IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Reading a book on Oxfordshire Folklore that has some cool stories in

By Kevan Manwaring? This was a lovely charity shop find for me, but haven’t got round to reading it yet.

7 minutes ago, tec said:

By Kevan Manwaring? This was a lovely charity shop find for me, but haven’t got round to reading it yet.

No not that one, although I would like to read that too.

I got this:

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

I'm about 35 pages into this. So far, I'm feeling that this writer is doing a great job. Granted, I'm a huge fan of all things Lou (even Lulu).

Whatever the case, he's a fascinating person. Looking forward to ripping through this one.

It's been a while since I've picked up a really good book!

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

After reading a small collection of stories I ordered the collected fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith, which arrived today, just in time for Halloween!

This is some fantastic weird fiction. A bit like H.P Lovecraft but with a much better command of the English language. 

Of his own writing style, Clark Ashton Smith said: "My own conscious ideal has been to delude the reader into accepting an impossibility or series of impossibilities by means of a sort of verbal black magic, in the achievement of which I make use of prose-rhythm, metaphor, simile, tone colour, counter point and other stylistic resources, like a kind of incantation."

I'm reading Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original. Haven't read any biography in a while, really enjoying it. The book does a good job situating Monk as a somewhat neglected originator of bebop jazz (neglected by critics and some of his peers) and an even better job dispelling the myth that he was a self-contained genius who only listened to and played jazz. His roots playing gospel music are pretty deep, for instance. He was also a first-rate prankster. This is my favorite paragraph from the book so far:

"He got a kick out of fooling people, particularly those whom he thought were too lazy or afraid to think for themselves. One of his favorite pranks was to stare intensely at a spot on the ceiling or in the sky, either in a crowded room or on a street corner. Invariably, several people would look up with him, searching for whatever elusive object apparently fascinated him. It was an experiment in mass psychology that brought him great amusement."

Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin - the whole 9-book series. I started at the beginning of the year, I think, and have just started book 7. 

spacer.png

I also recently started Concrete, Bulletproof, Invisible & Fried: My Life as a Revolting Cock by Chris Connelly. 

spacer.png

Is the Chris Connelly book any good? Given a low bar? (To give a indication how low: I actually enjoyed reading the Al Jourgensen book - in which he continuously slags of Chris Connelly btw)

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Is the Chris Connelly book any good? Given a low bar? (To give a indication how low: I actually enjoyed reading the Al Jourgensen book - in which he continuously slags of Chris Connelly btw)

I haven't read Al's book, and I'm only about 10 pages into this, but he's calling Al a liar from the start. It's not all negative, but the preface is like "yeah Al is full of shit. that said, here's my story..." So far it's interesting and his writing is engaging, but I don't typically have more than 1 book going at a time so I may not pick it up again till I finish the other book I mentioned. Unless I have to travel, then I'll bring this thinner book.

Currently reading both 'Dora Bruder' by Patrick Modiano (1997, 2014 nobel prize for literature award winner) and 'La Vie Extérieure' by Annie Ernaux (2000) as part of a uni French literature course.

rereading Shakespeare's Hamlet for the umpteenth time, still stumped as ever by the end of the Player King's speech:

Our wills and fates do so contrary run,

That all our devices are overthrown,

Our thoughts are ours, but their ends none our own.

How could our thoughts be ours, but their ends not ours? Perplexing . . .

Just finished Sayaka Murata's "Convenience Store Woman". Not a great feat because it's rather short (around 140 pages in the Dutch translation) and pretty good. Think of a cross between Kafka, "Bartleby the Scrivener" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime". 

Highly recommended.

I just finished Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima.  I spent the first 340 pages waiting for it to strike any kind of interest in me, and just when I was about to give up the last 50 pages finally delivered what I was waiting for.  Pretty good book, but too political for my taste.  Hopefully Runaway Horses is more consistent.

Started this today, very good. It's written by Francoise Gilot, one of Picasso's mistresses who he had two kids with. Very interesting insights into Picasso's art and life in Paris in the first half of the 20th century. Highly recommended for people, like myself, who do not know much about visual art. 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, drillkicker said:

I just finished Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima.  I spent the first 340 pages waiting for it to strike any kind of interest in me, and just when I was about to give up the last 50 pages finally delivered what I was waiting for.  Pretty good book, but too political for my taste.  Hopefully Runaway Horses is more consistent.

Runaway Horses is the most political of the tetralogy (if I'm remembering it correctly).

21 hours ago, QQQ said:

Runaway Horses is the most political of the tetralogy (if I'm remembering it correctly).

I like how it uses Spring Snow as a foundation for a completely different type of story so far.  I can relate much more to Honda than to Kikyoaki, so I'm definitely liking it.

Finished a cool art-deco scifi novel called Radiance by Catheryne Valente recently, really loved the first half and the alt-20th-century-history world building was lush with lots of cool but short descriptions of the politics of galaxy-wide expansion from Earth.

Currently dipping my toes in a few books until something sticks, so far have begun The Trial, Count Zero by Gibson, and a collection of short stories by J.G. Ballard after reading a bunch of essays by Mark Fisher that praised him.

I'm realising I hate hospitality and want to just work in a bookstore:(

spacer.png

After finishing Lou Reed’s biography (which was very good), I feel like this might be both a 180 and a proper follow-up. So far, so good!

One main reason I’m choosing this is because a friend suggested that I read this and loaned it to me 7 or 8 years ago and I never got around to reading it. It’s kinda out of one thirds guilt, one thirds obligation and one thirds curiosity that I’m finally reading it now.