IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

really enjoyed the 1408 short story, was the first onei went to in EE, as i loved the film. The books better, but the film is still alright, weird how the director

had the place blow up etc when in the book it was melting. much more scarier

changed it so much

you probably read the story first, right? i would if i had

I might start dark tower. Never did before because i dont like cowboys. i think they are dicks. Texas is one of my least want to go places in the world lol

The Temple of Dawn (Sea of Fertility Book 3) by Yukio Mishima

The Beautiful Thing Which Awaits Us All by Laird Barron

Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce

The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen

and a smattering of late 1800s horror stories

Edited by doublename

I've really tried with Dark Tower, read the first in the series, I didn't like it but was persuaded by my brother to give it another try as we are both such fans of King so read it again, still not my cup of tea. Third time lucky?

Just finished The Shallows by Nicolas Carr. About how the internet shapes our minds, not necessarily in a good way. Highly critical of Google and how we are expected to behave on the internet (consuming as much information as possible without going in depth on one thing.) I feel like internet addiction is a very real thing, and many times i find myself browsing for hours on end without any goal or progress and my focus has been waining since using the internet consistently. Of course, I don't think the internet itself is bad, just how it is being used. I recommend this book, not very long.

Man, the ending to Anna Karenina is a bit of a disappointment, anyone agree? Or am I missing something? Gotta say I agree with this article: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2010/feb/01/anna-karenina-ending

Now reading: Bel-Ami by Maupassant. Really nice read and it reads fast too I feel. About 70 pages in I think.

Man, the ending to Anna Karenina is a bit of a disappointment, anyone agree? Or am I missing something? Gotta say I agree with this article: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2010/feb/01/anna-karenina-ending

It's been a few years since I read the book, but now that I think back on it, I do remember the ending being pretty bad compared to the rest of the novel. So it's definitely not just you thinking that

I started with the fifth Dark Tower book, for some reason. Great series anyway.

The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen

Love this one. I've been reading the Carnacki stories lately, slightly similar vibe.

I just downloaded a bunch of those, can't wait to get into them.

The Temple of Dawn (Sea of Fertility Book 3) by Yukio Mishima

How are you finding this series? Temple of Dawn is the next one I have to read.

I thought Spring Snow was brilliant, but Runaway Horses really got bogged down in Mishima's politics to me. A lot of it probably has to do with the effects of political/religious extremism in today's world (and Mishima's own political activities), but I have hard time taking his ethics seriously.

I haven't had a chance to make much more progress in book III, but I'm hoping for more subtle character moments and less of a screed.

Just finished Mind: A Brief Introduction, by John Searle. As it the title suggests it's a good introduction to the topic, written in fairly straight forward language (aside from a minimal sprinkling of the usual philosophical jargon), and it covers the basics and history of the philosophy of mind better than other books I've read on the subject. It is lacking in depth though, the sections at the end on free will and the sense of self are particularly lacking, though he admits as much himself. He also failed to convince me of his Chinese Room argument, which I'd read about in other books before. He only gives a few limited responses and dismisses them fairly quickly without much exploration (another slight flaw in a few other parts of the book). I'm not sure I agree with all of his conclusions in other areas as well, in particular I think he failed to distinguish his own conception of things from certain of the ideas he too quickly dismisses (materialism and epiphenominalism in particular), though this could be a failure on my part to recognise some subtle part of his argument, I dunno.

A good book overall though, and definitely worth a read if you're interested in this stuff.

Edited by caze

Reading a translated copy of Catch 22. I was worried some of the humor was going to get lost in translation but the first chapter has made me laugh already so it's all good

Easily one of the best books I've read. Enjoy it.

Finished House of Leaves. Would be curious to see some good literary critiques of the novel; only came across one or two decent ones online.

Also ran through Nathan Ballingrud's The Visible Filth... essentially just a short story, but a pretty grim and dark one. His short stories are great horror pieces like that generally.

Yeah, it was my first (and likely only) Danielewski book, but it was overall enjoyable; I'd fault it in the ways you'd expect a first novel, done in such an 'artsy' and sprawling way, to be faulted. It was a bit too long, tried a bit too hard, missed on some opportunities that could've taken the story elsewhere, and it definitely was a bit too high-minded. All that said, it was good, and I would surely recommend it for the right type of reader. And there's some really interesting and very intriguing aspects to the text that I'd love to delve into deeper than I can alone; the current forums (I haven't checked reddit yet...) seem to be dead, and at first glance, I didn't see much to warrant sifting through hundreds of 10 year old posts.

I would love to see more about the Minotaur thread; I see the obvious aspects of that red/omitted/shaped text, but I can't help but feel there's some stuff to it that I'm missing.

I'd love to see some other theories as to what is 'real' in the context of the novel, as in was Navidson real? Was Zampano real? What about Truant? I saw one post about theories that it was all made up by Pelafina, but that doesn't come across to me... Truant seems to be at least real, along with P., but beyond that I'm not so sure. By the end of the book I was really doubting the 'reality' of the Navidsons. But moreso, Danielewski's point he may be trying to make about reality in fiction, etc., if there is any, would be interesting to ruminate on.

I'd love to see some evidence of any of Danielewski's alternate/early texts, discrepancies between, etc.