IGNORED

Matmos - Supreme Balloon

Guest Alfred E. Neuman

Civil War's the one Matmos album I really adore.

This one sounds rather intriguing.

:beer:

yes i am looking forward to this one a lot, and yes i am overreacting to spoken word. when a spoken word appears on an album it basically ruins the whole album for me automatically. I have a very low threshold for spoken word tolerance. i think its porbbaly the most laughable form of pretentious 'experimental' music out there, and on the matmos LP it went beyond laughter to shutting the cd off.

Reading old essays counts as spoken word? That's all it is, is reading some Wittgenstein and some feminist bitch.

This whole "spoken word" thing is a terrible mystery to me.

Do the vocal bits of All the Children Are Dead count as spoken word?

Reading old essays counts as spoken word? That's all it is, is reading some Wittgenstein and some feminist bitch.

This whole "spoken word" thing is a terrible mystery to me.

Do the vocal bits of All the Children Are Dead count as spoken word?

i dont know is that a matmos song? yeah reading old essays count as spoken word. Sorry i hate spoken word so much i just dont think it belongs together with good music, which i personally think matmos is very very good minus the generic artsy fartsy stuff.

I am a huge Coil fan, or at least i consider myself one... however i find most of their catalogue that was released after 1997 very spotty at best. I dont mind vocals generally, or poetry. I just dont like the mixture of poetry and music AT ALL. its that simple. call me closed minded i just fucking hate it.

that's cool. i can understand that.

"all the children are dead" is a vsnares track.

i was just being anal about the whole "spoken word" thing, in large part because i think it's a retarded and pretentious genre label in first place, but that may just be because i don't understand it (vocal performance that's somewhere between poetry and philosophy and narration?).

because i didn't think reading essays counted as spoken word. and in "all the children are dead," there's some relatively long narrative vocal sample that i certainly wouldn't call spoken word, but maybe i'm wrong.

I caught them live on Saturday. They played a couple tracks from the new album. They were pretty cool, not Civil War great but better than Rose. They ended the show by doing a spoken word piece that was much better than their previous spoken word shit. It was actually kinda moving. It was the story of this woman living in suburbia.

They ended the show by doing a spoken word piece that was much better than their previous spoken word shit. It was actually kinda moving. It was the story of this woman living in suburbia.

:cry:

dude, I'm still with you on hating spoken word

• 4 weeks later...

very well thought out excellently produced first half of the LP, the 2nd half kind of trails off into imo too overly retroy Wendy Carlos-esque territory with no beats. I mean its well done for trying to evoke that 60s switched on bach type sound but im just not into it and really never was. the song Polychords and Mister Mouth blow me away though, it sounds like Cylob if he had spent 1 month straight locked in his room on a single track filling it with a change or weird new sound every measure. The version im listening to only has 7 out of 9 tracks so its posisble the last 2 change the pace.

Guest The Vidiot

Read the description of the album on the first page. It's sounds pretty fuckin' exciting. Now if I could only find where it is online...

Guest The Vidiot
very well thought out excellently produced first half of the LP, the 2nd half kind of trails off into imo too overly retroy Wendy Carlos-esque territory with no beats. I mean its well done for trying to evoke that 60s switched on bach type sound but im just not into it and really never was. the song Polychords and Mister Mouth blow me away though, it sounds like Cylob if he had spent 1 month straight locked in his room on a single track filling it with a change or weird new sound every measure. The version im listening to only has 7 out of 9 tracks so its posisble the last 2 change the pace.

Just listened to the whole thing, and I agree with everything that you say except for in reverse! I think that the record really starts to pick up at "Exciter Lamp" and doesn't stop/ becomes more textured. The 24 minute title track is pretty dope too. The Matador description is pretty accurate, so I won't elaborate. I'm pumped to hear the bonus tracks ("Hashish Master" especially!). So far one of my fave Matmos releases! Get it Rook.

Guest telikan

Yeah, I'm really impressed by how they were still able to get some seriously classic Matmos sounds and textures without sampled sounds, especially on "Mister Mouth" and "Exciter Lamp". Last quarter of the title track and all of the closer are my favorites.

a bit of dissapointment. a bit of too much noodling from matmos side, but i still like it. imho not near as interesting as their previous album, but pretty good. i would prefer more experimental synthstuff. 7/10 after 4 days of listening.

Just listened to the whole thing, and I agree with everything that you say except for in reverse! I think that the record really starts to pick up at "Exciter Lamp" and doesn't stop/ becomes more textured. The 24 minute title track is pretty dope too. The Matador description is pretty accurate, so I won't elaborate. I'm pumped to hear the bonus tracks ("Hashish Master" especially!). So far one of my fave Matmos releases! Get it Rook.

i take back what i said, with the exception of the very overtly carlos track im really enjoying the beatless latter half of the album, its excellent especially the one with the synth tabla drum machine

Archived