IGNORED

Drukqs Translations

SR4

a while ago, in one of the previous incarnations of joyrex or was it watmm at that point?, someone posted the cornish/welsh translations of the songs on drukqs...i was just wondering if joy or anyone else still had those track titles.

Guest organizedconfusedproject

shhhh..

They arn't on the english wiki, btu they are n the frencch one.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drukqs

Most of the titles are in cornish dialect or in Kernawek (modern cornish):

Jynweythek Ylow.

Jynweythek = electronic machine. Ylow = music. So music of the electronic machine

Vordhosbn.

a vor = cutter, rowboat or sailboat. hos = a "big" noise. So most likely a noisy boat.

Kladfvbung Micshk.

Old cornish. Unknown signification...

Omgyjya Switch7.

Old language aigain. So as to deal with old scripts, modern characters tend to use numbers in order to substitute some elements. Thus, a long "z" is written with a "3" and is pronounced "th". Same thing for "7" which is like a "t".

Strotha Tynhe.

Strotha = to squeeze, to compress. Tynhe = too close, tight

Gwely Mernans.

Gwely = bed. Mernans = death. Then deathbed

Avril 14th.

April 14th is the date of the "Kernow festival".

Mt Saint Michel + St Michaels Mount.

This title refers both at once to our( :angry:) Mont Saint Michel and to the St Michaels' Mount which is in Cornwall...At the begining of the track,we can hear some samples of bells : this is Mont Saint Michel's ones. In an inteview , RDJ stated he composed it during hollydays, on a portable computer.

Gwarek 2.

Gwarek = arch, vaulting. The track contain several segments of the music richard composed for the film Flex by Chris Cunningham.

Orban Eq Trx4.

Orban would be a kind of butte or mound.

It's especially an english brand of audio devices specialized in broadcast devices, and notably in equalizers hence orban Eq

Aussois.

Reference to the french ski area ? This assumption should be retain(cf. Mt St Michel mix)

Hy A Scullyas Lyf A Dhagrow.

A could mean "one" or "to go". Hy = she / her. Scullyas = spill, squander. Lyf = Flood. Dhagrow (or just grow) = sludge. So something in connection with liquid spilling--> "She spilled all".

Kesson Daslef.

Kesson = harmonious.

54 Cymru Beats.

Cymru = Wales. So welsh beats.

contain the track : \Delta M_i^{-1} = -a \sum_{n=1}^N D_i \left[ n \right] \left[ \sum_{j \in \mathbb{C} \{i \}} F_{ij} \left[ n-1 \right] + F\operatorname{ext}_i \left[ n^{-1} \right] \right]

en HTML : ΔMi−1 = −aΣn=1NDi[n] [Σj∈ℂ{i}Fij[n − 1] + [Fexti[n−1]]

include in Windowlicker

Btoum Roumada.

Old script.

Lornaderek.

Lornaderek = Lorna an Derek, Richard's parents. He thanked them in his Respect List on Ventolin/Ventolin Remixes (also include in 51/13 Singles Collection, 1996). This track is in fact a hapy birthday message left on his answering machine

Penty Harmonium.

Penty = painted. Harmonium = harmony / music.

Prep Gwarlek 3b.

Old script again,with a long "z" insead of the "3".

Petiatil Cx Htdui.

Old script again.

Ruglan Holon.

Holon = salt.

Beskhu3epnm.

Old language again...

Nanou2.

Suite of Windolicker's Nannou ?

Afx237 V.7.

Afx237 V.7 is also Rubber Johnny"s music, a 6 minuts film by Chris Cunningham with as an intro some samples of Gwarek 2.

Source : AFX - Aphex Twin

I made it comprehensible. Make it readable and write it on wiki.

Some additional notes : I had a trip to the Mt st michel. I confirm, that's the bells.

I thin k i've read something about young RDJ and a tunnel under the St michael mount.

Cymru is to be read kum-ri (wiki said : Wales (Welsh: Cymru;[1] pronounced /ˈkəmrɨ/) )

and we all know nannou is anne gallien or something like that.

Let's get down to it !

Guest Quixote

from Wikipedia entry for Cornish

The Cornish language (in Cornish: Kernowek, Kernewek, Curnoack)... shares about 80% basic vocabulary with Breton, 75% with Welsh, 35% with Irish, and 35% with Scottish Gaelic

So Kernewek is indeed Cornish, not Welsh (Cymraeg). Not that I'm an expert on Celtic languages (I know how to say like 2 things in Irish, and have no idea how to spell anything)

Guest Quixote

You'd need a Venn diagram to illustrate those percentages methinks. The languages are all rooted in the Celtic language family tree (Welsh, Cornish and Breton being in the Brythonic languages that were prevailant in the south of England, Gaelic and Scots Gael rooted in the Goidelic languages that were prevalant in the North). So they all share different common root words with one another to a different degree. Like saying that Spanish shares a certain percentage of root words with Italian and another percentage of root words with Portuguese or something, since they all came directly from Latin but evolved in different ways.

It would make sense that Cornish and Welsh were similar since they're both near the South-West of the island together there.

Also interesting to note that Cornish had died out completely in the 1700's, but a revival began in the 20th century based off the old manuscripts.

Guest Quixote

I can't answer that. Sort of confuses me because his parents are Welsh - he just grew up in Cornwall (according to my friend the internet).

• 5 months later...
Guest Calx Sherbet

are the tracks pronounced exactly how they look? cause i would have pronounced 'Bbydhyonchord' as 'Bid-hin-kord'. and if the numbers are in place of letters, then what would 237 from ''afx 237'' mean?

I think it really means 237.

A lot of Richard's tracks have "AFX" in them:

AFX2

AFX 6/b

AFX 114

AFX 237 v7

AFX ACID 04

yeah that would mean he did some tracks titled AFX(with some numbers or letters), i think he has choosen some of them 4 his release albums... :undecided: that's like Squarepusher with his Tundra, Iambic (number) Poetry, Tommib, Male Pill Part (number)... :braindance:

• 8 years later...

I'm pretty sure that's just said phonetically - as "baby die on cord" 

are the tracks pronounced exactly how they look? cause i would have pronounced 'Bbydhyonchord' as 'Bid-hin-kord'. and if the numbers are in place of letters, then what would 237 from ''afx 237'' mean?

Archived