IGNORED

Interview with Sean Booth

Guest ~ism

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does this quote scare the hell out of anyone else? i don't know how literally to take what he is saying, but it sounds like they were gigging just to stay in the black, so to speak. if an established band like autechre, with their record deal, press, popularity, record sales, tours, etc. are cutting it that close in terms of profitability, what does that say bout the chances for new upcoming artists?

bingo.

glad someone mentioned that. welcome to reality - there aint any money in music at this end of the market. period. there's enough to live reasonably within means and earn a decent living...if you are lucky/good enough to be on top of your game and settled within an established market, but even for Ae I guess that ain't going to leave you drowning in cash. To put in context, Arctic Monkeys sold over a third of a million copies of their debut album within a week of release, I'd doubt whether any Warp artist has ever sold that many copies of all their albums put together over any period of time. Or even fucking close. (hey - like the Sheffield connection though?) This aint mainstream appeal music. No mainstream, no megabucks.

Reality check for anyone thinking iddem would send them into the Hollywood Hills...

Of course, I might be wrong. But I've always laughed at some of the chat on here about Ae/Boc/RDJ swilling in cash as if they were 'loaded'. Not exactly P-diddy shit going on here.

So those that nick the music are all the more shitty for it, go buy a a CD or LP and put some money in the pockets of the electronic music artists you support. North Face jackets aint cheap!! :laughing:

I have heard some Ae tracks used in TV commercials. That must have brought in quite a bit for the pair. I remember O2 the mobile phone network using an Ae track not so long ago. But yeah you're right, there probably isn't much money at all in this area of music. I think it's even more encouraging when new artists get themselves on their own label.. so what if it starts small, but you don't know where it could lead to.

i think people here arent taking into account that yes one of them has kids and they are 2 people not just one. Im assuming that they evenly divide their profits between them. if Ae was one guy hed probably be pretty well off in comparison

doesn't sound like a viable career anymore.

was it ever?

Seriously, was it ever? Didn't Mike P. work in a carpet store back in the day, when he was at the forefront? It was something like that.

There's no money in music, unless you're Linkin Park or Warner Bros. If a musician is indie enough to be respected on WATMM, they ain't making money.

Seriously, was it ever? Didn't Mike P. work in a carpet store back in the day, when he was at the forefront?

could explain why half the stuff Planet mu puts out now is scenster pandering garbage, he just needs the CASH MONEY DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL

I have heard some Ae tracks used in TV commercials. That must have brought in quite a bit for the pair. I remember O2 the mobile phone network using an Ae track not so long ago. But yeah you're right, there probably isn't much money at all in this area of music. I think it's even more encouraging when new artists get themselves on their own label.. so what if it starts small, but you don't know where it could lead to.

aye, for Warp lol.

saying that, not sure what the deal is with publishing for Ae, or any other Warp artists for that matter.

Guest Enter a new display name
Seriously, was it ever? Didn't Mike P. work in a carpet store back in the day, when he was at the forefront?

could explain why half the stuff Planet mu puts out now is scenster pandering garbage, he just needs the CASH MONEY DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL

Yeah, half of new releases on Planet Mu don't even get any attention. There are way too many vinyls coming out from nowhere.

Yeah, half of new releases on Planet Mu don't even get any attention. There are way too many vinyls coming out from nowhere.

yeah i just dont see the point of running a record label when out of 20-30 releases there is literally nothing memorable. maybe 1 out of 40 is really cool.

Guest Enter a new display name

yeah i just dont see the point of running a record label when out of 20-30 releases there is literally nothing memorable. maybe 1 out of 40 is really cool.

Well there is quite some quality control on this label, but releasing 100 records within more than 1 year won't make the label more successful (if we assume ziq100 came out on June 2006 and ziq200 on October 2007), which is half of what they have released since their first record in 1998, I think.

I really find it hard to believe they are low on cash. That just boggles my mind. Surely most hipster college students the world over have one autechre cd?

I guess it's time to add some guitars/female vocalists.

Guest hahathhat
we’d been doing a lot of gigs that year…in order to keep income stream going, we did some more gigs – mainly festivals and extended dates, we were doing them to keep above water basically.

does this quote scare the hell out of anyone else? i don't know how literally to take what he is saying, but it sounds like they were gigging just to stay in the black, so to speak. if an established band like autechre, with their record deal, press, popularity, record sales, tours, etc. are cutting it that close in terms of profitability, what does that say bout the chances for new upcoming artists?

would you like fries with that?

I guess I'm a macho geek.

alpha geek.

there were always these people around the CS department... while talking, they would interrupt themselves midsentence. five times in row. while they did that, i'd go and start coding. by the time i had the project halfway done, they'd have stopped talking about how to solve the problem and started talking about how i was solving it incorrectly, inefficiently, or in general a way that was not theirs.

don't be an alpha geek.

Guest awkward

Interview with Sean Booth of Autechre for Reverb magazine (www.reverbmag.co.uk) conducted on 24th January 2008 by Mark Flanagan.

so was this a phone interview or did you meet the man and sit down with beer and shit?

just a phoner sir.. usual press junket job, where you're given a number to call and 25-30 min time slot for chat. often the artist just goes into their press agent's office and spends the day repeating themselves in maybe 6 or more interviews back to back with a variety of media ranging from broadsheet music section journos to culture vulture mags or music press. would do my frikkin head in - that's for sure. since I'm sure he'd done at least a few before I spoke to him.

sitting down with a pint, the pair of them, and 40 min or so of their time, would have been an ideal scenario.

i'm sure they'd be bored with my chat mind you after 1 sip of their beer.

Archived