IGNORED

Interview with Sean Booth

Guest ~ism

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just a phoner sir..

You sound like Howard Moon sir. Wish I'd thought to ask you to ask Sean if "bnc Castl" came from the bouncy castle in the Mighty Boosh.

(before anyone phones for the white coated men to take me away, it's a comedy series in the UK)

lol@ sean saying watmm is geeky

He's probably referring to those fucking "best to worst" threads. :embrassed:

indeed those threads are ridiculous, like i'm waiting for the best to worst trax from gescom minidisc..

lol at caustic

eeeeeh WATMM? Whats WATMM?

We are the music makers

Oh that thing! Yes that thing.

We are the music makers

We are the music makers

We are the music makers

We are the music makers

We are the music makers

We are the music makers

Sorry got winamp on repeat

• 2 weeks later...

Pen Expers on a Mini-Disc! And only three of the Confield tracks were with generative techniques? I wonder which ones they are.

Hey Ghostbusters, if you read this, what was the track that you found on that disc that you released on your website or whatever?

Just by guessing, I am going to say that Bine, Sim Gishel, and Lentic Catachresis are the generative tracks? (and of course Licciflii and the end of Reniform Puls has generative techniques used as well.)

What do you mean by generative tracks?

But looking back to the likes of Confield, where you were well documented as being users of generative software like Max/MSP..

...Well, there was only 3 tracks on Confield that had Max sequencing. It’s ironic, I mean Pen Expers was made using a minidisk, like by pausing a DMX drum machine, I could go through the whole album and be really boring. But there’s only 3 tracks on there that are really generative really. It just gets massively overblown because people think it’s dead interesting, but it’s not is it? To me it’s just like a bunch of arpeggiators plugged into each other, going off and we’ve been doing that since Lego Feet days.

Thats what I mean. TFTT and GBIII understand it better than I do.

Generative music is defined by mathematical parameters as far as I understand, usually in a program built around algorithms like Max MSP. From there you can just "play" the track and either program how the parameters will change or adjust parameters on the fly and have the music change.

A lot of people argue that this is "random" and not really music as nobody is composing it in a traditional sense, but people overlook the amount of work necessary in creating these patches. I've tried my hand at Max MSP and it is no easy task to make something that doesn't sound like total shit.

Archived