IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

I don't think I've ever listened to Ae other than (relatively) sober. Having said that while writing this I think getting some green and putting on LP5 would be a fantastic idea. I need to hop into my helicopter and hop over to Ivans.

I don't think I've ever listened to Ae other than (relatively) sober. Having said that while writing this I think getting some green and putting on LP5 would be a fantastic idea. I need to hop into my helicopter and hop over to Ivans.

Do that, man! You'll find so many new details in the music that way.

wow! so many addicts on watmm :cat:

Haha, yeah, man. When I'm not busy shooting shit into my vein behind some trash can I browse WATMM.

Typical offensiveness of an addict! You're impossible to talk with! Now i know how Jev feels... :cerious:

:cat: :emotawesomepm9: :cisfor: :beer:jk

Haha, yeah, man. When I'm not busy shooting shit into my vein behind some trash can I browse WATMM.

Typical offensiveness of an addict! You're impossible to talk with! Now i know how Jev feels... :cerious:

You should smoke some Autechre, mate :emotawesomepm9:. Best. Drug. Evah.

You should smoke some Autechre, mate :emotawesomepm9:. Best. Drug. Evah.

it's goodt i agree... but sometimes i feel like i'm smoking too much of it, tbh

Edited by xox

I just bought the Quadrange "EP" ... I needed another 2+ hr release from AE, I guess.

The original took me the longest to appreciate out of all the AE releases but it might be their best. 20 mutant worlds of dance, techno and noise.

Currently listening to "Tkakanren" ... this is a great release. Too bad there's no vinyl :emotawesomepm9:

I just bought the Quadrange "EP" ... I needed another 2+ hr release from AE, I guess.

The original took me the longest to appreciate out of all the AE releases but it might be their best. 20 mutant worlds of dance, techno and noise.

Currently listening to "Tkakanren" ... this is a great release. Too bad there's no vinyl :emotawesomepm9:

get ready for perlence subrange 6-36, it's a journey

a longer version of WNSN would have been amazing

latter part of the 20 track release (from Thewere onwards) has some of the best bits imo

Theswere

WNSN

chenc9

Notwo

Outh9x

totally agree + rale

that was like a precursor to treale

Guest fucktechre

The first time I heard Autechre, in Oakland, I was a young lad not having had any drug experiences. There were two guys in front of me smoking a pipe of green and I stood behind them breathing in as deeply as I could and holding my breath as long as possible. Soon after time stopped and all there was, was Autechre. Wow. It was truly magnificent.

It's a shame I haven't tried techre with acid, maybe some day (taking a hiatus), but I dunno... I tried it with ketamine and I don't think that the two mix, at least not with Quaristice (hey wait I'm remembering that time where I had a random playlist. Incunabula was awesome). I felt like I was in a space carwash the whole time, getting mashed and smashed in space gears. Heh.

Damn. Have any of you ever heard of Solar Fields? If not... please listen to the 'Leaving Home' album. It's beautiful and jet fuel to Shpongle land.

Also, my take on drugs:

Our brain is a central processing unit (CPU) responsible for sending/receiving electrical signals to the rest of our body's systems. With quick access memory (cache), random access memory (short-term memory), hard disks (long term memory), inputs (touch, sight, taste, sound), outputs (speach, object manipulation), etc., we begin to appear a parallel to computer systems. Our neural network acts very much like our internet, every node interconnected and responsible for transmitting data to expected recipients as quickly and efficiently as possible. If one node goes down or is busy, the brain/internet already has a algorithm for routing around that node, seamlessly. Further more into the analogy a computer basically processes input and creates output, nothing more, and nothing less. Our neurotransmitters are akin to software programs. Dopamine, serotonin, Lysergic Acid Diethilamide, Psilocybin, each software program is something akin to an operating system. Our brain is the hardware, that doesn't change, but the operating system makes use of different algorithms which access data in distinct ways, doing different things with the data and expecting different results. Like a switch on an old telephone network or like a highway with plasticity, drugs allow one to patch into different parts of the brain not normally used to transmitting/receiving data from point Æ to point Ø.

My final time constrained take away regarding the ethics of drugs and music is this:

Either things route traffic through the brain in ways which we don't understand and ellicit feelings/sensations of joy, connectedness with others, irritability, rage, love, ecstasy, etc. The important thing (for me) is to choose the experience consciously, do it in a responsible and comfortable environment, and in such a way that it doesn't put your or others safety at risk, for example playing Autechre loudly in the intensive care unit of a hospital or taking an entheogen in a setting that may leave you psycho/emotionally scarred and others fearful.

This isn't even touching on the topic of drug addiction, which is serious, but hey we're talking about music appreciation via alternative routing algorithms. :sleep:

Edited by fucktechre

Guest fucktechre

There's also the 'Acid Dub Nucleik' album by High Tone. I can't more highly recommend this for Lucy Sky Diamonds. It makes you feel crazy in that Lucy way. It's so nice. :happy:

Edited by fucktechre

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. I find it a bit sad that some people need drugs to enjoy Ae. No offence to anyone. Just thinking.

I agree with you that people who say you NEED drugs to enjoy Autechre (or anything, really) are in an unfortunate and unenviable position.

However, most Autechre fans (here especially) already enjoy the music... or they wouldn't be fans in the first place. The talk about listening to AE on drugs is mostly about looking at the music from a different angle/gaining a new perspective. I think that's totally valid, and not too far removed from listening to music on great headphones or on a large system, alone/with friends, in the car, at a party etc. These sorts of factors can have a rather large impact on one's enjoyment of music.

• 1 month later...

I don't know. I find it a bit sad that some people need drugs to enjoy Ae. No offence to anyone. Just thinking.

I agree with you that people who say you NEED drugs to enjoy Autechre (or anything, really) are in an unfortunate and unenviable position.

However, most Autechre fans (here especially) already enjoy the music... or they wouldn't be fans in the first place. The talk about listening to AE on drugs is mostly about looking at the music from a different angle/gaining a new perspective. I think that's totally valid, and not too far removed from listening to music on great headphones or on a large system, alone/with friends, in the car, at a party etc. These sorts of factors can have a rather large impact on one's enjoyment of music.

You are definitely right.

• 2 months later...

A curious thing I just realized:

90101-51-1 looks like a CAS number (a numerical identifier, which all known chemical compounds have been assigned). It has identical formatting (XXXXX-XX-X), but I can't find any information on a compound with that number.

Perhaps it's the identifier Sean & Rob gave to their chemical which transforms people into Braindance-craving aspies upon subsequent subjection to the track of the same name.

Perhaps.

Crazy to think the Quaristice stuff is almost 7 years old now.

I'm definitely appreciating Quaristice the album more as time goes by. As opposed to mixing it up with tracks from Versions and Quadrange.

Right on. Quaristice shines in my mind for the last two (y)ears. Haven't really gave Oversteps/Move of ten and Exai a proper listen yet. I let them mature in my cellar :)

Funny thing, some years ago I thought Quaristice is their weakest album. I'm so happy I was wrong. I love you Ae.

edit: that was my 1111th post!!

Edited by Godwin Austen

• 5 weeks later...

I think this is solidifying as my favorite Autechre album.

Over the last year or so I've cooled off a bit on Exai, warmed up to L-Event a lot, almost completely forgotten about Oversteps, and become slightly more enthusiastic about Move of Ten. I also find myself listening to Draft 7.30 more although still finding it mostly impenetrable (in that enjoyably Autechre way)

But yeah I see this now as like the gorgeous love child of Draft 7.30 and Untilted. It's got that live, off-the-cuff flavor and hardware roughness, but it's also been edited under the microscope like a Kubrick movie. The mixing is the best of both worlds too (the Plc is incredible!), delicate but not precious.

Tasty album, they'd clearly found their stride with the tools they were rocking at the time. I hope we hear a similarly brilliant Max workout soon...

• 2 months later...

Simmm, Paralel Suns, Rale, and especially Chenc9 are the main trax that keep me coming back to Quaristice. Plus 2008 was an important year for me in a personal sense.

Edited by ambermonk

I think this is solidifying as my favorite Autechre album.

Yeah that place will always be reserved in my heart for Chiastic Slide, but Quaristice comes close, if only because of the option of experiencing 4+ hours of gradually lengthening and unfolding versions by listening to the allbum, the Japanese tracks, the Versions, and then the "EP" all in succssion. One of my favorite things to do when I have the time to listen to it all uninterrupted. It's like peeling an onion more and more slowly, until you reach "subrange 6-36" which is just sublime. A great experience.

edit: an onion is visually the right metaphor, but 6-36 is probably more like a really good mango, i think.

Edited by blanketforts

• 4 months later...