IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Austin Osman Spare/The Occult Life of London's Legendary Artist - Phil Baker & Alan Moore........proper! not too many of his illustrations, but the complete break-down of his techniques and their provenance

The Magical Universe of WIlliam Burrough - Steven Levi.......bit like the above, very well researched & teases out the roots of Burroughs's's's obsession w/Control.

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy .....3rd reading and its like a whole other universe unto itself. My favourite book, ever.

Would recommend The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick, along w/A Scanner Darkly (ignore the film), VALIS & The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch if you havent read already. Makes Arthur C Clarke (sp?) & every other sci-fi boffin look like a kid playing with its own shit (imho).

A Scanner Darkly (ignore the film)

No way dude! Both the book and film are amazing. The book is possibly my #1 and the film might be in my top 10.

Yes!

The film is a perversion of the book. It doesnt even come close to capturing the absolute sadness of the story, the desparate paranoia and the betrayals that lead to Arctor's fall. Neither does it get at the cosmic irony at the very heart of the film, or relate to the casualty list that PKD included in the book. So theres no context, no depth and PKD must've turned in his grave. RDJ's character is a case in point. Instead of being the complete c*nt the book describes, he lampoons this wise-arse quick-talking stereotype. And how can you justify Keanu in the lead.....WTF???????? This wasnt the Matrix, where the special fx underpin the story. Its an absolute disgrace of a film.

Shame on any1 for liking this "adaptation" ;)

and i only argue this because the book is in my own top-3.

this is sacrilegious material and while i can accept it took some balls and love of the story to even want to try adapting it....i'm sorry but the end result is some stoner joke slap-stick-fest.

Just imagine if David Lynch had made it......or consider what Ridley Scott did w/Blade Runner which was adapted ffrom 1 of PKD's weaker books,

see what i'm getting at?

yeah dune is amazing

picked up david lynch's "catching the big fish." patton oswalt recommended it as a primer to transcendental meditation on the "you made it weird" podcast. of course it's awesome.

Edited by very honest

yeah dune is amazing

picked up david lynch's "catching the big fish." patton oswalt recommended it as a primer to transcendental meditation on the "you made it weird" podcast. of course it's awesome.

cheers for the heads-up on this, ta

Finished up Langan's The Wide, Carnivorous Sky. It was good, I especially liked the 'story notes' he included at the end. I wish more authors did that sort of thing.

Starting on Catherynne M. Valente's Myths of Origin: Four Short Novels. Her style of writing borders on (occasionally crossing over to) pretentious wankery, but it's at least unique. Each of the stories/novellas are a retelling of some myth or another, and I love that sort of stuff, so I had to pick it up (only $2.99 on Kindle!). Just barely into it, but it's keeping me interested. Curious how it's going to go from here.

Edited by auxien

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

I love everything I have read by this woman (which so far is The Secret History and half of this one)

She seems to put out a book every ten years unfortunately :( (1992,2002,2013)

Picked this up years ago in a charity shop but only ever flicked through it.

Recently I've been clearing out my flat and keep seeing it in odd corners as I sort through stuff, might have to give it a proper perusal.

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

I love everything I have read by this woman (which so far is The Secret History and half of this one)

She seems to put out a book every ten years unfortunately :( (1992,2002,2013)

I read the Secret History just before coming to University, it's a pretty sweet book.

could anyone recommend anything similar to Blood Meridian or The Man in the High Castle?

bought a copy of Dune for about 50p from Cardiff market earlier,,,,,,but the above titles have been a huge influence to the point that writing fiction has become almost impossible due their scarily high standards

just finished Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke, really beautiful stuff. started on Niels Lyhne by Jens Peter Jacobsen as per Rilke's praises in Letters; a nice read so far, very classical and elegant. also attempting to get through Gravity's Rainbow but school starting up will likely shit all over that.

Now reading: textbooks for school :(

lel

I'm reading alsos some stuff like that.... Programmiing: Head First series (Python, C#, Java). Those books are amazing! And in the recreative world The Monk (a gothic love story).

Edited by logakght