IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Discographies by Ewan Pearson (aye that EP),,,,,

Superb investigation of dance music with just the right blend of theory and insane human activity. Plenty to think about and although its 1999 if anyone is writing about music/culture its highly recommended. Each chapter covers an era/scene and its been rinsed in a few days which is rare for (usually dry) non-fiction. Only £20 too.

having nvr read alain badiou's philosophy b4, now slowly absorby his 'ethics: an essay on the understanding of evil' (2012), & 'in praise of love' (2009, w. nicolas truong). thought4food /10

• 2 weeks later...

Got 100 pages into Moon Palace by Paul Auster but I wasn't getting into it. Its the 2nd of his I've read/tried to read, I like what he writes about but really don't like his style, gave it a try but gonna give up on him.

Moved on to The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath) which is a better read so far.

Edited by QQQ

Nearly halfway through Gravity's Rainbow taking my time. I only read at work during lunch, so it might be some time before I completely finish it.

Enjoying every page though and the gorgeous language. Maybe one of the best books ever written? I believe it so far...

2066 by R.Bolano read it over the space of a month. Five parts to this and all very different, Bolano is so honest when he writes. Includes glorious depiction of european social behaviour and some truly great ideals that in this public led time would be very hard to accomplish, his romantic view of Archimboldi being an outsider to it all is really interesting to read.

Also read the Bolano short about Return of the Living Dead 3 called The Colonel's Son. Now really want to see this Yuzna classic. Bolano says that the film is closest thing to his own biography he ever saw. As an insomniac and writer of such unique stories I can't stop reading all his stuff.

I'm restarting

Toute l'histoire du monde

Which sounds interesting, though I've read some (negative) reviews that say it is really centered in France. But welp, I will get to know some good history lessons, I guess.
And another book I'm begging to read is I, of the Vortex, bt Rodolfo Llinas. It's difficult to find here where I live!

Kitchen Confidential is fucking great. Like Fear & Loathing: Catering Edition.

Still reading Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. Took a long break half-way and read a bunch of Graphic Novels, wasn't in a bookreading place.

Dived back in now and still enjoying the hell out of it 530 pages in.

Will def check out more Stephenson after this, maybe one of his scifi books.

I'm currently reading Stephenson's Quicksilver. It's pretty heavy going, definitely not a page turner, been at it for months and have finished three other books in the process (it's only book one of three as well, I hope the rest of them manage to pick up the pace a bit). It's really interesting though, and the characters are good, just a shame it's not better written.

fullDScover.jpg

Just finished it up and found it pretty enjoyable. Kean made a book that is accessible to anyone regardless of how much of a background they may or may not have with respect to Chemistry. Each chapter incorporates the different elements that constitute the periodic table and takes a quick look at their (often curious) behavior, usually telling tales that inform you not only about the element itself but also of the men and women who discovered or exploited it and its historical significance. Some of the stuff is just quirky, like learning how the metal Gallium (similar in appearance to aluminum but with a low melting point just below your body temperature) was sometimes formed into spoons as a dinner party prank among fellow scientists, how ingesting colloidal silver leaves people with a rare condition called Argyria that results in permanently blue skin, why Aluminum was at one point more coveted than Gold among the royal elite, or how the longest word in our language can be found in Chemical Abstracts

Acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl-threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine

etc. But it also gets into more significant matters as well. Fritz Haber, a man who won a nobel prize for developing a method which allowed for the fixation of Nitrogen and saved countless people worldwide from starvation, only to become a war criminal shortly thereafter, whose chemical weaponry and research would tear apart his family and lead to many horrific deaths ( later even including his own relatives in nazi gas chambers). Gilbert N. Lewis, a man who did so much for modern Chemistry but received so little recognition as a result of politics and temperament. How a British serial killer employed the use of Thallium to destroy his victims (which the CIA purportedly planned to use to take out Castro). As well as a look into some of the discoveries and personalities involved in the Manhattan project, and hundreds of other stories. Definitely an interesting and engaging read in my opinion.

8/10

Edited by Hail Sagan