IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

looking for an annotated Comprehensive philosophy book on the Greeks. Plato, basically, But it gets way too abstract for me. Some down to earth laymen stuff to help bring it together would be amazing.Really want something good If you know of something . Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

just put down Notes From The Underground. yikes/10. it was good in that it made me feel bad. the occasional lines in which I could see myself in the underground man were alarming. ugh. not exactly an enjoyable read, but worth it, particularly if you're a pensive, introverted individual with an air of intellectual superiority, which, reading this on an idm forum, i imagine you must be.

just prior to that was Lilith by George MacDonald. Pretty much the polar opposite philosophy from Mr. Underground there. I really enjoyed this. Starts off like a weird Lewis Carroll adventure (turns out MacDonald was an IRL "mentor" to Carroll) with a very strong dash of Narnia (he was also a huge influence on CS Lewis), then goes into more philosophical territory, mostly musing on the nature of death of the individual self, the unity of existence and its goodness, love as purpose... but be warned: it does not at all try to hide the fact that it is a Christian allegory. It stays away from being preachy, though (I'm not a card carrying Christian and still liked the message -- GM was a universalist and very unorthodox).

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

22 hours ago, luke viia said:

just put down Notes From The Underground. yikes/10. it was good in that it made me feel bad. the occasional lines in which I could see myself in the underground man were alarming. ugh. not exactly an enjoyable read, but worth it, particularly if you're a pensive, introverted individual with an air of intellectual superiority, which, reading this on an idm forum, i imagine you must be.

:ok:

On 1/17/2023 at 11:12 AM, Nebraska said:

9798665494661-us.jpg

I just picked up the Grimorium Verum, a 16th century french/italian text (English translation by Joseph Peterson, but it includes the French, Latin and surviving Italian manuscripts too). "one of the most notorious handbooks of black magic" though it's 13 centuries newer than the Testament of Solomon. Nice to see some crossover interest between occult and idm fanbases lol

Spoiler

original_e99ee54f-3b5f-45be-a1a6-6727bb795834_IMG_20230128_155209210.thumb.jpg.82bb9880fd2780be395c57758ef94597.jpg

:sorcerer:

Edited by luke viia

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.041f21b85bb520071b37224e5c6b3d46.jpeg

halfway through atm. I was unaware that there was even a “grim dark” genre but I needed something to scratch the itch after finishing Fire and Blood and a little research led me to the first book in a trilogy. Based on how it’s going I see myself reading the other two soon.

reading The Cabin at the End of the World and it's decent. 3/4s of the way through and been entertained and surprised, but worried the wrap up is going to trash it. the 'action' scenes are a little too 'this then that then that' and it's dwelled on a bit, along with the 'horrific' aspects so far, which isn't the most interesting parts of the story imo, but it's not been a huge drag or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, luke viia said:

%257BC09EA689-823A-46FB-840A-92DEA49B49E

These are fun. Morally reprehensible (lots of gods raping unwilling mortals *and the punishing them for it*) but fun nonetheless. +1, would read again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, Limo said:

These are fun. Morally reprehensible (lots of gods raping unwilling mortals *and the punishing them for it*) but fun nonetheless. +1, would read again.

indeed, disturbing, gory, unfair, and fun. just finished it earlier today. i feel like ovid had a good & insightful grip on the idea of gods-as-nature instead of powerful people ruling from the clouds. even Jupiter explains to Venus that what the Fates write is out of his hands; he can read it, but he can't change it. he also explains this to a woman he rapes, which is uh... less admirable... but allegorically, Ovid has a general point. (i'm not a fatalist, btw; but there's some sense in remembering that what happens to us is often completely out of our control)

i felt like the speech by Pythagoras at the end was A) awesome and B) did not at all fit the rest of the book, but it was my fav part. the three-page exhortation to be vegetarians and stop sacrificing animals followed by a few more pages explaining that change is our only enduring reality was a beautiful wrap-up, but then ovid had to add a few things about augustus being the greatest... and he still got exiled.

anyway: i started House of Leaves last night. meant to read for about 30 minutes and it turned into 3 hours. this book got its claws in me real quick.

Edited by luke viia