IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

It's sort of sad because Blade Runner was the only filmed work of Dick's he got to see--in pre-release form--and he really liked it, dying before it was released properly. I'm sure he'd have loved A Scanner Darkly too.

I loved that the guy in real life was a paranoid weirdo whos theories never made sense (he held a press conference in France that went very badly). But in book form, they believable to the point your brain gets fucked up a bit. If that's how the world was to him, no wonder he was acted so messed up.

Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima

gonna read this whole Sea of Fertility thing finally

I've read the first two in the set and both are pretty good. Have you read The Sailor That Fell From Grace With The Sea? A much shorter, easier and imo better read. One of my favorite books.

Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima

gonna read this whole Sea of Fertility thing finally

I've read the first two in the set and both are pretty good. Have you read The Sailor That Fell From Grace With The Sea? A much shorter, easier and imo better read. One of my favorite books.

The only other Mishima I've read is Temple of the Golden Pavilion. I'll definitely check out The Sailor That Fell From Grace With The Sea now though.

ive hit a bit of a wall with 'the three body problem' i might leave it for later..

Got recommended Neal Stephenson 'Seveneves' but its another i fear i wont like. My sister bought me anathem hardback for my birthday after recommendations and i didnt get along with it.. anyone here read it?

Might try Valis by PKD..

ive hit a bit of a wall with 'the three body problem' i might leave it for later..

Got recommended Neal Stephenson 'Seveneves' but its another i fear i wont like. My sister bought me anathem hardback for my birthday after recommendations and i didnt get along with it.. anyone here read it?

Might try Valis by PKD..

After I read a long book or I hit a 'wall' I'll move on to an 'easy'/quick read or two. Bukowski was my go-to guy between longer or more 'challenging' books. The shorter Murakami books and stuff like Junkie by William S Burroughs have done well to cleanse my palette in this way as well. I'd say leave VALIS for another day if you've lost focus on another novel. It's not the easiest book to read. Edited by QQQ

i was just going to ask if its tough going - its a bit stiff and (the beginning anyway) is third person and not quite what i imagined.

read some burroughs, never any murakami. i went on a big trilogy splurge (3 body problem, southern reach trilogy, and now valis) and we know how much of a slog they can be

Your right i want something quick and exciting.

finally finished the brothers karamazov and have now started the devils. why do i do this to myself?

I'm currently reading Mason & Dixon at home and Infinite Jest at work. :cerious: I feel this pain.

After this, I'm reading nothing but novellas.

Gave up on Gravity's Rainbow, might pick it up again this summer. Now halfway through...

Ubik: It's been kind of a slow burner so far, 80 pages in and it's still just starting, which is kinda bad when the book is like 200 pages. Still, I hope it gets transcendental and mind-fucky soon

How Music Works: first chapter was good, second chapter was meh (too Byrne/Talking Heads-centric). It's a very easy read. Liking it so far

Might try Valis by PKD..

Seveneves, I've heard, is very much in the vein of 60's/70's 'hard' sci-fi; a thing happens, here's the scramble to fix it, and all the problems that are triggered. Big ideas, big setting, big scope, little characterization, resolution, or reason. That's just from a review I saw that I can't remember the source of at the moment...

Valis has me a bit bored. I'm about 4 chapters in, and instead of being amazed by the crazy shit, I'm already over it. Gonna give it a few more chapters, but I already bought the whole trilogy on Kindle for cheap, figured it was a solid investment.

Anathem is still my favorite recent sf book by a landslide, you should stick with it IMO.

PKD is mostly overrated but this thread is basically a PKD love echo chamber and I'm not going to convince anyone.

decided to read the southern reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. never read him before. its good so far. easy pacing which is nice, and a nebula winner :smile:

decided to read the southern reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. never read him before. its good so far. easy pacing which is nice, and a nebula winner

It's a good trilogy. The second book has its dodgy bits, and kinda meanders around more than you hope, but is well worth it as a part of the three when taken together.

Sent using magic space waves