IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

Be nice if they put Quadrange up on Spotify, save me digging around for it. I think it’s time to fire up the old Sony HD Walkman as I know it lurks about on there, (as does my Soundcloud dump compilation) and various other CD treats like Bochum Welt. Hail The Wolfman! hail The Walkman! (hoof to the roof, claw to the floor)

• Farnsworth 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think this album finally clicked with me just now

Blyz Castl kicks so much ass also

I definitely want to listen to the rest of the era today (including that replicated live set). I think this will be pretty fun!

Edited by X4creek
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, X4creek said:

I think this album finally clicked with me just now

Blyz Castl kicks so much ass also

I definitely want to listen to the rest of the era today (including that replicated live set). I think this will be pretty fun!

13 years to click with Quaristice? This gives me hope that Chiastic Slide might click with me one day ...perhaps in another decade or so.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

13 years to click with Quaristice? This gives me hope that Chiastic Slide might click with me one day ...perhaps in another decade or so.

ah no i first listened to it in April 2019 haha its just that since then ive liked it but it never fully clicked with me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, X4creek said:

ah no i first listened to it in April 2019 haha its just that since then ive liked it but it never fully clicked with me

I had that fairly recently with Quaristice (I say that, it was before the first lockdown so probably like 3 years ago...time goes fast with kids). Always liked it but one day out walking and listening it was like I'd never heard it before. The autechre effect.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2021 at 12:17 AM, Iwanttobefree said:

Fol4 is my favorite thing they have ever done and it's completely unmatched by anything else. No such a track exist that would be even remotely close to it. Also Perlence Suns ❤️

fuck yeah Fol4

i always thought there's a heavy Throbbing Gristle influence in that one, wouldn't sound out of place on some of the late period TG albums

• 1 month later...

The rhythmic rustling around eight minutes into The PlcCpC is so fucking masterful. Having a relisten to Quaristice (versions) to christen my new last.fm account/new computer. The springy bell sound starting around 4:13 in Perlence range 3. Fuuuuuuuuuck. This shit gets better and better and it's already 14 years old and remains leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other things. I am grateful Tankakern gets the "triple feature" treatment appearing on the main LP, the dubs (Tankraken), and Quadrange (Tkakanren).

How physical some of these sounds are for something so digitally produced is in itself a mindfuck like no other. This applies to a lot more than just fol4, but really, who among us is not grateful for every second of the almost 12 minutes of fol4? Sweet Jesus, that's a gourmet feast for the ears if there ever was one.

At least three small missed opportunities, though, which only an Ae obsessive could possibly have. The first of which is that both Phlyopn and plyPhon are around 2:40 it could have been nice to expand somewhat more. Secondly, I would have loved an alternate take or expansion of Simmm. Many of these sounds are found elsewhere so those are both kinda moot. Lastly, I wish SonDEre-ix was at least twice as long, it feels like a real underdog. Besides that my only gripe is Altichyre was unneeded, even if it was rather pretty.

[Damn, I wish I had a hard copy. Can I buy FLAC/WAV of it from Sean and Rob the way I can the main album on the Ae Store somehow? I would absolutely pay twice the price of Quaristice or more if it came with lossless files of these extended versions]

• Like 8

1 hour ago, splesh said:

How physical some of these sounds are for something so digitally produced is in itself a mindfuck like no other.

Quaristice et al is partly/mostly/all hardware, right? i know it logically doesn't exactly make sense but often i find more 'raw' sounding hardware-created music can feel more physical. this doesn't seem to track when the recordings are hella tweaked in post-production (see: Untilted) but i always chalked up the more visceral feelings of Quaristice to the mostly-raw mostly-hardware recordings (rightly or wrongly)

• Like 2

yeah, plenty of interviews state that quaristice was at first an attempt to record their hardware live jams from the untilted tour. Those turned into their own thing.  Oddly, Untilted has a much more 'hardware' vibe to me. It feels like a lot of the sounds are more static, vs fluid/fluctuating sounds on Quaristice.

• Like 1

imo the physicalness of the quari family is probably mostly related to monomachine. i always like that about mnonomachine! ...still miss mine sometimes

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, splesh said:

Also, tickled pink/pleased as punch at the six takes of 90101

Seven if you count 9013-2

36 minutes ago, xox said:

imo the physicalness of the quari family is probably mostly related to monomachine. i always like that about mnonomachine! ...still miss mine sometimes

World needs more physical modeling/granular synthesis hardware imo

59 minutes ago, auxien said:

Quaristice et al is partly/mostly/all hardware, right? i know it logically doesn't exactly make sense but often i find more 'raw' sounding hardware-created music can feel more physical. this doesn't seem to track when the recordings are hella tweaked in post-production (see: Untilted) but i always chalked up the more visceral feelings of Quaristice to the mostly-raw mostly-hardware recordings (rightly or wrongly)

I think a lot of Quari is *triggered* hardware, hence all the MPC program files, Nord sysex, etc. we got from this era

48 minutes ago, xox said:

Yes, this is what I mean by physical; many sounds seem like recordings, possibly, in many cases, tweaked sample/samples of nonsynthesized origin/origins and/or some absolutely next level physical modeling

• Like 1

11 hours ago, splesh said:

many sounds seem like recordings, possibly, in many cases, tweaked sample/samples of nonsynthesized origin/origins

there's a lot of this on here, possibly more than we've ever realized. almost certainly contributes to that 'physical' sound, having those contrasting textures all existing together in the same space (and in the case of the samples/recordings, each one can represent a collection of textures)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, splesh said:

I am grateful Tankakern gets the "triple feature" treatment appearing on the main LP, the dubs (Tankraken), and Quadrange (Tkakanren).

I love these tracks so much. All hail the tan kraken

71RE48ae17L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

• 5 months later...
56 minutes ago, niversal said:

image.thumb.png.51753addfeaccc69bebbf2717d34a7b4.png

this'll go really well with the MPC4000 in my xylin room, maybe next to the cichli suite. or maybe in the brown booth with the maetl rales and th red a. plenty of spaces, how v 1 1 is we r are y777th slip overand recks on. for key nell i said gonk steady one! it's lost. just leave it in the trees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 2

• 8 months later...

Currently enjoying Quaristice and the various versions. Just put them all in a tracklist, sorted alphabetically, and spot the favourites. Have to say though, that often I prefer the versions from the original album. Mostly shorter and more succinct versions. But that's also because I'm not a big fan of those long drawn out ambient tracks. Not my cup of tea. Although I can understand them as statements, if you will.

Thing is, I'm appreciating the album more thanks to all the live versions and moments. So many recognisable themes and bits on that album. Bit of nostalgia. Without any of it sounding dated to my ears. I think I underrated it. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still wishing I could buy Quadrange and all the other Quaristice "extras" in the AE_STORE ?

Also getting a major Quaristice-like vibe off "elcy9 7hres" right now.

Edited by splesh
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but an amusing anecdote:

I had a Quaristice promotional poster up for sale on ebay, and it recently sold. After looking at the seller details...it just so happens to be another USA based Warp artist 😉

Edited by YELLOW

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2023 at 4:16 PM, YELLOW said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but an amusing anecdote:

I had a Quaristice promotional poster up for sale on ebay, and it recently sold. After looking at the seller details...it just so happens to be another USA based Warp artist 😉

yo mean the buyer's details?

I am still lamenting I cannot buy "legitimate" music files of Quaristice (versions) and Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae

sean pls

rob pls

21 minutes ago, splesh said:

I am still lamenting I cannot buy "legitimate" music files of Quaristice (versions) and Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae

sean pls

rob pls

they’re available on Bleep & on sale in fact: https://bleep.com/release/9232-autechre-quaristicequadrangeepae

the steel case Versions are still not available anywhere (legally…) other than the bonus CD, tho