IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

I played Altibzz the other day and I got that chilly glow one receives when they are listening to something very special. Pure magic.

I think that tune would have to be very high in my favourite all time Autechre tracks, problem is the album (imo) struggles to keep up with that opening monolithic masterstroke.

i did quadrange the other day. masterpiece. that was so insane when quaristice came out. it was such a flood of material. watmm was on fire trying to keep up with it all, especially the short bursts of quadrange eps which have grown to be my fav of the era.

Never one of my favorites but it's really doing it for me today, always nice when something just clicks.

That happened to me with Quadrange last week

I like its more 'serious' tone (thinking Plc ccc) and sense of space

Never one of my favorites but it's really doing it for me today, always nice when something just clicks.

Yeah I was counting the whole package, made my own little best of playlist and there's some really great stuff in here that has aged well for me.

I wish a few of my favorite tracks had longer versions, like rale, Simmm, and WNSN . Simmm is so good, it's totally the proto-Oversteps track of the bunch, would easily fit in on that album. That ending is so gorgeous.

^ funnily enough I said something very very similar in chat not two days when someone asked me about Beefheart.

I was saying Trout Mask Replica is a fucking genius album but it's work, it's challenging every time you listen to it. Then I compared my fave Beefheart, Ice Cream For Crow, to Quaristice.

Yeah I was counting the whole package, made my own little best of playlist and there's some really great stuff in here that has aged well for me.

I wish a few of my favorite tracks had longer versions, like rale, Simmm, and WNSN . Simmm is so good, it's totally the proto-Oversteps track of the bunch, would easily fit in on that album. That ending is so gorgeous.

ha guess i'm gonna do a playlist as well

I have never thought of Simmm as proto-Oversteps, what I normally associate is the beginning of Perlence suns (compare to the beginning of O=0 for instance). For me it gives birth to a lot of Oversteps' ambience that happens behind the algorithmic melodies

Also, Quaristice tour set in itself sounds like a transition between untilted to oversteps 

• 2 months later...

Been listening to the whole Quaristice collection today - trying to take a break from the NTS material... 

Perlence Subrange 6-36 totally snagged me. I can't believe I've never fell into it before now, but I was taking a walk and it was cloudy and lightly sprinkling, and it was just... the perfect fit for the reality around me at that time. 

The main album hit me hard today too... it went from being the sort of... outlier album that I didn't know when to listen to - to being the perfect fit for cloudy/rainy spring days (in my mind, anyway). 

Great stuff... 

=D

Perlence Subrange 6-36 totally snagged me.

The thing with 6-36 is that its waaayyyyyy longer than anything they had ever released before.

Alongside the short 3-4 minute cuts of the main album, it requires a totally different headspace to absorb and sits uncomfortably within

the context of the rest of the album.

BUT since the arrival of elseq / live / NTS we are growing accustomed to longer autechre tracks and it could be that it seems more

accessible.

Edited by fletcher

Quaristice was the first Autechre album I bought. Before that I was very much obsessed with Venetian Snares and only occasionally listened to some AE track on YouTube. I have listened to Quaristice countless times by now, I just love how it flows. Interesting bump

Maybe it's been mentioned before but wetgelis casual interval totally gives me Quaristice vibes

Also splesh to an extent

Edited by jetski

Perlence Subrange 6-36 totally snagged me.

The thing with 6-36 is that its waaayyyyyy longer than anything they had ever released before.

Alongside the short 3-4 minute cuts of the main album, it requires a totally different headspace to absorb and sits uncomfortably within

the context of the rest of the album.

BUT since the arrival of elseq / live / NTS we are growing accustomed to longer autechre tracks and it could be that it seems more

accessible.

You are not wrong, sir. 

I use to have a hard time listening to most songs that were over 10 minutes... But elseq kind of changed that. Then Prurient's Rainbow Mirror - and now these NTS Sessions have definitely solidified that change. I love being completely sucked into a track and taken on a wild journey that doesn't end too soon... 

I recommend getting into Merzbow, Halfer Trio and Organum. Autechre are influenced by all of those guys. 

I am mildly triggered by the mention of Prurient, but only because I think he's derivative and a bit of a prick.

bqbqbq is def very Quaristice-y. Has that aquatic vibe.

I recommend getting into Merzbow, Halfer Trio and Organum. Autechre are influenced by all of those guys. 

I am mildly triggered by the mention of Prurient, but only because I think he's derivative and a bit of a prick.

I would add Bernard Parmegiani and Morton Subotnick, perhaps Stockhausen to the list. Those old fuckers knew/know what they did

I started with Amber in 2007, but that was more about the album than the artist in general. I had no plans at that stage to continue on with other ae albums. The Quaristice release was an immediate fave of mine, largely responsible for stirring my interest in Autechre and Warp Records in general. I had just turned 19, and according to my iTunes I've listened to the front half through Rale at least 50 times.

=X

I don't know anything about Prurient. Sorry for the trigger.

=/

I'll have to revisit the Hafler Trio collab, and check out some of his other material. I've only heard the HT/ae collabs and The Hymn of the 7th Illusion. But I wasn't... In the right place in my life to really appreciate any of it.

Maybe now's a good time to try again. =D

Thanks for bringing up Merzbow and Organum as well.

Lots of music to check out!

=D

Hafler Trio: A Small Child Dreams of Voiding the Plague, Seven Hours Sleep, A Thirsty Fish, Kill the King, Mastery of Money, An Utterance of the Supreme Ventriloquist, Intoutof.

Merzbow: Ecobondage, Batztoutai with memorial gadgets, Noisembryo, Pulsedemon, 24hrs a day of seals, tauromachine, merzbeat, Dharma.

Organum: Submission, Veil of Tears, Sphyx, Bird's Wings Were Glued to Their Bodies and their Feet Were Froze to the Ground.

For starters ofc