Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Now Reading

• Please log in to reply
4570 replies to this topic

#4526 usagi

usagi

part-time roadman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts
  • 99 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10
  • Interests:clean popola, chips and calamari, autocray, lulz archivism, post-thread analysis, elevator shenanigans

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:06 AM

I'll have a look-see.

#4527 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:transcending

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:19 AM

edit: ^ the problem is that the technological aspect has an intense influence of everything else, especially socially. I don't think it can realistically be ignored if you want to capture the times.

Right, that's a hard point to refute. But maybe I'd rather examine the relevant aspects of it in a more abstract way? Kind of like what Black Mirror does I guess.

#4528 span

span

i want to be ban

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • 84 topics
  • Joined 25-November 10

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:31 AM

reading 'the invisible book' by sergei dovlatov. I usually avoid reading translations when the prose or style is a big part of the appeal such as in this case (apparently he wrote so that no two words in a given sentence started with the same letter), but I'll make exceptions. Also I doubt I'm never going to learn russian, so if i've to choose between reading a translation or not reading it at all, and I'm interested enough, i'm getting the translation. Still can't shake the feeling I'm reading an interpretation (which I am) and not the real thing.

On that same note I got a collection of edgar allan poe's short stories translated by Cortazar (Hopscotch, etc) and it's really fun reading comparing his translation to the originals

#4529 span

span

i want to be ban

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts
  • 84 topics
  • Joined 25-November 10

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:33 AM

what I'm really looking for is contemporary writing that captures the "now", the zeitgeist, to use such a wanky word. I want to read stuff that, through the mirror of fiction, expounds on the world we're living in right now, especially people's inner lives and their thoughts and feelings. that's what I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to start.

read ready player one to get a feeling of the cultural hellscape the average western man lives in

#4530 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts
  • 96 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:50 AM

lol

#4531 usagi

usagi

part-time roadman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,000 posts
  • 99 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10
  • Interests:clean popola, chips and calamari, autocray, lulz archivism, post-thread analysis, elevator shenanigans

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

if it doesn't incorporate actual meme images in its printed text, I'm not interested.

#4532 chenGOD

chenGOD

chen is all u need

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,404 posts
  • 376 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:23 AM

Usagi, you haven’t read any William Gibson? Neal Stephenson? Both contemporary writers that are pretty enjoyable. Maybe you meant just fiction, and not SF, and I misunderstood, in which case ignore me.

yes I have pretty much every Gibson book except for the last one, yes I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon and am not inclined to read Anathem or anything later than that, and also yes that I generally meant non-SF (though SF is also welcome).

what I'm really looking for is contemporary writing that captures the "now", the zeitgeist, to use such a wanky word. I want to read stuff that, through the mirror of fiction, expounds on the world we're living in right now, especially people's inner lives and their thoughts and feelings. that's what I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to start. who out there is writing good stories about the present social, psychological, political and technological state of the world, in fiction? who are the new names who will be remembered the way, say, Fitzgerald was remembered for capturing his time?

I will read Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow but that's from 1973 still.

Ah gotcha. Will say that both Gibson’s The Peripheral and Stephenson’s Seveneve and Reamde are all worth the time.

As for the type of stuff you’re looking for, try r/books

#4533 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:07 AM

what I'm really looking for is contemporary writing that captures the "now", the zeitgeist, to use such a wanky word. I want to read stuff that, through the mirror of fiction, expounds on the world we're living in right now, especially people's inner lives and their thoughts and feelings. that's what I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to start. who out there is writing good stories about the present social, psychological, political and technological state of the world, in fiction? who are the new names who will be remembered the way, say, Fitzgerald was remembered for capturing his time?

You could check out Book of Numbers by Joshua Cohen. It's a blisteringly modern book which pretty much has the "now" infused into every sentence. He has quite a similar style to DFW with that hyper-analytical detail and the ability to drop incredibly niche references to a massive variety of fields.

I should say though, I really hated it. I can't quite place what it was that turned me off so much, but by the end I just felt pissed off and relieved to be done. Still though, that could just be personal preference and it might fit your description pretty well.

#4534 rhmilo

rhmilo

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:21 AM

what I'm really looking for is contemporary writing that captures the "now", the zeitgeist, to use such a wanky word. I want to read stuff that, through the mirror of fiction, expounds on the world we're living in right now, especially people's inner lives and their thoughts and feelings. that's what I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to start. who out there is writing good stories about the present social, psychological, political and technological state of the world, in fiction?

Feeling this... minus the technological, though. I wouldn't mind something that kind of ignored cell phones, for example. I'm so tired of cell phones both in reality and in media. Maybe I do want to escape a bit, but in a way that makes me feel more compelled to live more meaningfully, instead of being the literary equivalent of Doritos.

Maybe this is bleedingly obvious, but ... Houellebecq?

#4535 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

what I'm really looking for is contemporary writing that captures the "now", the zeitgeist, to use such a wanky word. I want to read stuff that, through the mirror of fiction, expounds on the world we're living in right now, especially people's inner lives and their thoughts and feelings. that's what I'm looking for, and I have no idea where to start. who out there is writing good stories about the present social, psychological, political and technological state of the world, in fiction?

Feeling this... minus the technological, though. I wouldn't mind something that kind of ignored cell phones, for example. I'm so tired of cell phones both in reality and in media. Maybe I do want to escape a bit, but in a way that makes me feel more compelled to live more meaningfully, instead of being the literary equivalent of Doritos.
Maybe this is bleedingly obvious, but ... Houellebecq?
Not bleedingly obvious; you're overestimating how well-read I am ;) The Possibility of an Island looks really interesting, thanks!

#4536 caze

caze

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  • 8 topics
  • Joined 08-February 15
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/grogatron

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

He has a new one out, won't be out in English til September though.

#4537 rhmilo

rhmilo

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:59 AM

Not bleedingly obvious; you're overestimating how well-read I am ;) The Possibility of an Island looks really interesting, thanks!

Ha ... in France Houellebecq is apparently the only author people read who don't read books. According to the literary establishment, which sort of looks down on him.

It's not that bad here in the Netherlands, but yes, Houellebecq is pretty much the only contemporary author I still bother with, so maybe there's some truth in that.

Anyway, enjoy the book. It's the least topical of his novels, I think, which might be good.

#4538 T3551ER

T3551ER

Recently Joined

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Joined 03-August 17

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:44 PM

Usagi, you haven’t read any William Gibson? Neal Stephenson? Both contemporary writers that are pretty enjoyable. Maybe you meant just fiction, and not SF, and I misunderstood, in which case ignore me.

yes I have pretty much every Gibson book except for the last one, yes I've read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon and am not inclined to read Anathem or anything later than that, and also yes that I generally meant non-SF (though SF is also welcome).

I will read Pynchon/Gravity's Rainbow but that's from 1973 still.
Ah gotcha. Will say that both Gibson’s The Peripheral and Stephenson’s Seveneve and Reamde are all worth the time.

As for the type of stuff you’re looking for, try r/books

Would second The Peripheral. Gibson in much better (perhaps top) form after several books that put me to-zzzz

(Though believe there was a nice Chris Cunningham reference in Pattern Recognition)

#4539 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,914 posts
  • 35 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:48 PM

(Though believe there was a nice Chris Cunningham reference in Pattern Recognition)

Haha yes. When I was reading it, FFF always reminded me of WATMM.

#4540 chenGOD

chenGOD

chen is all u need

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,404 posts
  • 376 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

I didn’t mind that trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook County, and Zero History) but that’s cause I’m a sucker for Gibson. Also I thought it was a really interesting look at the modern world with just slight technology differences and how big power can move society.
Apparently his new book is a prequel/sequel to The Peripheral where hilllary won the 2016 election. Looking forward to it.

Usagi, you might give “The Shape of Water” a try. It’s by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus.

#4541 rhmilo

rhmilo

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 19-November 18

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

I didn’t mind that trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook County, and Zero History) but that’s cause I’m a sucker for Gibson. Also I thought it was a really interesting look at the modern world with just slight technology differences and how big power can move society.
Apparently his new book is a prequel/sequel to The Peripheral where hilllary won the 2016 election. Looking forward to it.

Usagi, you might give “The Shape of Water” a try. It’s by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus.

Hey wait ... there's a sequel to Pattern Recognition?

Never really got into Gibson, but Pattern Recognition I could get into, probably because it wasn't so sci-fi-ish.

Might check that out, thanks.

#4542 diatoms

diatoms

Acid Rave - june 4 2017 Acid Rave flashback - sept 14 2018

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 10-April 14
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/archiediatomsnovak/what-if-i-told-you-that-the-world-you-know-is-just-an-illusion-that-none-of-this-is-real-morpheus

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

The Táin

41vrA1F-ccL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and

Irish Gothic Fairy Stories from the 32 Counties of Ireland

image.jpg

https://www.irishtim...nties-1.3799341

Got these today:)

My Friend chose Irish Gothic to read first

I'm starting The Táin

#4543 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:22 AM

Any of you Pynchon nuts listened to the podcast Death is Just Around the Corner? Just discovered it and listened to the first episode (episode 67). It begins with a proper deep dive on Inherent Vice bringing Hardcore History levels of context to where Pynchon was coming from with the main themes of the novel. Really really brilliant stuff. Looks like he's done a pretty hefty series on Gravity's Rainbow as well.

#4544 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts
  • 96 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:24 AM

I did briefly listen to a podcast that was a group of pynchon nuts working their way through GR and discussing each section at length. I'll try to find out what that one was.

That sounds good I'll check it out.

#4545 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:37 AM

I did briefly listen to a podcast that was a group of pynchon nuts working their way through GR and discussing each section at length. I'll try to find out what that one was.

Ah you talking about Pynchon in Public by any chance? I've listened to that one a few times, and it is pretty good, but far more of a bookclub style. This one's just one guy and so far has focused more on the historical and political placing of the novel, rather than working through it chapter by chapter. Guy has really got that Pynchon sense of humour down as well.

#4546 bitchroast

bitchroast

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 14-November 18

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

recently read all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. 

a nice distraction. 

#4547 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,408 posts
  • 96 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:39 AM

Ah you talking about Pynchon in Public by any chance? I've listened to that one a few times, and it is pretty good, but far more of a bookclub style. This one's just one guy and so far has focused more on the historical and political placing of the novel, rather than working through it chapter by chapter. Guy has really got that Pynchon sense of humour down as well.

If it's the one that starts with the recreation of one of the pynchon drinking songs then that's it yah.

Yeah one of the big differences I'd say between reading him back in the 70s and 80s and readin it today is you can google/wiki every obscure historical reference you don't get. It's much more illuminating that way.

Totally sends you down a rabbithole though.

I remember one thing I looked up in Vineland that was a cut of steak the Japanese named after a famous opera singer, and it was just a throwaway line with some characters ordering food while in Japan.

#4548 Drum Up

Drum Up

Recently Joined

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 13-January 19
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/user-23055699-353945715
  • Interests:60 Hz, 12 - 20 kHz

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:53 AM

I had the opportunity to visit the Sonoran desert last week, stopped at Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West. Noticed a piano in one of his rooms and asked the tour guide about it (she was excellent). He played piano and insisted that all of his students learn music when studying architecture to learn about rhythm, tension, release, etc. - said in his autobiography that architecture was 'music frozen in space' - definitely reminded me of Autechre. Looking forward to checking out that autobiography, was curious if anyone read it or any other good books on architecture. I never really considered it as an art form at length, looks like it has a lot of potential for study and reflection. 

Edited by Drum Up, 02 March 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#4549 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

If it's the one that starts with the recreation of one of the pynchon drinking songs then that's it yah.
Yeah one of the big differences I'd say between reading him back in the 70s and 80s and readin it today is you can google/wiki every obscure historical reference you don't get. It's much more illuminating that way.
Totally sends you down a rabbithole though.
I remember one thing I looked up in Vineland that was a cut of steak the Japanese named after a famous opera singer, and it was just a throwaway line with some characters ordering food while in Japan.
Hmm maybe not then, I don't remember that at all. If you remember the name of that one lemme know, I wanna do a GR reread at some point soon.

#4550 RSP

RSP

2K, On My Way

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Joined 05-May 15
  • Location:The underground aqueduct that connects us to the Lagoon City
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tubularcorporation

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

Finally started Ghosts Of My Life the other day. So far he really nailed it.