Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Now Reading

• Please log in to reply
4483 replies to this topic

#4476 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

Mona Lisa Overdrive. Read the whole trilogy and really bored of it now. Only chapter I really enjoyed so far was the assassin talking to the laser-equipped ghost in the alley.

#4477 T3551ER

T3551ER

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 03-August 17

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

I'm not reading this (yet) but I will probably have to at some point. Always been intrigued by this guy's art, and it sounds like this book is, basically, something pulled out of my dreamworld. 

#4478 prdctvsm

prdctvsm

ᬺᬻᬼᬽᬾᬿᮤᮥ ᮦᮧᮨᮩ᮪᮫ᮬᩘᩙᩚᩛᩜᩝ ᩡᩢᩣᩤᩥᩦᩧᩨᩩᩪᩫᩬ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 05-March 08

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

220px-RidersInTheChariot.jpg https://en.wikipedia..._in_the_Chariot /10

#4479 romanticdude

romanticdude

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 09-November 15
  • Interests:long walks on the beaches & strawberries & peaches

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

I'm not reading this (yet) but I will probably have to at some point. Always been intrigued by this guy's art, and it sounds like this book is, basically, something pulled out of my dreamworld.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7sRKEgyZgW8

Damn. I should get this, always dug his work.
You're right, it's something coming straight from what I imagined as a kid when reading synopses of sci fi films I wasn't allowed to watch in TV guides.
I also saw that there's some video game to be released soon that basically steals his style. Sad.

#4480 Taupe Beats

Taupe Beats

Recently Joined

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

5067570.jpg

The Gertrud character is an inspiration of mine. This book's take is quite different than mine on the decisions and fates of the character but I still like the book. It's an interesting background on Dreyer's meticulous research practices and his interest in trying to get past an author's own potential biases in an biographical take on a subject and trying to find more direct evidence of behavior from the subject themselves.

#4481 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

image.jpg

Just finished this and absolutely loved it. Easily the most interesting take on first contact I've read, although completely depressing. Brilliantly illustrates how quickly things could go wrong when entering a completely alien situation with an anthropocentric mindset. Loads of interesting detours on AI, reanimation, the nature of scientific progress etc, as well. This is only the second Lem I've read after Solaris but I'm completely hooked on his work now. Anyone else read this?

#4482 cwmbrancity

cwmbrancity

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • 46 topics
  • Joined 05-January 15

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

no, but you've sold me on it with the concepts

The Incal - re-reading/visually absorbing. Pure distilled joy.

The Tain - crimbo present of a different translation to the version i had as a kid visiting family in Armagh. Anarchic, surreal, utterly baffling at times & echoes of human mannerisms that transcend the centuries. That the whole farce starts as a "pillow-talk" matrimonial row, the outlandish feats by "your man" Cu Chulainn, the mnemonic maps of the Irish landscape & location name biographies, underpinned by a succinct & thorough interpretative intro that i wish i'd accessed earlier in life.

41vrA1F-ccL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#4483 T3551ER

T3551ER

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Joined 03-August 17

Posted Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Damn. I should get this, always dug his work.
You're right, it's something coming straight from what I imagined as a kid when reading synopses of sci fi films I wasn't allowed to watch in TV guides.
I also saw that there's some video game to be released soon that basically steals his style. Sad.

Yeah, heard the same thing (about the video game). Which is shitty shit shit - dude's stuff is so very unique/particular. . . and incredibly well done. Already decided that I'm going to ask for this for my birthday, pretty stoked. . . 

#4484 caze

caze

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,378 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Joined 08-February 15
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/grogatron

Posted Yesterday, 06:06 PM

image.jpg

Just finished this and absolutely loved it. Easily the most interesting take on first contact I've read, although completely depressing. Brilliantly illustrates how quickly things could go wrong when entering a completely alien situation with an anthropocentric mindset. Loads of interesting detours on AI, reanimation, the nature of scientific progress etc, as well. This is only the second Lem I've read after Solaris but I'm completely hooked on his work now. Anyone else read this?

Yes, it's great alright. You should read The Futurological Congress next, has a cool thing where governments bomb each other with hallucinogenic weapons.