IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

6 minutes ago, logakght said:

What have you thought about it?

spot on; particularly the author's insight into what he terms 'auto-exploitation' ; how cognitive capitalism/social media has entrained, normalised both individuals & organisations into the marketing paradigm in order to exploit our content/info to serve the interests of Big Data™ algorithms that then distract us w. spectacle, sell us shit we don't need, & fuel the machine ))::

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 9:35 PM, luke viia said:

started House of Leaves last night. meant to read for about 30 minutes and it turned into 3 hours. this book got its claws in me real quick.

"finished" this a couple nights ago. took a break from it for about a week but over the past few days i'd been feeling kinda sick so was just sitting at home under the influence of dayquil and diphenhydramine.  picked this back up and absolutely soaked in it, reading for long stretches into the night, didn't leave the apartment for a few days. when i finally set it down around 11pm two nights ago, i got up to hit the bathroom and the path outside my bedroom was pitch black and I immediately had this awful sense of vertigo, normally my eyes adjust fast but i felt lost, just stopped in my tracks. legitimately felt panicked for a sec. the book is wild but not exactly scary; the darkness in HoL was/is fascinating and often vivid (? if darkness can be vivid idk) but I didn't feel all that affected by the idea as I read it so it was extra weird to have such an intense reaction. really fun book, lots to keep thinking about when you're through it all. ...I have my theories.

but sheesh that trip through my living room was surreal.

also, the Whalestoe letters, my god :catcry:

Edited by luke viia

On 1/6/2022 at 6:21 PM, dcom said:

Bret Easton Ellis is a great writer, but American Psycho can be a bit infuriating because of the style. Although I like all he's written. Glamorama's my favourite. American Psycho is his third, Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction came before it, The Informers, Glamorama, Lunar Park and Imperial Bedrooms after. White is his latest and only non-fiction, and he got cancelled because of it,  but I'd recommend reading it anyway. He's one of my favourites alongside Chuck Palahniuk, Irvine Welsh and Douglas Coupland.

What did you think of The Shards?

61xvINeUvgL.jpg.842dad742be0ec4a8fca818f70fc6c73.jpg

hadn't read this in a long time -- 17 years now, almost! -- what a sorry gap that was! This book first found me at a weird point in my life and will always carry a lot of personal meaning, but it's also just a seriously good story, incisive political/social commentary, a hell of a fun time, and emotionally affecting (in book 2 anyway). It seems that most people don't care for the Pontius Pilate chapters, but they're great IMO.

'The only thing that can save a mortally wounded cat,' said the cat, 'is a swig of benzene.'

19 rolling heads out of 10

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

I think I read almost half of this book in middle school and remember being really into it but losing steam at some point. I barely remembered much about it other than the mood/vibe. 
I recently found this “complete & uncut” edition in a free library in my neighbor’s front yard and have started digging into the 1152 pages or so at lightning speed (for me it is still fairly slow). This book is amazing. I’m about 200 pages in and although it’s been a captivating page-turner, it’s really getting going now. There are so many parallel stories that it’s like reading 12 books at once with a single arc connecting them all. 
btw, I just saw when I grabbed the image link from Amazon that this same paperback edition goes for over $100 used and I got my copy for muthafuckin freeeeeee ?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

Finished the third book in Joe Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy earlier today. Really satisfying read for those who are fans of more gritty fantasy like GOT. I will say the first book (which I believe is the first book he ever published) was intensely focused on character development for mainly three characters. Glokta (the tortured turned torturer of the Inquisition who is understandably cynical but also darkly humorous and sharp), Logen Nine Fingers ( a named man of the north with a blood-soaked reputation, looking forward to leaving his past behind him) and Jezal Dan Luthar (from a wealthy family, graced with good looks, good luck, and overall just a young smug cunt of an officer destined to climb the ranks in the King’s army while stealing your girlfriend, etc.). The supporting characters are introduced and do play much bigger roles as you get into the second and third books. I also feel like the writing just gets better and better as it moves along. Don’t want to drop any spoilers but this definitely subverted my expectations quite a few times in a really good way. Definitely recommended.

edit: also found out what Dungeon Synth is perfect for. Listened to a ton of Dim and Ulk’s albums while reading these books. Complimented it perfectly.

Edited by Hail Sagan
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 5:36 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

I think I read almost half of this book in middle school and remember being really into it but losing steam at some point. I barely remembered much about it other than the mood/vibe. 
I recently found this “complete & uncut” edition in a free library in my neighbor’s front yard and have started digging into the 1152 pages or so at lightning speed (for me it is still fairly slow). This book is amazing. I’m about 200 pages in and although it’s been a captivating page-turner, it’s really getting going now. There are so many parallel stories that it’s like reading 12 books at once with a single arc connecting them all. 
btw, I just saw when I grabbed the image link from Amazon that this same paperback edition goes for over $100 used and I got my copy for muthafuckin freeeeeee ?

Just finished. Dang. Reading that book was a post-apocalyptic journey in itself. Great book. Highly recommended… but be warned: it doesn’t hold up well in the race/sexism departments. However awkward those moments are, it’s still worth the commitment. Considering I read VERY slow, I still ripped through this one. Laws, yes. 

Haruki Murakame's Killing Commendatore. The people and locations in this book stuck with me from since a previous read through (where for some reason I got sidetracked and never finished it) In the three or so years since, certain situations or thoughts would conjure the pit & shrine, Tomohiko's mountain house or Menshiki's mansion up clear as a place I'd once visited in real life, so naturally I was immersed doubly this time round.

Loved this guy's books since I was given Wind Up Bird Chronicle around 2010 and recently reread Kafka on the Shore aswell, which used to be my 2nd favorite after IQ84, but I reckon Commendatore has nudged it into 3rd place. 

And recently found out his new novel, The City And Its Uncertain Walls, has been released in Japan! Wonder how long we'll have to wait for a translation.. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

I watched the series 3 times and have also seen the original 1963 film adaptation, “the haunting”.

The series is fantastic but it is loosely based on the characters and themes in the book, where as the 1963 film is a pretty truthful adaptation.
I’m a little over halfway through the book and it’s a page turner. The main thing that the series carries over from the book is the sickly sense of madness that comes through in Eleanor’s inner thoughts and monologues. As if we’re being seduced into a spider’s web by some psychic monster. 
I’m definitely going to have to rewatch the series again now ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 11:02 PM, ooqpoo said:

Haruki Murakame's Killing Commendatore. The people and locations in this book stuck with me from since a previous read through (where for some reason I got sidetracked and never finished it) In the three or so years since, certain situations or thoughts would conjure the pit & shrine, Tomohiko's mountain house or Menshiki's mansion up clear as a place I'd once visited in real life, so naturally I was immersed doubly this time round.

Loved this guy's books since I was given Wind Up Bird Chronicle around 2010 and recently reread Kafka on the Shore aswell, which used to be my 2nd favorite after IQ84, but I reckon Commendatore has nudged it into 3rd place. 

And recently found out his new novel, The City And Its Uncertain Walls, has been released in Japan! Wonder how long we'll have to wait for a translation.. 

I finally picked up Kafka on the Shore. About a third of the way through and so so very enjoyable. 

who all enjoys Ligotti? I just picked up Songs of a Dead Dreamer + Grimscribe for my first foray.

8 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

I’m gonna read Blood Meridian again now that McCarthy passed away. Thoughts from y’all?

do.

• Like 2

Ligotti fan here. The first story in that collection you got, "Frolic," is super creepy, though most people (reviews, anyway) don't seem to think that highly of it... and it's kind of an anomaly among the other stories. Weird starter. That said, I felt compelled to tell a friend of mine, who had just become a dad, to skip it. 

The collection felt a bit uneven in spots (I think it's his early stuff?), but there are some real gems in there. IIRC "Vasterian" and "The Last Feast of Harlequin" are both in there somewhere, and they're awesome. I also loved "Nethescurial," though it is a VERY direct homage to Lovecraft (with some good commentary on itself in the first half). I liked that one so much I narrated it. One of the best ending lines in a short story I've ever read. Grimscribe > Songs, IMO. 

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 2