating + consolidating + a decent amount of editing, basically

1) first, duplicate the track with the single large file, since you'll be coming back to it after every pass
2) on the duplicate set the gate to the highest dB range you've established, allowing only the loudest samples to pass through
3) consolidate
4) edit out the silences, leaving only the samples - preserving the space between them is key here
5) after saving the samples mute them and throw them in the original track, muting those passages on the original file
6) repeat the process for each dB range

• Like 1

been meaning to try it out for a while but wasn't able to pull the time to properly explore it. looks like it could put out some interesting stuff with proper tweaking. report back with the results, please!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:36 AM, Summon Dot E X E said:

Does anyone know of a simple and efficient utility that can split wave files into samples based on a dB threshold? I'm looking to split up hours of material into small samples.

You could do something like that with Recycle. 

I haven't used either of them myself but Reaper does also have an auto-split tool built in, and AFAIK you can automatically add markers at transients in the same "split transients" menu for one item at a time, but not all items at once.  It's somethng I've always done manually to get more control, so I can't really say in detail what steps you'd use to do it automatically.

Also I'd forgotten that at some point they added "all project markers" as an option for the render bounds, so my last post is actually way more complicated.

To do it manually:

TAB to jump to the next transient, M to drop a marker, and you're done.  Once all your markers are dropped you can render all your clips.  So really like 2-3 seconds per clip total, plus render time.

You can also use stretch markers to do ReCycle/Ableton style warping directly in the timeline.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

Not exactly a plugina nd not exactly free, but the complete Samples From Mars library is marked down to $49 right now.  I'm not usually a big sample library user (except for some old 80s and 90s Ensoniq and Akai disks occasionally), but for $49 $49 is worth it for the couple dozen vintage drum machine sets alone (I doubt I'll ever download anything else from it myself).   Definitely an improvement over what I was using.

https://samplesfrommars.com/collections/all-products-1/products/all-products-from-mars

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely niche, but here are a pair of no longer distributed java programs for decoding AND ENCODING all four of the competing 70s quadraphonic formats (SQ, QS, Stereo-4, Dynaquad), still available on Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190518193801/http://www.hotto.de:80/software/quadrophonicmatrixencoder.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20190608172140/http://www.hotto.de:80/software/quadrophonicmatrixdecoder.html

So if you're like me and like the idea of doing a quad release some day, this should do it.

Modern 5.1 surround systems can actually still decode at least some of the quad formats (but you'd need to swap your speaker connections around since the quad channels don't actually decode to the same outputs as 5.1) so it's not actually as pointless as it sounds, and if I was going to put something out on vinyl I'd seriously consider it.

NoiseCraft is a node-based visual programming language, loosely inspired by Max/MSP and PureData. The main goal of this project is to provide a way for people to explore musical ideas, and to enable people to share these ideas easily. It’s designed to be easy to use and approachable for beginners. There’s only one type, every connection has a floating-point value that changes over time. It runs in a browser and uses the Web Audio and Web MIDI APIs. This means you don’t need to install anything, and you can share links to your projects just as easily as you can in Google Docs. The user interface is minimalistic and designed to be as simple as possible to facilitate learning. No cryptic shortcuts, no submenus, no esoteric terminology.

NoiseCraft. Browser app, requires Web Audio and WebMIDI.

Edited by dcom

On 12/22/2022 at 6:05 PM, Summon Dot E X E said:

On another topic, I can finally mess around with this since Reason now supports VST3: https://magenta.tensorflow.org/ddsp-vst

I am training my own model -- you're supposed to load 10 minutes of audio of a single instrument, but I loaded less time of an entire track with multiple instruments. I'm hoping the output will be really messed up.

How'd it go with Magenta? I need to train a model eventually

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, luke viia said:

these aren't free anymore ($10 for all of em, close enough) but man i was struggling to remember the dev name and couldn't track em down anywhere but here! thank goodness for KAEN

Woah that collection takes me back - Though nicely priced I wonder why he's started charging for them (especially as they're still just 32bit vsts and don't appear to have been updated since the 00s when they were still gratis)

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 5:37 AM, mcbpete said:

Woah that collection takes me back - Though nicely priced I wonder why he's started charging for them (especially as they're still just 32bit vsts and don't appear to have been updated since the 00s when they were still gratis)

same haha I was just looking at that. I think those are some of the first plugins I ever downloaded, probably circa 2004. I remember making some chippy sounds with peach in particular

• Like 1

Mastering The Mix offers 25,400 FREE licenses of the Animate ($61 value) plugin to BPB readers. We are giving away the remaining 20,000 free licenses right now! The event launched at 7pm GMT on February 24th, 2023.

UPDATE (7am GMT, February 26th): 3,000 free licenses are still available.

UPDATE (9am GMT, February 27th): 1,000 free licenses are still available.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2023/02/21/mastering-the-mix-animate/

additional: check news on BPB, lots of free stuff/offers there

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/category/news/

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 1

Not free, but Amazon US still has a few of the TC8210-dt plugin+USB controller packages available for $29 USD.  There was a sale around a year ago and every other retailer I'm aware of has them at $99 again, but there were still three left after I ordered mine just now. The USB remote is whatever, but it's a nice sounding reverb and $29 is a good price for it.

I'm not adding a link because I emailed a friend about it and want to give him a bit of a head start, but it's not hard to find at all.