Jump to content

confield art


Guest Audiophile
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 years later...

I just wanted to point out how similar the design is to Amon Tobin's Permutations, which was released a year prior to Confield's recording.

spacer.png

Any chance they might have taken inspiration?

Edited by demo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, demo said:

I just wanted to point out how similar the design is to Amon Tobin's Permutations, which was released a year prior to Confield's recording.

spacer.png

Any chance they might have taken inspiration?

Honestly it just looks like late '90s design style.

Like this one here. Not exactly similar but abstract CGI with tons of white space surrounding it. I'm sure there are plenty more examples if you go through IDM releases from 97ish to 2005ish

 

mikedred.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Radiohead's OK Computer would fall into this category also?

Radioheadokcomputer.png

SAW2 maybe an early development to this direction? Particularly if you take out the cassette fold and spread it out, lol

 

saw2cassette.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, demo said:

I just wanted to point out how similar the design is to Amon Tobin's Permutations, which was released a year prior to Confield's recording.

spacer.png

Any chance they might have taken inspiration?

discogs shows that came out 3 years before in fact, in '98, and also it's flipped vs what you're showing. but no matter, the person credited with design/photography for that AT release is 'Openmind' who apparently did a fair amount of design for Gescom as well, so very possible that AE were familiar with the Permutations album cover... the art/design for Confield are never credited to anyone so it's assumed it's AE (pls do correct me if i'm wrong) handling it on their own...so they might've had that Permutations album somewhere in their heads and referenced it unknowningly? i imagine that's a pretty serious concern for most pro design work, accidentally copying something to some extent. 

also possibly that Openmind actually did the design (artwork is stills from video AE did but 'design' requires specific things for vinyl printing/etc) and it went uncredited officially for some reason? 

just throwing out ideas really

On 12/2/2007 at 2:56 PM, Bob Dylan said:

The confield poster has a nice cut in... for reason I don't understand 🙂

also i've got the Confield poster and would love to know why that perforation is in there. it's weird but i like it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, auxien said:

also possibly that Openmind actually did the design (artwork is stills from video AE did but 'design' requires specific things for vinyl printing/etc) and it went uncredited officially for some reason? 

 

Yeah, I would assume that it's just the screencap from the Ae video and the rest is by some professional designer including the thick white frames and text. I mean the rest requires all the EAN codes etc and need to think where the folds go. (And it's not like me arsing around with Gimp creating something square shaped and then uploading it as "cover art" to Bandcamp).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zkom said:

Yeah, I would assume that it's just the screencap from the Ae video and the rest is by some professional designer including the thick white frames and text. I mean the rest requires all the EAN codes etc and need to think where the folds go. (And it's not like me arsing around with Gimp creating something square shaped and then uploading it as "cover art" to Bandcamp).

yeah, no doubt. could also be that AE were trying their hand at doing the more pro design stuff for Confield, but just opted not to do it again because of those reasons of having to consult/format for manufacture/etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, demo said:

I just wanted to point out how similar the design is to Amon Tobin's Permutations, which was released a year prior to Confield's recording.

spacer.png

Any chance they might have taken inspiration?

ewwwwwww

 

 

NO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure I read in an interview back in the day that they were responsible for the artwork of LP5 through to Confield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

he gets worked up about new members...

Haha, nice.

 

I might be fairly new here but I've heard all about WATMM, so I guess the stories are true...

 

Good to know there are some decent people here who like to discuss and theorise particular things though rather than just be a shitposter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, demo said:

Haha, nice.

 

I might be fairly new here but I've heard all about WATMM, so I guess the stories are true...

 

Good to know there are some decent people here who like to discuss and theorise particular things though rather than just be a shitposter.

So the stories are true... Well, at least some decent people are around here, not only shitposters.

 

That shitposter, hello spiral, he got it a wee bit harsh aesthetically reacting to a picture you have no hand in, good that you, decent demo, saved the day by attacking the whole forum.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hello spiral said:

lol yeah, it wasn't personal.

That cover really is dogshit though.

well, early 00s design is shit altogether

  • Farnsworth 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2007 at 7:56 AM, six said:

You can see where the video was originally hosted on the Warp site here: http://www.warprecords.com/artists/news.ph...3&filter=ae

 

Interesting that the original version of Konlied MX was called Conlied, and out almost the same time as Confield. This might be a heavy rework of a Confield song now that I think of it.

 

I wish the link for VI CODE SPOILSE was still active! Definitely relates to Confield but there is nothing featured there anymore. I wonder...

Yeah, I was hoping that would make it onto the Gantz Graf DVD, but alas. I would have watched it (at least once or twice).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think that Confield is their best album, or best artwork, but I do feel like it’s the last album they made where the cover really matched the music. I don’t know- it just seems like a perfect fit. The early 2000s were really an odd time with album covers, I noticed a lot of bands making white covers around that time. Maybe a late 90s thing too. Definitely a dynamic era for graphic design.

As for Amon Tobin- what a classic example of artwork that doesn’t go with the music. I love his music and his album covers, but it’s like opening up the steel doors on a Frank Lloyd Wright house and walking into a dusty old log cabin. 

Edited by Himelstein
Forgot some stuff
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

So the stories are true... Well, at least some decent people are around here, not only shitposters.

 

That shitposter, hello spiral, he got it a wee bit harsh aesthetically reacting to a picture you have no hand in, good that you, decent demo, saved the day by attacking the whole forum.


A wee bit harsh yeah, that's why I said "bit harsh",  I cant say my responce was an attack... but thanks for letting me know I saved the day, I guess that's why they call me decent demo.
For real though I'm not taking it personally, I just like both album covers, if I don't like an album cover I'll probably give a more detailed responce than just "ewww".

Saying "so the stories are true" wasn't in responce to that anyway, it was in responce to "he gets worked up about new members", I mean, that's the kind of stupid shit I've heard goes down on here.

Edited by demo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, demo said:


A wee bit harsh yeah, that's why I said "bit harsh",  I cant say my responce was an attack... but thanks for letting me know I saved the day, I guess that's why they call me decent demo.
For real though I'm not taking it personally, I just like both album covers, if I don't like an album cover I'll probably give a more detailed responce than just "ewww".

Saying "so the stories are true" wasn't in responce to that anyway, it was in responce to "he gets worked up about new members", I mean, that's the kind of stupid shit I've heard goes down on here.

Demo, if I may say, generally nothing here is directed ad personam or intended to be hostile (i mean, after all it is a forum that deals with a rather neutral thing, like music), more than anything else you will find non-formal communication , and when it is harsh, it is to be understood below in the harmless spectrum of irony, including "he gets worked up about new members". If we lower our defenses and welcome this way, everything is framed in a light way and without reason for resentment. This my own intervention will get me ridiculed, but that's okay  :nelson:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Draft78 said:

Demo, if I may say, generally nothing here is directed ad personam or intended to be hostile (i mean, after all it is a forum that deals with a rather neutral thing, like music), more than anything else you will find non-formal communication , and when it is harsh, it is to be understood below in the harmless spectrum of irony, including "he gets worked up about new members". If we lower our defenses and welcome this way, everything is framed in a light way and without reason for resentment. This my own intervention will get me ridiculed, but that's okay  :nelson:

That... is fair enough.... 

I wasn't meant to reply to that last comment anyway, I was probs just having a bad morning, pre coffee

Edited by demo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...