IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Not bleedingly obvious; you're overestimating how well-read I am ;) The Possibility of an Island looks really interesting, thanks!

Ha ... in France Houellebecq is apparently the only author people read who don't read books. According to the literary establishment, which sort of looks down on him.

It's not that bad here in the Netherlands, but yes, Houellebecq is pretty much the only contemporary author I still bother with, so maybe there's some truth in that.

Anyway, enjoy the book. It's the least topical of his novels, I think, which might be good.

Usagi, you haven’t read any William Gibson? Neal Stephenson? Both contemporary writers that are pretty enjoyable. Maybe you meant just fiction, and not SF, and I misunderstood, in which case ignore me.

yes I have pretty much every Gibson book except for the last one, yes I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon and am not inclined to read Anathem or anything later than that, and also yes that I generally meant non-SF (though SF is also welcome).

what I'm really looking for is contemporary writing that captures the "now", the zeitgeist, to use such a wanky word. I want to read stuff that, through the mirror of fiction, expounds on the world we're living in right now, especially people's inner lives and their thoughts and feelings. that's what I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to start. who out there is writing good stories about the present social, psychological, political and technological state of the world, in fiction? who are the new names who will be remembered the way, say, Fitzgerald was remembered for capturing his time?

I will read Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow but that's from 1973 still.

Ah gotcha. Will say that both Gibson’s The Peripheral and Stephenson’s Seveneve and Reamde are all worth the time.

As for the type of stuff you’re looking for, try r/books

Would second The Peripheral. Gibson in much better (perhaps top) form after several books that put me to-zzzz

(Though believe there was a nice Chris Cunningham reference in Pattern Recognition)

I didn’t mind that trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook County, and Zero History) but that’s cause I’m a sucker for Gibson. Also I thought it was a really interesting look at the modern world with just slight technology differences and how big power can move society.

Apparently his new book is a prequel/sequel to The Peripheral where hilllary won the 2016 election. Looking forward to it.

Usagi, you might give “The Shape of Water” a try. It’s by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus.

I didn’t mind that trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook County, and Zero History) but that’s cause I’m a sucker for Gibson. Also I thought it was a really interesting look at the modern world with just slight technology differences and how big power can move society.

Apparently his new book is a prequel/sequel to The Peripheral where hilllary won the 2016 election. Looking forward to it.

Usagi, you might give “The Shape of Water” a try. It’s by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus.

Hey wait ... there's a sequel to Pattern Recognition?

Never really got into Gibson, but Pattern Recognition I could get into, probably because it wasn't so sci-fi-ish.

Might check that out, thanks.

The Táin

41vrA1F-ccL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and

Irish Gothic Fairy Stories from the 32 Counties of Ireland

image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/irish-gothic-fairy-stories-from-ireland-s-32-counties-1.3799341

Got these today:)

My Friend chose Irish Gothic to read first

I'm starting The Táin

Any of you Pynchon nuts listened to the podcast Death is Just Around the Corner? Just discovered it and listened to the first episode (episode 67). It begins with a proper deep dive on Inherent Vice bringing Hardcore History levels of context to where Pynchon was coming from with the main themes of the novel. Really really brilliant stuff. Looks like he's done a pretty hefty series on Gravity's Rainbow as well.

I did briefly listen to a podcast that was a group of pynchon nuts working their way through GR and discussing each section at length. I'll try to find out what that one was.

That sounds good I'll check it out.

I did briefly listen to a podcast that was a group of pynchon nuts working their way through GR and discussing each section at length. I'll try to find out what that one was.

Ah you talking about Pynchon in Public by any chance? I've listened to that one a few times, and it is pretty good, but far more of a bookclub style. This one's just one guy and so far has focused more on the historical and political placing of the novel, rather than working through it chapter by chapter. Guy has really got that Pynchon sense of humour down as well.

Ah you talking about Pynchon in Public by any chance? I've listened to that one a few times, and it is pretty good, but far more of a bookclub style. This one's just one guy and so far has focused more on the historical and political placing of the novel, rather than working through it chapter by chapter. Guy has really got that Pynchon sense of humour down as well.

If it's the one that starts with the recreation of one of the pynchon drinking songs then that's it yah.

Yeah one of the big differences I'd say between reading him back in the 70s and 80s and readin it today is you can google/wiki every obscure historical reference you don't get. It's much more illuminating that way.

Totally sends you down a rabbithole though.

I remember one thing I looked up in Vineland that was a cut of steak the Japanese named after a famous opera singer, and it was just a throwaway line with some characters ordering food while in Japan.

I had the opportunity to visit the Sonoran desert last week, stopped at Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West. Noticed a piano in one of his rooms and asked the tour guide about it (she was excellent). He played piano and insisted that all of his students learn music when studying architecture to learn about rhythm, tension, release, etc. - said in his autobiography that architecture was 'music frozen in space' - definitely reminded me of Autechre. Looking forward to checking out that autobiography, was curious if anyone read it or any other good books on architecture. I never really considered it as an art form at length, looks like it has a lot of potential for study and reflection. 

Edited by Guest

If it's the one that starts with the recreation of one of the pynchon drinking songs then that's it yah.

Yeah one of the big differences I'd say between reading him back in the 70s and 80s and readin it today is you can google/wiki every obscure historical reference you don't get. It's much more illuminating that way.

Totally sends you down a rabbithole though.

I remember one thing I looked up in Vineland that was a cut of steak the Japanese named after a famous opera singer, and it was just a throwaway line with some characters ordering food while in Japan.

Hmm maybe not then, I don't remember that at all. If you remember the name of that one lemme know, I wanna do a GR reread at some point soon.

I need more recommendations for good contemporary fiction pls.

Philip Roth is great, especially Sabbath's Theater. One of the funniest and most moving novels I've read. American Pastoral is very good as well. 

Also, in reading that Pynchon posts that came afterward, I saw no love for Mason & Dixon. That's my fav by him, great book! 1997, though, so I guess not that contemporary. His most recent book, Bleeding Edge, has some of his loveliest prose. One character also suggests that Mossad was involved in 9/11 lol. Another character says he likes the Nas song "The World is Yours.' Glad to see Pynchon nod to quality Hip Hop.

Re contemporary stuff, I had one friend swear by Denis Johnson's Jesus Son. Never read it myself, hope to soon, but it sounds good. Still slightly dated at 1992.

Edited by Guest

phillip roth was hit and miss for me.  obviously 'Portnoy's Complaint' is one of the best all out hilarious rants in literature and a forever classic. highly recommend that one. 'Zuckerman Unbound' i a good one too.  there's a few other that were pretty good.

I adore Vineland as well (despite how unwieldy it feels at points, and seeming protagonist Zoyd disappearing for such a vast chunk). Mason & Dixon is the only one I prefer. Bleeding Edge was also treated rather unfairly on release I felt, I expect that to grow in esteem as well, very much of the Vineland/Inherent Vice mold in that it doesn't scream masterwork but is still better than most everything else getting published.

That moment in Pynchon's Vineland where Zoyd Wheeler is bleakly night driving and singing mournfully along to Take It To the Limit always gets me. Some of Pynchon's musical references you never forget, and that song changed for me forever after Vineland.

As mentioned, I still haven't touched the initial phase stuff like Gravity's Rainbow, V and Lot49.

I mentioned Mason & Dixon as my most preferred on 19 Feb, and my enthusiasm for Bleeding Edge in this same paragraph.

I mentioned Mason & Dixon as my most preferred on 19 Feb, and my enthusiasm for Bleeding Edge in this same paragraph.

apologies, Roo. Didn't see that. If you make the decision to read GR, I highly recommend this as a companion: http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/books/gravitys_rainbow_domination_and_freedom

I am not a huge fan of academic lit crit, but this book was really good and essential to my understanding of Gravity's Rainbow, which, after two reads, is still very limited. When you consider whether or not to devote the time needed to read it, I also recommend checking out the 'Byron the Lightbulb' chapter first to see if it is up your alley. Great chapter!

apologies, Roo. Didn't see that. If you make the decision to read GR, I highly recommend this as a companion: http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/books/gravitys_rainbow_domination_and_freedom

I am not a huge fan of academic lit crit, but this book was really good and essential to my understanding of Gravity's Rainbow, which, after two reads, is still very limited. When you consider whether or not to devote the time needed to read it, I also recommend checking out the 'Byron the Lightbulb' chapter first to see if it is up your alley. Great chapter!

Thanks for the recommendations on enrichening my reading experience, I'll certainly keep those in mind. It might be years until I finally get around to GR.

Just finished Eka Kurniawan's "Beauty is a wound". Quite excellent. The book opens with the body of a dead prostitute coming back to life. It ends with ... well, that would be a spoiler.

In between there's a seven day long fistfight between two gangsters, an execution that gets averted as a result of a steaming sex scene and at one point a girl walks into a school classroom naked, claiming to have been raped by a dog.

Knowing a bit about the history of Indonesia adds to the enjoyment, but it's equally entertaining without it.

Not for weak stomachs, though.

Thank fuck I'm finally done with Mona Lisa Overdrive. Neat ending, I guess, but I'm glad to be done with this universe. Time for something completely different.

It finally dawned on me that I don't enjoy binging authors, with few exceptions. I'm going to consciously avoid trilogies for a while.

Last novel I finished was Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". I'm now reading "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe. The latter is a non-fiction first hand account of the growing psychedelic/acid movement... probably easiest if you google a description but holy shit... It reads nothing like a non-fiction book, it's absolutely bonkers what Ken Kesey was doing, and sheds light on all of his other novels if you're a fan. 

It's a bit of a difficult read IMO but it's seriously enthralling. By "difficult read" I mean it changes points of view fairly frequently between very descriptive and stream of consciousness (while drugs were taken); it can be hard to understand what exactly is happening unless you've imbibed and have been in that state of mind yourself before... It's really hard at some points to believe it's non-fiction though with all the crazy shit they do.

Can't recommend it enough. I'd suggest reading those two books in that order tbh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool-Aid_Acid_Test

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

The ending of ECAAT is so patronising, it shows Wolfe as the southern dandy to the max, still, an intriguing insight into the chaos

Might be time to indulge in some good ol’ Grateful Dead, Snr Yuge, 68-77, before the lifestyle, stress and drugs destroyed Garcia

David Crosby’s PERRO sessions, the few Peter Green/GD jams, there’s so much good music worth checking that could tangent out of that reading period

Equally, The Yage Letters by William Burroughs is a bit of a pre-cursor into psychedelic journeys, just avoid the McKennas on La Chorrea

These sentences could be in a better order, but it’s not a perfect world