IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

On the last few chapters of The Great And Secret Show, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every page. Pretty much impossible such a story is going to end up as a disappointment so I can give it an easy 8/10 without even getting to the end!

Had a good run of reads so I don't want to spoil the momentum (just ordered Laird Barrons Occultation)

Anything you can recommend then let me know (dark, horror, fantasy, supernatural)

Edited by beerwolf

beerwolf - i rec I Am Legend

currently reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage

pretty standard Murakami affair. most of the way through and not a lot has happened.

Reading several books at the same time again..

Murakami - Sleeping Woman, Blind Willow (second time)

Gibson - Spook Country

Mesa Selimovic - The Fortress

beerwolf - i rec I Am Legend

Somebody else also recommended me that, I'll be sure to order it. Cheers.

Edited by beerwolf

On the last few chapters of The Great And Secret Show, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every page. Pretty much impossible such a story is going to end up as a disappointment so I can give it an easy 8/10 without even getting to the end!

Had a good run of reads so I don't want to spoil the momentum (just ordered Laird Barrons Occultation)

Anything you can recommend then let me know (dark, horror, fantasy, supernatural)

Everville by Barker is the sequel to TGASS, it's real good

Cloud Atlas was good, not perfect but braver work than most try to do. Look forward to reading Bone Clocks, which I also have.

Starting on The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I want to see whether or not it really is a turkey (some say so).

I've been trying to give a rest from the endless stacks of comics and graphic novels I tend to read and do some actual reading lately... Currently reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, enjoying it a lot so far. McCarthy definitely has a knack for creating atmosphere with his visual choices of words.

Also picked up Neil Gaiman's American Gods which I plan to read next.

i really want to read more nonfiction but there's so many great books i've yet to read... now on to Bolaño's 2666, hope it's as good as it is long

One of the most emotionally draining books i've ever read. Brilliant, but it is not a happy one.

Edited by misc

Been looking for a good, dark sci-fi read. Something with a good balance of hard/soft, adult themes with as little trite dialogue as possible . My favorite book in this vein is Blindsight by Peter Watts, for comparison's sake.

Studying Ralph Waldo Emerson. Just finished his Essays I and II.

There are certain authors and works that should be a mandatory read for all inhabitants of the planet Earth. He is one of them.

Finally gotten around to reading a book by Italo Calvino (If on a Winter's Night a Traveler). I'm enjoying it but I feel like I probably could have picked a better book to start with

Picked up The Singer's Gun by Emily St John Mandel and Three Moments of an Explosion by China Mieville (Looking for Jake is probably my favorite thing he's done since Perdido/Scar, so). Fresh off my last reread of Wise Man's Fear. Summer is reading weather. Though after these two I should dip into some nonfiction to mix things up.

Where to start with Mieville? Ive read Kraken and one of his short story collections. Bloody hard work though his ghost story set in an Ikea children's play area was pretty deece bra (forum lingo last time i will use it.)

Where to start with Mieville? Ive read Kraken and one of his short story collections. Bloody hard work though his ghost story set in an Ikea children's play area was pretty deece bra (forum lingo last time i will use it.)

Perdido Street Station, no bones about it. Might be intimidating at first as it's rather dense, but it's very rewarding. 

Plus then you can hit the Scar right after (it's set in the same world). 

Been digging into Murakami's 1Q84 lately- a bit slow to start but it's weirdly infectious after a while... I'd recommend for a slow burn.

Been digging into Murakami's 1Q84 lately- a bit slow to start but it's weirdly infectious after a while... I'd recommend for a slow burn.

Mild spoilers. Murakami is hit or miss for me. I had trouble finishing the book, I felt the character development was handled very poorly. If a story has no development it can be frustrating, but his handling of Aomame was just strange. The strong person in the first two books just sort of vanishes and it becomes all about Tengo. I wouldn't put it past myself to have missed something, though.