IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

^read that last year, great book!

On the last 100 pages of Cryptonomicon now and thinking about what to read next.

I try and take it in turns between heavy books and more pulpy fare so I'm thinking either Clive Barker's Galilee or the first Necroscope by Brian Lumley (I recently scored all 5 of them for £1).

Just finished Metro 2033, you can tell he had a lot of fun doing the worldbuilding for it. Made me glad to be able to go out for a nice walk whenever I fancy it. Haven't played the game.

Currently reading through Exodus by Leon Uris, got it as part of a charity shop bargain haul before Christmas. It's basically about the foundation of the state of Israel, and although it's a touch biased on the Israeli side it's a good read, if a bit dated. Mildly educational too, which is nice.

I've been sitting on the last few bits of Ligotti's Noctuary because I'm not sure what I'm going to start next. Loved this collection, and will definitely be delving into more Ligotti later, just need something else for a while...

Received a very good condition hardcover of Mason & Dixon by Pynchon, despite being nearly twenty years old, very heavy but beautiful. I'm a complete convert to his work, looking forward to plowing through it.

Was checking out my bookshelves randomly, decided by chance to read this :

Zeitoun.jpg

Almost finished with this, really loved City of Thieves and this doesn't dissapoint :

the-25th-hour.jpg

Edited by Philip Glass

Still reading Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. Took a long break half-way and read a bunch of Graphic Novels, wasn't in a bookreading place.

Dived back in now and still enjoying the hell out of it 530 pages in.

Will def check out more Stephenson after this, maybe one of his scifi books.

Cryptonomicon was awesome, never finished it but gotta re read some time..

currently The Martian by Andy Weir... Engineer stranded on Mars improvises survival. Cast Away vs. Gravity is actually an apt summary and this sounds terrible, but the book is well nerdy and this makes it enjoyable.

Which is even a better to reason to read the book first now, so you don't get spoiled by the story or character design or set production from TV ads or the movie itself. Better to have it in your imagination first.

Ex: Is anybody able to read the LOTR book anymore without seeing Ian McKellen as Gandalf?

Edited by Philip Glass

FINALLY finished Gravity's Rainbow...excellent stuff. The whole section about Bryan the light bulb was fun and the ending was bizarre. 9/10

Also bought a cheap copy of The Luminaries, meaning I now have TWO books with 700+ pages each sitting by me, blocking out sunlight. Wish me luck...

FINALLY finished Gravity's Rainbow...excellent stuff. The whole section about Bryan the light bulb was fun and the ending was bizarre. 9/10

Also bought a cheap copy of The Luminaries, meaning I now have TWO books with 700+ pages each sitting by me, blocking out sunlight. Wish me luck...

YES!

Man, I need to reread that.

YES!

Man, I need to reread that.

Me two!

Thought I might skip the poop / castration scenes the second time around...

I was worried when I started it but now the idea of poring over for a second time--perhaps just flipping open to a random page and reading--is genuinely exciting.

Edited by Bechuga

Also reading Oryx & Crake by Atwood on my kindle. Good stuff, very funny and scary as to how many things she mentions as jokes have come true.

Did I mention the kindle is one of the best inventions ever?

Edited by Bechuga

Oryx & Crake is a really amazing book. I read it a few years ago, and I hear from different folks that it is more relevant now than it was before, which is pretty impressive. I'm going to reread it this summer, and hopefully the other two in the series.

+1 for Oryx & Crake. I have it sitting in a pile to reread, last time I read it was when it'd just been published.

It's a trilogy now I believe.

Yeah, with The Year Of The Flood and MaddAddam. Will definitely move onto those after I finish this.