IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

On the usual seven nightshifts in a row so I've decided to reread The Dark Tower books.

I don't think I've actually read them all in a row before so the contrast between the first 4 and the last 3 should be interesting.

More accurately maybe would be contrast between first three, which I've read and reread countless times, Vol.4 which I've read 2 or 3 times and the last three which I've only read once.

Finished Umbrella by Will Self, very good book once you get past the whole endless sentence business. Moving onto The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood.

I've got "My Idea of Fun" here by Self, haven't finished it yet.

It also has some rather long running sentences.

Edited by StephenG

Finished Umbrella by Will Self, very good book once you get past the whole endless sentence business. Moving onto The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood.

At the beginning it felt unwieldy but by the end I was completely absorbed in the style, to the point I felt that it might ruin my reading of other books.

No paragraphs, no chapter headings, rare punctuation and switches from character to character and time period to time period without notice or warning.

But I loved it, and will definitely get Shark, which I hear is written in a similar style.

I generally dislike Fantasy, but The Vorrh, The Fifth Season and The Grace of Kings have all piqued my interest.

Currently reading The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow and Black Flags by Joby Warrick.

At the beginning it felt unwieldy but by the end I was completely absorbed in the style, to the point I felt that it might ruin my reading of other books.

No paragraphs, no chapter headings, rare punctuation and switches from character to character and time period to time period without notice or warning.

But I loved it, and will definitely get Shark, which I hear is written in a similar style.

Have you read any Hubert Selby JR? Sounds similar to his style.

I've only read Liver by Self. The first story was pretty good. The 2nd was pretty boring and I didn't finish it. Wasn't very impressed tbh. Seemed a bit dry. Anything particular worth checking of his?

The only Will Self I've read is Dorian. I thought was p good, but it depends on your interest in coked out 80s/90s decadence.

Sounds well up my street.

Have you read any Hubert Selby JR? Sounds similar to his style.

I got partway through Last Exit to Brooklyn and gave up, perhaps one of two books I never finished. Both the style and the content did not appeal to me, but I did note the comparisons between the two. The difference is that Self spells correctly for the most part and told stories with characters I cared about, but Brooklyn I honestly didn't give a shit about any of the characters. If anything, it felt as though written to shock and nothing else which is something I had assumed that Self did and I am finding out to be wrong.

I loved the film of Requiem for a Dream but could not get past the lack of punctuation, paragraphs and so on in the book, which I did not mind in Umbrella, as it seemed to be a choice rather than the laziness of the author (and I had read that Selby 'couldn't be bothered' to reach for punctuation marks so it is laziness). Requiem felt as though it had been proofread by Delet.

Edited by Bechuga

recently finished Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, it's never taken me so long to read a book before in my life - around a year, constantly had to take breaks and read a load of other books while I was reading it (mostly non-fiction). It's terribly written at times, really hard to get into a flow reading it, yet I still found it strangely rewarding - it's fascinating subject matter to me I guess. Hopefully the next two in the trilogy are better written.

Just about finished Ready Player One, which took me under a week to read, which was nice and refreshing after Quicksilver. Entertaining plot but nothing amazing, some nice techno-collapse inventions - liked the idea of the corporate indentured debt-slaves, will be interesting to see what Spielberg does with it.

Just ordered Zero Zero Zero by Roberto Saviano (who did Gomorrah), looks interesting, about the global cocaine trade, cartels, violence and political corruption.

Not sure which of you chaps wrote Inexact Shadows but I am reading it finally despite having bought it ages ago.

I'm liking it so far: at first I thought it wouldn't be my kind of book but it's hooking me in.

33% in and the characters & plot are coming together nicely, the mystery still thick enough to hide a rainforest.

I've never read any of Patterson's stuff but it's shameful the amount of books he releases with his name on them, and I blame him and Dan Brown for the growing trend of a chapter being a page and a half long, it's pathetic. Sorry.

Just read The Man in the High Castle. PKD has some really interesting concepts and ideas, but the dude just can't write believable characters and situations. A character who is otherwise a normal person like you and me would get shot in the knee where it hurts most and go "Oh. I've been shot in the knee, Adam. Most likely a fatal wound. It seems like this is the end of the road for me" while he's bleeding profusely and the world is disintegrating into a psychedelic meltdown