IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

my favorite track so far is steels.

It's funny; the first time I heard steels I hated it, but now it's definitely the one that gets stuck in my head the most. It's just so ominous and suspenseful...

I, too, have come to kneel at the altar of fatness that is Quaristice. There's almost certainly nothing I could say about the album that hasn't been said in the ~40 preceding pages, but I will say that it has been a delightful surprise. Bring on da tour.

Guest marcnplymouth

This is right up there with the best of them. One of my faves! Very very listenable - everything you ever really wanted from a new Ae album - and in that stepping-stone joining-up kind of way has reinvented untilted for me as well - double whammy bonus freak move!

YEH! YEH!

GoAeGoGo

M x

the Hemsby 07 live set sounds like a quarasticed version of the Glasgow Art School set of that year - ie twisted to the extreme

I'd say the next live show will be even more messed up in the best possible way....

Guest burnibus

fuck me words can't deecribe that music.

Ive just listened for the first time on headphones a tad stoned and it was amazing. that is some quality shit there. i can't understand those ae fans who are doubtful of this music. listen instead of comparing to how you wanted it to be.

every part of it is deliberately and delicately placed. did anyone else notice the bird song in tankanern?

for me there are alot of ae's influences on display in this album including inluences from their own work. its expressive, original and exceptional music. cheers ae :happy:

Edited by burnibus

Yeah I think a lot of people get caught up in how they want it to sound, or compare it to past releases rather than to just listen as a standalone album. I realize this can be tough to do, but it's worth judging this album on its own.

I like this one a lot, and while a lot of the tunes don't jump out as me as instant classics, I think it's very strong as a whole. It's an album of mostly solid tracks, and since there are so many ideas, even if a couple aren't your cup of tea, it's still a worthwhile experience.

My problem with Draft and Untilted were that if I had a problem with 2 or 3 tracks, that was a sizable chunk of the album, which is not so much the case here. I'm still very interested to hear the bonus disc of course, to see what they do with extended jams. Hopefully we'll hear some of those lengthy AE mutations we've grown to love.

^ what kinds of things did it make you hear differently in retrohearkening?

I dunno, it's hard to put words to......I suppose it's just kinda like listening to it in a "this is what has lead up to quaristice" way as opposed to a "this is the sound of ae right now" way. Also I suppose it's just that aspects of those albums that make it differ from the sound of quaristice are more apparent. Liking the new album a lot. Went for a late night walk around the estate at about midnight last night listening to "paralel suns"......just awe inspiring.

How do you guys know that the bonus is all extended jams? Is anyone else kind of annoyed that this is a "jam" cd? I don't want a fuckin jam, I've got the live recordings for that. I want a composed piece of music, something they wrote. I don't think Quaristice sounds like a jam at all. Sounds like composed genius.

I'm fine if the bonus is extended jams, but I don't know, if it's not, MOAR AWESOME.

Guest Enter a new display name

I've caught the Quaristice overlistening syndrom. My last listens were making me impatient.

Edited by Enter a new display name

God, returning to Draft after listening to this over and over again for a week was an amazing experience. Gotta wonder if this will ever measure up to that one. I actually do think that some places on Quaristice are pretty amazing. I've been pretty hard on this one. I went about it differently than with previous releases, because this time I knew that with the other ones I had waited months to years before really unlocking them. I almost wanted to force this unlocking upon myself. Well I guess I was let down a bit, but now looking at the thing I see some brilliant, brilliant moments.

i almost wish there was more of a theme to quaristice. the way the style swings around sometimes seems random. can't hate though, the mastering and the way they use effects is stunning, i wish they would have produced the last two/three records like that (but perhaps these are new learnings that are put on the tracks)

I think over time you will see there is a theme,people are right when they say it can take a year to get into an album...I have now cranked up 40 complete listens and love it more and more, so by the time I am over Quari I will have the bonus disc :-)

God, returning to Draft after listening to this over and over again for a week was an amazing experience. Gotta wonder if this will ever measure up to that one. I actually do think that some places on Quaristice are pretty amazing. I've been pretty hard on this one. I went about it differently than with previous releases, because this time I knew that with the other ones I had waited months to years before really unlocking them. I almost wanted to force this unlocking upon myself. Well I guess I was let down a bit, but now looking at the thing I see some brilliant, brilliant moments.

thats the same i am going though with the album currently. there is so much inspiration in this

i saved a huge 3 zig zag spliff for the moment i listened to the quarisrtice CD. i popped it in my car and listened to it all the way trhough, my first impression was mixed and alot of the tracks i havent heard already (that werent leake don the wire, etc) werent super impressive to me. Now im finding that the ambient tracks i kind of ignored are shaping up to be someof my favorites. Still a few tracks i cant get past though such as Perlence and Plyphon . Eventually maybe ill like them but for now they just sound really poorly executed. I Think overall this album is a lot more immediatly catchy than Untilted, but its strange i havent been listening to it very much since that first spliff session. I plan to listen again in a few days and see if i find anything new about it. Untilted however was very jarring when i first heard it and unlikable, and it has grown on me quite alot (it took practically two years)