IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

it's taking me a long long time getting through the last book on 2666. I just don't think Bolaño has anything interesting to say at this point. I need a new york post article or something to explain this book to me. A lot of the characters are just Bolaño blatanly projecting himself... Either keep it all on a single character or try to hide it a little better... meh

to ease the pain ive been reading Borges short stories. He didn't write a single one that was over 20 pages, and each one is jam packed with ideas. Top 3 writer for me

This pretty much sums up how I felt about Savage Detectives.

Just finished A Scanner Darkly. I was hoping for another headfuck like Ubik or The three stigmata of palmer eldritch, but found this one to be a little bit of a slog at times. A little more on the melancholy side. The ending was quite nice, once I realized what was happening. 

Pale Fire is next on my list after that miraculous scene in Blade Runner 2049.

I've read almost all of his major books and ASD is the one that realises the human aspect of his stories the best, something which he himself would probably admit he was not really good at doing. it was shaped directly by his own experiences and therefore came naturally, to an extent. I also found this book completely randomly, before I even knew of PKD or his stature, during a difficult time in my life when I was being crushed by both anxiety and responsibilities and I would just escape to the library for hours every day to read. I felt a lot like Arctor felt - beat, despondent, uncertain of things around him. so I identify with it quite a bit.

I kinda stalled just under 800 pages into Against The Day so I took a break and read a few lighter things.

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Amusing, anecdotal essays. Was very entertaining and funny. Never read him before but will check out more.

Got the DFW essay collection that has the piece about Lynch in it. I've just read that one so far as a come down from Lynch obsession post TP3.

I also chucked A Game of Thrones into the bathroom when the new season started and I've got a few hundred pages into rereading that just from sat-on-toilet reading.

I've read almost all of his major books and ASD is the one that realises the human aspect of his stories the best, something which he himself would probably admit he was not really good at doing. it was shaped directly by his own experiences and therefore came naturally, to an extent.

I was gonna say exactly that, A Scanner Darkly feels way more heartfelt and human than those other 2 books I've mentioned. Ubik feels like it was written by an AI in comparison

• 2 weeks later...

stumbled across a 2nd hand hardcover of jg ballad’s ‘kingdom come’ in the local op shop for $2,

& now halfway thru this pulpy page turner - a black humoured holiday read whose subject matter is a fascist suburban uprising centred around a shopping plaza.

culture jam / 10

kingdom-come-back-cover.jpg

Started John Crowley's Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr and so far so good. I expect nothing but the best from Crowley, of course, he's always delivered with what of his I've read. Little bits of art scattered throughout are lovely and work well with the folky sort of premise suggested so far.

tlBUh6O.jpg

Love that Ballard cover. The way he describes the workers at the shopping centre and his writing of the commuter belt of the M25. 

Just finished the Pale King. When he describes the involuntary sweating and the pages where the characters project themselves into other places are so good. Through boredom you can achieve nirvana. Anyone who has been on a long bicycle journey, the monotony and daily routine of wild camping fits in with this. 

Edited by Echolalia

So I am halfway through Pale Fire by Nabokov. I've wanted to read it for years because of the glorious title. That quote in Blade Runner 2049 sent me running to the library as soon as I discovered the source. This is the second Nabokov work where I am mesmerized by the prose but totally irritated by the narrator? The poem is fantastic but the commentary is such a chore for me.

I may tackle some Beckett short stories next. 

where does a total noob begin with Murakami?

elephant vanishes or wild sheep chase. Then windup bird then maybe Sputnik sweetheart or after the quake. Hard boiled wonderland is his weirdest. Norwegian wood is boring.

Edited by zaphod

Finished Paperbacks from Hell and fighting the urge to go on an eBay splurge for old pulp horrors. The second in the Southern Reach trilogy is next, still no idea how it can be a film.

elephant vanishes or wild sheep chase. Then windup bird then maybe Sputnik sweetheart or after the quake. Hard boiled wonderland is his weirdest. Norwegian wood is boring.
I liked Kafka on the Shore as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard boiled wonderland is his weirdest.

Just bought this yesterday and can't put it down, great stuff, thanks. Looks like I jumped the gun and I'm gonna have to buy another book or two before vacation.

Murakami is pretty consistently excellent. I recently read the Men Without Women anthology and put down Absolutely on Music as well, which was ironically both a boring and completely satisfying read for me. Slowly working through 1q84 for the second time now.