IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Just finished up "The Peripheral" by William Gibson. Interesting ideas on events unfolding and affecting different timelines in different ways.

Also re-reading Neal Stephenson's "Reamde". Checked it out from library and forgotten I had read it before.

t.e. lawrence - seven pillars of wisdom

This book is blowing my mind with its eloquence of language, insight and of course the events. I also found the Castle Hill fine print editions, unfortunately out of stock and the price is also incredibly steep, but with this piece of work it would be well worth to own one.

i have a lot of random found books stacked on my table. neil gaiman, burroughs, bunch of random university texts, guns germs & steel, etc etc. i keep finding free books that sound interesting, but the rate i which i actually read them & my aversion to accumulating objects means 80% of them just end up back in the book box, unread

the what if i told you thread reminds me that i want to pick up the second book in the law of one series at some point

re-reading The Place Of Dead Roads (Burroughs) at the moment

also reading The Crossing (McCarthy)

recently finished Book 1 and 2 of Book of the New Sun. Books 3/4 arrived recently so they'll probably be next up.

re-reading The Place Of Dead Roads (Burroughs) at the moment

oh snap that's the one i found the other day

it seems to be the second book in a trilogy. how important is it to have read the first one before reading this?

i actually read that one first too, not sure why i did ... (though I've read all 3 now)

they aren't connected directly by plot, more by ideas and recurring themes throughout the three books. it's a fairly challenging read anyway, but it won't be much more difficult to understand if you haven't read the first. i highly recommend reading the first book either before or after this, though; it's one of my favourites, if not my favourite.

Edited by QQQ

recently finished Book 1 and 2 of Book of the New Sun. Books 3/4 arrived recently so they'll probably be next up.

The Crossing is fucking amazing. Hit me so hard, maybe not for everyone, but it's the best of his I've yet read (not many tho)

I've heard good about the Book of the New Sun series or whatever. You liked the first two I guess if you're reading the others?

^thanks! lookin forward to reading it. burroughs is one of those authors who i've read a lot about (just because his weird alternative writing techniques seem very in line with a lot of my personal feelings about art creation), but have yet to actually read much by.

also currently downloading a shitton of random pdfs about chaos magic, a subject which is definitely up there in terms of spawning massive contrasting feelings of "wow this seems like something i want to really explore deeply & devote a lot of energy to" and "holy shit this is dumb, i spend way too much time on the internet"

The Book of the New Sun, is still sticking to me. A few scenes from the book sure, but more so the feel and sense of place that the books evoked in me. Can still imagine in my minds eye how the reddish light from the dying sun paints the ancient cities with the well trodden stones of the streets gleaming with wetness and the vegetation and lichens on the town walls and the oddness of the flora and fauna the characters encounter in their travels. I totally understand why this is considered a classic of science fantasy/fiction. Damn well written stuff. 

62910E.JPG

not really reading- more like "looking at". this is an art book with images of all the street fighter II characters in different scenarios related to the video game. got it from a friend 

Just read Consider The Lobster. A very fun read as Foster Wallace's always is, but it is almost aways form over substance. Which is not to say that he has nothing to say, he has an interesting perspective and some good insight, but the content never seems to match the quality of the writing itself.

The Crossing is fucking amazing. Hit me so hard, maybe not for everyone, but it's the best of his I've yet read (not many tho)

I've heard good about the Book of the New Sun series or whatever. You liked the first two I guess if you're reading the others?

BotNS is really good. the writing is much better than 99.99% of fantasy.

the writing is much better than 99.99% of fantasy.

ooh damn i could go for some of that

i've picked up so many fantasy books over the years because the cover art + title + chapter titles were hella lush & evocative, but generally speaking the writing has been so dire that five chapters in i'm like "shit this isn't the written equivalent of good electronic music at all, i feel like i've been falsely advertised to"

Edited by Cryptowen

The Book of the New Sun, is still sticking to me. A few scenes from the book sure, but more so the feel and sense of place that the books evoked in me. Can still imagine in my minds eye how the reddish light from the dying sun paints the ancient cities with the well trodden stones of the streets gleaming with wetness and the vegetation and lichens on the town walls and the oddness of the flora and fauna the characters encounter in their travels. I totally understand why this is considered a classic of science fantasy/fiction. Damn well written stuff.

fully. same. i'm up to the last one now, Return to the Whorl.. they've been amazing all the way through, some of my favourite things ever now. as well as the very evocative placeness of them, i love how he sort of, often doesn't explain things which have already been implied. not in a being-cryptic way, but a really natural feeling way. like he almost always omits things which are potentially obvious.

book weird. book good.

Ordered me The Book of the New Sun, need to get in on this ever since Zaphod's recommendation.

In the meantime I've finally got round to The Third Policeman, kindly sent by hello spiral in the secret santa. The bit with the boxes in the box was ridiculously funny.

I was reading it in the work staff room and probably looked mental trying to prevent the howling. I wish I had the same way with words as the policemen.

Yeah I remember reading it in the early 00s and I was balls deep in psychedelics at the time. First time I read it I literally had to bury my face in a pillow and maniacally giggle every few pages.

Found a cool edition of The Gunslinger from King's Dark Tower series and have learnt he then revised it later. Will the later books not make any sense, should I care?