IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest serpico009
About to start Chuck Palahniuk's 'Rant' now that it's finally out in paperback.

i saw this the other day, but i dont know if i have it in me to read another palahniuk book, im not 17 anymore

why be a dick and make that equation? As if reading his books as an adult is somehow embarassing. fuck off.

My Life with the Spirits by Lon Milo DuQuette

and Rant is one fucked up book that most 17 year olds might not be able to handle........

Palahniuk isn't one of my favourite authors but I respect him and think that he writes for adults above the age of 17.....

not to say younger people can't handle/understand his ultraviolence and disgustery..........

alternatively I enjoy reading more interesting and timeless novels by lesser known genius' like David Lindsay (A Voyage to Arcturus) or Stephen James (The Crock of Gold) or The Purple Cloud by M P Shiel.............

and famous genius': Philip K Dick, Arthur C Clark, Olaf Stapledon, H G Wells, Nietzsche, Aleister Crowley..........

Currently reading:

WATMM, SA, CPAN manual pages for GD.pm and Math::Fractal::Mandlebrot, Object Oriental Perl tutorial, blib syntax page, code for an automated server maintenance script, google news, gizmodo

lol books are for tards

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awkward

i saw this the other day, but i dont know if i have it in me to read another palahniuk book, im not 17 anymore

why be a dick and make that equation? As if reading his books as an adult is somehow embarassing. fuck off.

i think what he meant was that he read palahniuk when he was 17 and to still be reading it now would be pretty retarded. gotta move forward.

speaking of which i need a new book. a new author even. willing to take recommendations. no best sellers please

i think what he meant was that he read palahniuk when he was 17 and to still be reading it now would be pretty retarded. gotta move forward.

speaking of which i need a new book. a new author even. willing to take recommendations. no best sellers please

yeah i feel the same about palahniuk, i have his whole catalog including some rare prints from over the pond. the last book of his i tried to read was haunted and i got about half way through and stopped.

what kind of read are you lookin' for awkward?

Guest awkward
what kind of read are you lookin' for awkward?

i'm open to all suggestions. i like biographies alot. but know such little history that i sometimes miss alot of references in them. so maybe something historical and entertaining

i'm open to all suggestions. i like biographies alot. but know such little history that i sometimes miss alot of references in them. so maybe something historical and entertaining

well right now i'm reading Charles Minguses autobiography, Beneath the Underdog, which is stupendous! It reads like fiction and is very poetic and atmospheric, and dirty... he talks more about his sex life then he does about his musical career.

Guest awkward

well right now i'm reading Charles Minguses autobiography, Beneath the Underdog, which is stupendous! It reads like fiction and is very poetic and atmospheric, and dirty... he talks more about his sex life then he does about his musical career.

oh that sounds great! i'll see if the library has it. thanks

almost finished "100 Years of Solitude" which I enjoyed. Didn't think I would cause "Love in a time of Cholera" was not really for me.

About to start "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" by Umberto Eco.

dunno what else I've read in between now and the last time I posted in this thread. Wish I had more time to read.

Guest olson

palahniuk is a hack. deal with it.

but at least he's a fun hack to read.

but at least he's a fun hack to read.

and he's actually inspiring a generation of kids to actually pick up a book. if it werent for palahniuk i would have never picked up bukwoski which meant i would have never picked up fante, erickson, baer, clevenger, gibson which means i would have never picked up miller, hamsun, vonnegut, burrows... and so on.... and so on for ever and ever as the books around me stack high, soon to collapse and suffocate me in gulping slurps as their syllables nit pick away at my matter.

Guest loonybin

I just bought and am about to read "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" which was Michael Chabon's debut novel. I have high hopes for it as I thought "Wonderboys" and "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" were amazing and "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" is probably the best book i have ever read.

Also has anyone read his latest effort "Gentlemen of the Road"? I expect I'll probably get that next.

Guest Tetracore
Umberto Eco - The Name Of The Rose

love Eco. Just checked out 'Five Moral Pieces' from the library, gonna check it out soon. Also about to start this:

n156083.jpg

just finished the sot weed factor by john barth.

how was that? i've thought about starting a few of Barth's books, but I've never gotten into them. Difficult read?

Jesus [H.] Christ, "My Life." Pretty good, but a little turgid. The thing with his father is cool, but, again, a little too verbose (like, yeah, got it dude). It reads kind of like Delillo and Milton and Sade (not the singer), whose works I have totally read n' shit and I find that they have the same basic message. The introduction is cool (like many others I always just assumed the Bible was just the name of the book and did not realize that for thousands (5,000? I think? can check, PM me) of decades scholars have been trying to point out his true identity only to find that they are marginalized and even imprisoned!) I was reading in the New York Review of Books (awesome periodical) how, in the 70s, a lot of people started to question their lives (you know, like, what does it all mean) and it was at this epoch that a lot of literature started to emerge to the extent that it was difficult (for the most part) to find out which section in which to look for it. So I asked the clerk who told me that they don't have a data base but he could tell me where to look if I could just give him the title already but I only knew what the book was about and when I read it it seemed like the end was just too cheap, like, "tied in a bow" or whatever. I tried returning it ("no, you can't return a book b/c you didn't like the ending" etc), then I wrote to the editor ('we're sorry, if you'd like to make a complaint please fill out -- in fact, we welcome you to do this -- a form," etc.) Not my day. (right?) So I took the day off and went to my father's house (he's dead, long story but I'm ok, not sad) and looked in the window and around the outside. Went to sleep in the grass but soon found myself all too awake (if you know what I mean) and basically just got the hell right out of there.

Edited by Alcofribas