IGNORED

should i get this Laptop

Atari Tech

Well i'm getting a new laptop, i was thinking about getting a macbook (and switching to logic) , after hearing about FL studio 8 (mainly it's beatslicing feature) I;ve decided to stick with PC, i'm going to be running Reason 4, FL studio 8 and a couple of sample libraries so this is the laptop that i'm looking at (keeping in mind that i always regreted that my last laptop was not powerful enough)

From Dell

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)

Windows® XP Home

3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

Anti-glare, widescreen 15.4 inch display

Speed: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor

CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)

is this laptop powerful enough not just to run what i want to right now, as well as being powerful enough for the future?

Guest Laughable Butane Bob

I think it's 2GB... I'm not 100% sure... but we threw 4GB into my friends 32bit XP system and he had crashes until he took half of it out. 2GB of fast ram should be enough...

That's a good price... I like the Intel Core2Duo chips. Amazing little bastards...

I think it's 2GB... I'm not 100% sure... but we threw 4GB into my friends 32bit XP system and he had crashes until he took half of it out. 2GB of fast ram should be enough...

That's a good price... I like the Intel Core2Duo chips. Amazing little bastards...

Well if the limit is two GB my price goes down to $1290 with tax, so would that be better in terms of cost vs. power?

Guest greenbank

that sounds pretty good, and you def want xp on a laptop - mine came with vista and ran for 2.5-3hrs max and with xp now does 3.5-4max! 2 gig of ram should be fine, i've got 2 and i can't see any difference with anything over 1 really. maybe if you do video or large scale graphic work you'd need more but in my experience if i'm chucking about hordes of sounds in multiple programs then 2 is still easily enough. decent price too - that's £150 or so less than i paid for a similar but slightly lower spec laptop 6 months ago. go for it!

(and remember - if you can make music on your laptop now then you can still do so until it stops working (hopefully) years from now, it just depends on how desperate you are for the very latest stuff!)

Guest Drahken

That seemed a bit high at first glance...I loath purchasing machines for work through Dell because their site gives out different prices constantly. The last laptop I got from them was about $1500 and I got anywhere from $1450-$2000 on the price over the course of a month of specing out machines.

Seems like you have to pick the right starting machine or else they own you on the customization swap outs. I'd suggest playing around a bit with those specs and see if you can't get a better price. For 2gb 1.1k is pretty decent, but if you wait a bit you might be able to shave a couple hundred more off. A free 1gb upgrade offer on the RAM would probably do it. Seems like those pop up every couple of weeks.

can somebody please name a few pros and cons with xp vs vista because i am buying a laptop and they all seem to have vista on which just automatically puts me off... i really want xp. is it much of a problem switching OS if i buy one with vista????

can somebody please name a few pros and cons with xp vs vista because i am buying a laptop and they all seem to have vista on which just automatically puts me off... i really want xp. is it much of a problem switching OS if i buy one with vista????

I do not know if it's different in the UK, but in the US both dell and lenovo/IBM still sell laptops with xp pre installed. and what i've heard is that if you buy a PC with vista business edition for the aforementioned sellers or HP you can get a "downgrade" disc for XP.

buy lenovo/ibm thinkpads

they are the proverbial bomb

I looked at thinkpads but for a machine with almost the same spec (it had xp professional instead of home) it would have cost me $150 more than the dell for the same spec. so would it be worth it to spend the extra cash?

Guest Laughable Butane Bob
I'm not a fan of vista haters, but if you want to make audio... run XP... you gain nothing from vista

Guest hahathhat
buy lenovo/ibm thinkpads

I looked at thinkpads but for a machine with almost the same spec (it had xp professional instead of home) it would have cost me $150 more than the dell for the same spec. so would it be worth it to spend the extra cash?

how long do you plan to own it?

is it going everywhere or just around the house?

are you a nerd?

thinkpads tend to be very solid, have neat little widgets (keyboard light) and a nice feel

but if you can't tell a mac from a pc, feel won't matter that much to you, and if you get a new laptop every two years, a dell could probably do you fine.

buy lenovo/ibm thinkpads

how long do you plan to own it?

is it going everywhere or just around the house?

are you a nerd?

thinkpads tend to be very solid, have neat little widgets (keyboard light) and a nice feel

but if you can't tell a mac from a pc, feel won't matter that much to you, and if you get a new laptop every two years, a dell could probably do you fine.

Actually i want the computer to last for a while so a powerbook would be better? i don;t move it around much (it usually lives on my desk) and i know the difference between a mac and pc it's just that the improvements in FL studio 8 make it more useful than learning a whole new sequencer and OS.

Guest hahathhat

macs can run windows stuff now, i've heard - boot camp

but, i know little about macs in that regard. i have never owned a powerbook, but i have owned dells and thinkpads... hence my speculation/positions.

macs can run windows stuff now, i've heard - boot camp

but, i know little about macs in that regard. i have never owned a powerbook, but i have owned dells and thinkpads... hence my speculation/positions.

[/quote/]

yeah looking at the lenovo website i found a thinkpad (the R61 series) that's the same price (actually a litte less once you take free shipping into account) with the same specs of the other thinkpad and the dell, but also has a dedicated graphics card (nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M) whcih should take pressure of the processor, so that's what i am going to get.

Archived