IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Finished a book by Thomas Ligotti, it was awesome but fucking hell it was nihilistic, on to The Book of English Magic next, might become a druid and move to the woods.

Finished a book by Thomas Ligotti, it was awesome but fucking hell it was nihilistic, on to The Book of English Magic next, might become a druid and move to the woods.

Well IDM m8

Which Ligotti did you read? I'm not sure which of his to work on next...

sent using magic space waves

Well IDM m8

Which Ligotti did you read? I'm not sure which of his to work on next...

sent using magic space waves

Teatro Grottesco, I'd recommend it if you haven't read it already, his Songs of a Dead Dreamer has just been released in the Penguin Classics range which is quite an honour.

Finished The Pale King, pretty good for a book that is basically a 500 page introduction to a novel that will never be written. Shame.

Onto the Corrections, which had me laughing within five pages. I have high hopes.

double-checking statto referencing required plenty of this today

Krautrocksampler.gif

genius research on a scene that only really lasted 5/6 years and produced some of the finest records known to mankind

Edited by cwmbrancity

I'm re-reading the Fellowship of the Ring and enjoying it thoroughly. That's the advantages of having an absolutely awful memory, I can re-read a book and still be surprised by the contents.

I've been reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, and this is completely different from that I was expecting. Of all of the things I was prepared for, this just came out of nowhere, and it's incredible. So far, I'm enjoying this vastly more than Dubliners. For something that started out so innocent, it's getting dark as hell (literally).

Also I got a big stack of really nice philosophical books at a book sale for dirt cheap, so I've been reading a bit of The Critique of Pure Reason, which is also getting very interesting in a different way.

Edited by drillkicker

I'm re-reading the Fellowship of the Ring and enjoying it thoroughly. That's the advantages of having an absolutely awful memory, I can re-read a book and still be surprised by the contents.

Yeah, that's something I've wanted to do for a while, since it's been a long time and I wasn't aware of all the theological themes the book had the first time I read it. Joyce is keeping me really interested at the moment, though.

Yeah, that's something I've wanted to do for a while, since it's been a long time and I wasn't aware of all the theological themes the book had the first time I read it. Joyce is keeping me really interested at the moment, though.

Going through the Council of Elrond again keeps me from ever re-reading that one.

Going through the Council of Elrond again keeps me from ever re-reading that one.

The Council of Elrond isn't too bad, I read quite fast though so I guess I get through it quickly. You can always skim-read it or whatever, if it bores you. The Fellowship of the Ring has some great bits in it, like Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-Downs.

Tom Bombadil and the Entmoot are the two parts that I remember as being particularly dreadful to read through. The Ent part has a really great payoff at the end, though.

But it's been years, so I don't know how accurate my memory is.

J.M. Coetzee - Disgrace

Didn't know anything about this, just a book that's been hanging around my flat for the last few years. Started out like a literary character piece or whatever and then suddenly gets heavy as fuck. Enjoyed it, but damn.

Now Jenny Diski - Like Mother.

J.M. Coetzee - Disgrace

Didn't know anything about this, just a book that's been hanging around my flat for the last few years. Started out like a literary character piece or whatever and then suddenly gets heavy as fuck. Enjoyed it, but damn.

Once I had hoped to read every Booker prize winner, fucking hell I was depressed after finishing this one. My plan to read every Booker was soon trashed by Vernon God Little, if that pile of shit can win it then anything can.

Hmm, I read that years ago when a work friend leant it to me. Don't remember hating it but don't remember much about it either.

One of those books charity shops always have multiple copies of lol.

Edit: read the wiki and I do remember it now. Was quite derivative of Confederacy of Dunces.

Edited by hello spiral

Hmm, I read that years ago when a work friend leant it to me. Don't remember hating it but don't remember much about it either.

One of those books charity shops always have multiple copies of lol.

Edit: read the wiki and I do remember it now. Was quite derivative of Confederacy of Dunces.

I've had an unread copy of Confederacy of Dunces for a few years, if they are similar it may stay unread for a few years more. I normally stick reading any old rubbish but that was particularly bad, If I'd known the DBC in his name stood for Dirty But Clean I would never have started it in the first place.

Edited by tec

Nah check out CoD. Hilarious book. The antihero, Ignatious J Reilly, is a proto version of the iamverysmart neckbeard fedora man we all know and love today.

Haha, I can't get enough of those guys.

Old '60s/'70s sci-fi paperback covers are mental, there's an Oxfam bookshop near where I live that's full of them, need to swing down and pick a few up actually, get some futuristic turbo trash with mind-blowing art.

Got this a while ago, the novel itself had been on my to-read list for a while and wasn't really as good as I'd hoped, although the concept itself is great:

51G150XN37L.jpg