IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

It annoys me that BNW and 1984 get compared so much - they are nothing like eachother. I blame all those "guise Trump just got elected, look at all these dystopian books!" buzzfeed lists

Just started The Sheep Look Up, the second John Brunner I've read. About two minutes after I started it I saw a news ticker in the corner of my eye saying that Indian police had just mown down some anti-pollution protesters. So it's depressingly relevant

Edited by Tricone RC

Catch-22 has never done much for me.

Snagged a paperback Mason & Dixon for ¢15 today. Even if it sucks, I can use it to finally see what’s on top of the fridge.

• 2 weeks later...

lol what a goon.

Imagine that thought being applied to film. It'll be the directors commentary whilst a friend constantly elbows you to say a good bit is coming up.

My copy of "Room to Dream", David Lynch's memoir, came in early, so now I'm devouring that on the couch. I could read this man's rambling all day.

Amazing book so far, it's very personal and full of little anecdotes that serve as a key to Lynch's work and its atmosphere. 

518U6jpcijL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I blasted through this thing. It may be because I relate so strongly to his psychology. The next few books supposedly deal with his youth, which doesn't sound like it would appeal to me as much as the minutiae around his marriage/writing. I am not sure if there is a single sentence I could pick out that is formally impressive yet the whole thing flows so seamlessly from scene to scene.

Now reading a book about Bowie's days in Berlin, to coincide with my move to the city. Should be fun to visit the landmarks.

Now reading a book about Bowie's days in Berlin, to coincide with my move to the city. Should be fun to visit the landmarks.

Nice, what's it called, and is it any good? Love Berlin-period Bowie (mind you, I think everyone does)

"Dreamworld & Catastrophe: The Passing of Mass Utopia in East & West" by Susan Buck-Morss

this is great; a history of communism & capitalism as both being sides of the same coin; industrial modernity. 

free .pdf

malevich-suprematism-composition-e150166

May have been posted already, but anyway...(edit: Romanticdude already did.)

Room To Dream - David Lynch / Kristine Mckenna

out June 19th. An excerpt can be found here:

http://www.randomhousebooks.com/books/545016/

An unprecedented look into the personal and creative life of the visionary auteur David Lynch, through his own words and those of his closest colleagues, friends, and family

In this unique hybrid of biography and memoir, David Lynch opens up for the first time about a life lived in pursuit of his singular vision, and the many heartaches and struggles he’s faced to bring his unorthodox projects to fruition. Lynch’s lyrical, intimate, and unfiltered personal reflections riff off biographical sections written by close collaborator Kristine McKenna and based on more than one hundred new interviews with surprisingly candid ex-wives, family members, actors, agents, musicians, and colleagues in various fields who all have their own takes on what happened.

Room to Dream is a landmark book that offers a onetime all-access pass into the life and mind of one of our most enigmatic and utterly original living artists.

With insights into . . .
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Dune
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
INLAND EMPIRE
Twin Peaks: The Return

Edited by olo

"Dreamworld & Catastrophe: The Passing of Mass Utopia in East & West" by Susan Buck-Morss

this is great; a history of communism & capitalism as both being sides of the same coin; industrial modernity. 

free .pdf

:beer:

Slaughterhouse-Five.

Not sure what I'm getting myself into but it was recommended to me on goodreads.

so it goes

A running theme it seems, and I'm only a quarter of the way through.

Currently reading the fourth book (The Citadel of the Autarch) in Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun saga. Apparently a classic science-fantasy novel which somehow had eluded me. Dying Earth type of setting, set millions of years in the future where forgotten tech is to the narrator like magic. It's good stuff and definitely has me considering another read through because it has layers and the narrator doesn't really seem reliable. Great use of archaic words to add some spice and strangeness to the language.

thanks for mentioning this, i'd not heard of it but been way into scifi-ish zone lately so i grabbed these. i love them.. so very excellent. i'm halfway through The Urth of the New Sun now.

before these i was reading every CJ Cherryh book i could get my hands on. some of them much better than others but there's something about her stuff i really like.. the emphasis on communication/translation between different modes of thought that runs throughout all her books.. some standouts for me from her 'Alliance-Union' megaseries: Cyteen, and the Chanur sub-series (Pyanfar Chanur must now be my favourite spaceship captain ever).

also, the setting of Heavy Time (1991), set early on in her Alliance-Union timeline... well, The Expanse was surely heavily inspired by this. it's straight up almost the same in so many ways, right down to the hairstyles of belters.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started "We've Had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy - and the World's Getting Worse" by James Hillman and Michael Ventura and so far it's really good. Hillman was a Jungian so of course his ideas oscillate between amazingly insightful and completely ludicrous but even the ludicrous once are pretty interesting.

Edited by RSP

Finished Wolfe's Urth of the New Sun a while back. Nice ending to Severians story and weird. Some scenes on the starship made me laugh with glee how neat it was. Read LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness, liked it too. Now thought to continue with Wolfe's Solar Cycle, with Book of the Long Sun and eventually Book of the Short Sun. BOTLS has a different feel to it than the BOTNS, but the prose somehow captures me and makes me want explore the odd far future.