IGNORED

tekkonkinkreet

Guest Ultravisitor

Guest awkward

saw this on friday on recomemndtion of this mb and thought it sucked hard. the animation had its moments but the dialogue and pretty much everything else sucked hard. man it was bad. so thanks watmm.

Downloaded a Blu Ray rip of this last night and watched it on my projector with a friend. On second viewing I think I liked it more, I don't really have a problem with the dialogue, I expect a certain amount of cheese in anime and this wasn't pushing that very far. The one thing I kept noticing was how well the soundtrack plaid made worked with the movie. Also, this is the first blu ray movie i have watched and i was fairly impressed.

Guest Eris Siva

The Plaid soundtrack was a nice touch. I watched this with my flatmate and we kept looking at each other and saying things like "Wow...this really reminds me of Plaid," or "That sounds exactly like a Plaid track." We didn't realize until the end when we looked at the DVD cover and it said it on the back.

My copy of the soundtrack I scored on ebay arrived yesterday from Japan. Buy It Now for £18 including postage wasn't so bad. Wish I sprung for the remix album now too as the same guy was selling it.

Does anybody else's copy of the DVD sound play fucked up on the English language version? It keeps going loud/quiet etc for me.

i loved the black/white dealema and that kind of stuff, i liked the chessy stuff about beeing happy cause it fitted white pretty well, he looks like he was autistic...

but then the end it didn't have nothing special but friendship and lame stuff...

amazing graphics tought!!!!

Good article on the film. Plaid get mentioned later in the piece.

Is it true that the director himself chose Plaid, a British electronic music duo, for the soundtrack?

Mike insisted that Plaid was the only band who could do it, and I think he was right too. The guys from Plaid came to Japan towards the end of the production, and when I thought they were working on the remix at the studio, it turned out that they were actually re-composing the song all over again after they saw our graphics. In their final week, they were sleeping at the studio using collapsible beds. (laugh)

http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/11/22/making-ta...eet-into-anime/

regards

Guest Neolmas

Bought DVD after seeing the preview and hearing the soundtrack. It's one of the treasures in my collection, I've only watched it once and am waiting for a special opportunity to watch it again. I'm not sure what problems people have with it, I can't point out any flaws. Technically it was amazing, even better than a lot of Miyazaki in some ways, and the story, characters, and themes were all even better.

The characters were real and fleshed out, you can identify with elements of every single personage. The story itself has immense feeling and really bestows itself with a lot of significance. These and the animation complemented each other beautifully. And then Plaid tops it off, and they did an ideal job and the whole movie as a project was just stunning. I'm really impressed with the creators, and I'd like to see the manga too. I would consider myself an animation fan, certainly not specifically of the Japanese variety, and a movie fan all around. This movie is tits, I almost shit when I saw it for sale at my (small town) Walmart.

• 4 months later...

I watched this movie last week and I thought it kicked ass. If anyone has a problem with the dialogue I'd guess that they watched the English dubbed version. It's no great secret that American voice-over actors totally suck, so do yourselves a favor and stick to the original Japanese with subtitles.

The soundtrack really enhanced the film. I almost think that Plaid is more suited to this kind of work than they are to making standalone albums, at least these days. I'm glad they're sticking to it.

• 3 weeks later...

i don't know what this fuss is about it.. i never even finished watching it. i thought it was boring, the animation didn't catch my eye either, might check out the soundtrack though. didn't know at the time that plaid did it so i guess i ignored it

• 4 months later...

the movie was okay. the visuals and random twists (read: alien assassins) made up for the other shit.

but the soundtrack is killer. made the movie much more bearable during weak parts.

though strangely I don't really enjoy listening to it. at points it's amazing, but somehow I just never get the urge to play it.

EDIT: I have put assassouts on mix tapes for 2 different friends...

• 6 months later...

Didn't like the simplistic character designs at first but quickly got used to them, Plaid certainly delivered with a brilliant score on this one... all in all a pretty good film.

• 2 months later...
Guest GrandPopPoplock

Plaid made quite possibly greatest score to a film of ll time . It fit disturbingly well with the film

Oh , and Tekkonkinkreet is an epic little film .

Archived