IGNORED

Spectrasonics Omnisphere

acid1

Count me in. I'm very excited about this. I'm a huge fan of Spectrasonics stuff. Stylus is the jam. But this looks to be very promising. Supposedly out sept of this year.

PS- Acid1 I once saw a framed piece of blotter (the whole sheet) of that exact pic from your avatar. I really wanted to buy it but it was $150 b/c it was signed by Timothy Leary which I didn't really care about. Awesome artwork. Actually I just looked online and I guess you can buy it for 45 bucks, one of the originals. May have to do that one day.

This thing has generated more buzz than any other software at NAMM 2008... I love the electroacoustic / musique concrete samples like the drying rack with acoustic guitars bolted to it and the piano in flames. Normally I'm all for creating your own samples and field recording but how often do you get the chance to sample a burning piano?

Sounds like a very smooth granular resynthesis algorithm too. I hope they let you import and work with your own samples instead of just the library samples.

this site says the following:

The revolutionary ‘Power Synth’ breaks completely new sonic ground by combining a wide variety of hybrid realtime synthesis techniques

what does combining a variety of hybrid realtime synthesis techniques even mean? if synthesis techniques exist which are hybrid in nature already, then doesn't that mean it's not a big deal that you say you're combining them? or is that where the realtime element comes into play.

Edited by taphead

• 7 months later...
Guest bontempi

i don't get it ...

most people making electronic music make their own samples, right ?

i make music for tv documentaries and stuff, and i can tell you Atmosphere and other spectrasonic stuff (distorted reality, stylus...) is used all over the place on tv. these are useful tools to get the job done quickly and to impress the clients ...

but using for personal music ? never ever thought of that...

Yeah your right, this isn't electronic music enough. bontempi, please supply me a suitable list of synths that I am able to use, and methods of using them. If we make our own samples, are we allowed to use presets, please help me drawn the line between electronic music and non electronic music, thanks!

• 2 years later...
Guest Scrambled Ears

i don't get it ...

most people making electronic music make their own samples, right ?

i make music for tv documentaries and stuff, and i can tell you Atmosphere and other spectrasonic stuff (distorted reality, stylus...) is used all over the place on tv. these are useful tools to get the job done quickly and to impress the clients ...

but using for personal music ? never ever thought of that...

bumping and old thread

i was kind of thinking of using this for this purpose. anyone do that? is it worth it?

Guest Scrambled Ears

It's definitely worth it but make sure to cover up all traces that Omnisphere leaves behind. It's easy to hear when it's being used

ya that was kind of my impression

I know that they've put tremendous amounts of time into creating Omnisphere and it contains awesome amounts of fantastic recordings but using it kinda feels like cheating - even if you manipulate with the sounds afterwards. Just create your own ambient pads by using strings or pianos as impulse responses or add ridiculous amounts of reverb to short stabs. It'll sound and feel better - in your pants.

• 10 years later...

11 years later...

i listened to a recent podcast where four tet was raving about omnisphere. Maybe he was just doing it to get a kickback because it was one of the sponsors of the pod (the Jamie Liddell audiophiles one), but it still got me interested.

what is the actual value in something like this? Yeah it has a huge mod matrix with like 128 total oscillators, but you can easily build complex instrument racks in ableton with tons of voices.

So then the only limit in both cases is your processing power. All the videos on omnisphere are too cringe to watch, but from what I can tell, this is essentially a big box of presets, or as one HOW TO MAKE R&B on omnisphere video put it, “the google of presets”, which doesn’t interest me as much as spending the money on a emu proteus 2, Roland sound canvas, jv1080, and or a d-50.

the sounds I’ve heard on omnisphere are all pretty cheesy but do sound very “good”.