IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I can never forgive Vonnegut for disparaging the semicolon.

He was correct to do so. It really is worthless!

On my Kindle: Lipsky's Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself, Foster Wallace talking about picking his belly button in a frozen airport.

You know, I should read this next before the movie gets out. I already have seen the trailer and I'm pissed a little bit, although they say it's a good indie flick.

You should read it even if the film was not coming out. I'm completely glued to it. I feel kind of sad I'm almost done with it.

I can never forgive Vonnegut for disparaging the semicolon.

He was correct to do so; it really is worthless!

Fixed

how to draw manga vol 1

it's probably the most useful in the whole series

are you planning on drawing a manga?

I'd like to read it if that's the case

Yeah! I've got a script for the first 15 pages or so and am working on the storyboard right now. It's about a delivery girl that ends up delivering documents and stuff for someone who is trying to force the way the town they live in is going to be redeveloped, but the delivery girl doesn't really know so it's basically an excuse to draw people on bicycles and elaborate backgrounds. And to go out on field trips and not feel like I should be doing something else lol. I wanted to do something like Taniguchi's Aruku Hito but less contemplative and less boring and "younger" and with something resembling an actual plot if only vaguely, if that makes any sense.

It's gonna suck because my drawing skills are rather pants but I'll post it when I'm done! Thanks! : D

"The Forgotten Army" - comprised pretty much solely of a British serviceman's letter home from his time stationed in Burma. Nice easy reading so far.

I'm reading this 'cause I'll be going to Utah/Arizona this summer, it's beautifully written, I don't think I remember such vivid writing and descriptions of landscape and fauna in a book :

41%2BCO6sMsPL.jpg

Started it because of a previous comment, need to read it before the movie gets released and I only see Jason Seagal as DFW :

Although_Of_Course.jpg

Edited by Philip Glass

It's good, but I also feel a little dirty about reading it, especially with how nervous Wallace is throughout. Then again, the book had permission from the Wallace family to exist, the film not so much. Still, might watch it when it comes out, a road trip movie that, instead of gross out comedy is about literature and existential angst.

Almost finished Children of Dune. Damn that series is good, even though there's a lot of stuff Herbert wrote I don't understand. The guy sure was high.

Man, the way the book ended was great. The whole second half really ramps up everything, and it really felt tidy at the end. Very necessary, though, given where the series goes from there...

Sent using magic space waves

Tolstoy's Anna Karenina

really nice book. which translation do you have?

yeah definitely. translated to dutch by Wils Huisman

Finally started Bleeding Edge after saying it's on deck for about 2 years.

Bechuga, I think I'll hit up your book after this. I'm convinced that it'll be pretty good based on the negative amazon reviews.

I dunno...it is kinda boring lol. Don't expect any explosions... The reviews are weird: one marks it down for being confusing, another marks it down for being too light. Which one is it, then? :nacmat: Do I make my next book complex or simpler? Who knows... And that five star review is bullshit too: I did no research whatsoever. It was written ignorant of fact checking. :emotawesomepm9:

Serious though, thanks for getting it and hope you enjoy it. I usually start to hate things I've made soon after I've made them, but I'm still fond of that book. Not perfect (90-95% imo), but content.

On my own kindle, I've finished Timequake and I'm moving onto a biggie: Infinite Jest. Even in digital form it weighs a tonne. Wish me luck!

I dunno...it is kinda boring lol. Don't expect any explosions... The reviews are weird: one marks it down for being confusing, another marks it down for being too light. Which one is it, then? :nacmat: Do I make my next book complex or simpler? Who knows... And that five star review is bullshit too: I did no research whatsoever. It was written ignorant of fact checking. :emotawesomepm9:

Serious though, thanks for getting it and hope you enjoy it. I usually start to hate things I've made soon after I've made them, but I'm still fond of that book. Not perfect (90-95% imo), but content.

On my own kindle, I've finished Timequake and I'm moving onto a biggie: Infinite Jest. Even in digital form it weighs a tonne. Wish me luck!

BUT I WANT EXPLOSION

What kind of kindle do you have? If you have a touch kindle of some sort, Infinite Jest is made for it. I started with a standard thick trade paperback but after 100 pages I went ahead and kindled it, for even my manliest of wrists had grown tired. But on the kindle quickly hopping to the endnotes and back with a dainty and precise fondle felt so right.

Edited by baph

BUT I WANT EXPLOSION

What kind of kindle do you have? If you have a touch kindle of some sort, Infinite Jest is made for it. I started with a standard thick trade paperback but after 100 pages I went ahead and kindled it, for even my manliest of wrists had grown tired. But on the kindle quickly hopping to the endnotes and back with a dainty and precise fondle felt so right.

Yeah, I have a touch, and while it sort of works, it doesn't quite send me back to the right page. Not that I can't deal with that. Certainly better than lugging the book around.

BUT I WANT EXPLOSION

Yeah, I have a touch, and while it sort of works, it doesn't quite send me back to the right page. Not that I can't deal with that. Certainly better than lugging the book around.

Oh yeah, I sort of remember that being disconcerting on mine for a while (also a first gen kindle touch)-- what it would do (IIRC?) is return you to a new page, with the first word at the top of the page being the word immediately following the endnote link. Then if you get confused and page back in the main text, the formatting/page breaking reverts to how it initially was (or does it? foggy on that point).

Edited by baph

I just finished The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. Pretty cool.

But I came here to ask: what Lovecraft should I start with?

Pickman's Model is a great, quick introduction. The Colour Out of Space is great; Shadow Out of Time and Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family are personal favorites.

Those are more middle of the road selections...if you're interested in his dreamier stuff, or the more hardcore weird/horror, say and I can make some suggestions there as well. :)

Sent using magic space waves

Oh yeah, I sort of remember that being disconcerting on mine for a while (also a first gen kindle touch)-- what it would do (IIRC?) is return you to a new page, with the first word at the top of the page being the word immediately following the endnote link. Then if you get confused and page back in the main text, the formatting/page breaking reverts to how it initially was (or does it? foggy on that point).

That might be the case, will look carefully at the first word before the end note and see if that's what it does.

Technology is a marvellous thing, eh?