IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Finished Confederacy of Dunces. Awesome book, very funny. I was wondering if Ignatius would count as an early example of what we now call a neckbeard.

Such a shame about the author.

Now onto Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan.

Preacher Book 3- Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon

Nemesis- Mark Millar, Steve McNiven

Ongoing series: Multiversity, Terminal Hero, Trees, Annihilator

At some point soon, Zenith Phase 1.

And, some bookmarked fic and non-fic to finish off (not much luck there).

I'd like to read Crime & Punishment this winter.

It's the third time I've tried to read Neuromancer. Look, I'm a big reader, I've actually read Gravity's Rainbow FFS, but I just can't get pass page 50 or so from Neuro. It's not bad, it's just that all those texture definitions, it leaves me cold. And the context of the book, the cyberpunk mumbo jumbo, it feels like I'm reading Jules Vernes (sci-fi that didn't age that well) but without the same writing quality.

Edited by Philip Glass

It's the third time I've tried to read Neuromancer. Look, I'm a big reader, I've actually read Gravity's Rainbow FFS, but I just can't get pass page 50 or so from Neuro. It's not bad, it's just that all those texture definitions, it leaves me cold. And the context of the book, the cyberpunk mumbo jumbo, it feels like I'm reading Jules Vernes (sci-fi that didn't age that well) but without the same writing quality.

I love it, I was also blessed to get a signed copy with a heartfelt message from the man himself too.

post-24-0-04259100-1416609685_thumb.jpg

Same here, I've never been able to finish any Gibson.

friends kept pushing me to read something called quantum thief. struggled through the first chapter half of which was incomprehensible. finally started making a little sense but the bath water was getting cold :cerious:

It's great. Sci-fi for the 21st century. No fuss and very little exposition, just got to figure it out yourself. Haven't done it, but think the Quantum Thief trilogy is something that could be better with a second read through. Still waiting for the last book to appear as a paperback. I is poor.

A Thousand Lives - A really interesting piece of longform journalism on the Jonestown massacre

A Brief History of Seven Killings - Politics, violence and drugs in 1970s Jamaica. Good shit.

Julian Barnes - A History of the World in 10½ Chapters. Not what I expected at all. Very, very good. Will reward repeated reads.

Just finishing up Frederik Pohl's Gateway. I've read one of his stories to do with the Heechee before in a classic scifi collection, was entertaining stuff. This is even better, really good ideas in this. It's like a goldrush story set in space. I can't help but imagine the protagonist being some kind've 50's man's man Martin Denny type.

What's the saddest and loneliest book you've ever read? I want to feel, like, alone and shit.

Cormac McCarthy - The Crossing

Was going to reply with the same book! what a desperate tale.

Just Finished Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard. Very good.

Now onto the new William Gisbon.

Just Finished Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard. Very good.

Now onto the new William Gibson.

Edited by fenton

What's the saddest and loneliest book you've ever read? I want to feel, like, alone and shit.

It truly is. I can't think of any other story that's left me feeling so horrible. And I'm considering re-reading it soon... :cry:

It truly is. I can't think of any other story that's left me feeling so horrible. And I'm considering re-reading it soon... :cry:
Great! I read some reviews and it seems is a lifechangin book. But is it a trilogy? Do I need to read others first?

Great! I read some reviews and it seems is a lifechangin book. But is it a trilogy? Do I need to read others first?

I think only Cities of the Plain (book 3) really intersects with the other two. The Crossing can be read on its own. They are all worth your time, though.

Yeah, doublename is entirely correct. All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing, parts 1 and 2 of the trilogy, are entirely unrelated. In fact, The Crossing technically takes place before AtPH, if I remember it all (it's been a few years...). I read The Crossing first in fact, and it didn't matter at all, except I found the other two books didn't really measure up. But honestly, not many books by anyone do.

Julius Evola - Revolt Against The Modern World

Erik Erikson - Childhood and Society

Another book about the developmental stages of the child

And a bunch of papers on education