IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

summer pap - The Bones of Avalon & The Heresy of Dr Dee (by Phil Rickman), simply cos Dr John Dee is the lead, i'm a sucker for magic/bs & the 2nd title is set around the landscapes of the Welsh borders i know so well....fuckin loathe crime fiction but the 1st of these has started excellently......

Musicophilia - chippin away at this mind blowing opus by Oliver Sacks, guy writes so eloquently for a clinician, if you live for music these tails are simply staggering

The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro's flawed but still entertaining delve into the frontiers of Britain during the Anglo-Saxon invasion. Lots of parallels with UKIP today, collective historical amnesia and broader/shared values/cultural heritage. Just wished he'd trusted that weirder tone he strikes at times a bit more fully.

plus some archaeology toss, but no-one deserves any summaries of that brain rot

I don't imagine there are many writers on a music forum. Anyway, I just finished my first fiction novel.

You can pre-order it here if you're interested.

Apologies for the shameless plug.

Synopsis is interesting, let me know when you get some samples up. I'm picky about enjoying the style of writing and pacing before I can get into a novel.

Sent using magic space waves

The Shining. I really don't like King's prose, it's very bland.

Agreed. I've only ever read 'Salem's Lot, but I've tried others as well...his style is very straightforward, pushing the plot and characterization along. Some people love that, and for some stories it's the perfect approach, but for the genres he tends to I don't think his authorial voice and story subject work together to my taste.

I don't imagine there are many writers on a music forum. Anyway, I just finished my first fiction novel.

I write a lot of poetry though. I don't see why anyone wouldn't think that music and writing go well together. They're the same thing but on different mediums. All art comes from the same fundamental source, and that is the soul.

Can't be as dry as Verner von Heidenstam's. For a speculative fiction writer, he had an extremely objective and utilitarian way of describing things.

Edited by drillkicker

Agreed. I've only ever read 'Salem's Lot, but I've tried others as well...his style is very straightforward, pushing the plot and characterization along. Some people love that, and for some stories it's the perfect approach, but for the genres he tends to I don't think his authorial voice and story subject work together to my taste.

sometimes he can get a bit long-winded sure, but when he nails it, he absolutely nails it. and he has done that a fair few times.

i like him because hes all over the place, with his ideas, and sometimes so simple, but extrapolated - he could write a good horror story about a teacup.

nearly finished the southern reach trilogy

actually, can anyone recommend any really amazing supernatural stuff?

Pre-ordered, if the first sentence sucks I'm getting a refund :cerious:

J/k, I look forward to seeing what it's like. Congrats on finishing it!

Just bought Sputnik, My Love from Murakami.

lol well Supûtoniku no koibito in japanese

My favourite Murakami! If you're talking about Sputnik Sweetheart, that is.

Just bought Sputnik, My Love from Murakami.

lol well Supûtoniku no koibito in japanese

My favourite Murakami! If you're talking about Sputnik Sweetheart, that is.

yeah here in my country is called "Sputnik, mi amor" so I thought it was literally the same in english, lel

Finished reading Andy Weir's "The Matian" yesterday, great novel... I have hopes for the movie if they're able to capture the essence of the book well. Matt Damon should do alright as Mark Watney, I'm actually more worried about direction itself and how they do some of the more subtle themes of the book.

Recently finished Stephenson's Seveneves and Gibson's The Peripheral. Enjoyed both, although felt the third part of Seveneves was a little underdeveloped. Don't know what to read next. Feel like something else than scifi, although Atwood's Oryx & Crake trilogy might be interesting. Perhaps some philosophy or some classics.

Martin Wolf's "The Shifts and the Shocks"

9781846146978.jpg

Anthony B. Atkinson - "Inequality: What Can Be Done?"

9780674504769-lg.jpg

Want to read Stephenson and Gibson's next, so pleased to see that azatoth enjoyed both of them.