IGNORED

Tintin a trilogy

o00o

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest underscore

Edgar Wright are co-writing the script for this. That makes things interesting (If you're from the UK that is, you probably haven't heard of either of them otherwise)

i know a lot of people in the US who are fans of shaun of the dead, hot fuzz, spaced, etc.

so the reveal of his creepy doll-like face is supposed to be impressive?

I was actually looking forward to this, but that trailer is terrible. It's got that nasty over-composited dull gray look, Tintin should be vibrant, saturated...

Guest Gary C

LOL, yeah.

I was looking forward to this, but that trailer is pretty bad and TinTin looks really weird in his big reveal. But then Captain Haddock looked weird when his big nose was revealed too. Whodathunk that photo-realistic cartoon characters would look weird and jarring? :facepalm:

Also, how come this is just titled 'The Adventures of TinTin'? This one is about the Unicorn (model boat), but I'd guess they're mashing a few mysteries together.

Fuck this shit, if they're going to go realistic, why waste so much time doing it in computers? Don't they know that if you point a camera towards real objects they're rendered in real time. If they really want the actors to look ridicilous you can do that with make-up.

Guest disparaissant

even though the 2 books featured for each film film follow one another in sequence .. i still wonder how much detail is cut just to fit the flow ...

they're only 62 page comic books...

the face was weird but i didn't mind the rest. we'll see if it's any good when it comes out.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I'm getting a full on uncanny valley response to everything about every character in that trailer

Yes indeed, that's what I'm trying to rage about. I'm just not very good at it.

Part of me really hopes Spielberg gets so enamored of this look that he makes Schindler's List II using the same approach.

Edit: actually he should adapt Maus using this technique, it could be a celluloid train-wreck for the ages

The worst thing is I'll probably end up taking my kid to see this at the cinema while Spielberg & co are laughing all the way to the bank. :facepalm::trashbear::cerious:

I thought it looked pretty good.

With photorealistic cartoon characters, you're deliberately aiming for uncanny valley - the aim is to get something real yet not-real.

Which will (hopefully) conjure up an immersive non-reality. With these immersive things, it doesn't really come across in the trailer (e.g. the avatar trailer didn't really get across how immersive it was going to be).

So, this might be better than you think.

Also:

written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish.

holy shit!

I'd rather have them use actors which vaguely look like the characters in the comics, than some lifeless cgi wank.

This series is a horrible idea, imo.

Guest Gary C

Remember when big directors used to make movies rather than just fucking around with technology?

Jurassic Park ruined cinema.

To be fair, Spielberg does still mix his films between big technology blockbusters and more story-based pieces. It's just the new age of directors who rely solely on effects and do little else around the edges.

I wonder how Jackson and Spielberg actually feel about their use of technology. Do they feel, as big-time directors with the budgets of small countries, that they have an obligation to wow audiences? Do they think that they're funding and publicising new exciting technologies that then have repurcussions across all media? Are they bragging to other big-shots about who can make the most perfect 3D sphere like the console-wars? Are they truly, gleefully giddy about 3D environments and want to wow themselves just as much as everyone else?

It's probably a mixture of the above, but I'd bet that it's mostly an obligation to spend all that money that is thrown their way for blockbusters.

so the reveal of his creepy doll-like face is supposed to be impressive?

I was actually looking forward to this, but that trailer is terrible. It's got that nasty over-composited dull gray look, Tintin should be vibrant, saturated...

totally agree.

It's Spielberg motherfuckers.

Have some faith bitches. To the screenwriters. To the material from Hergé itself. To Peter Jackson and the WETA crew. To John Williams, Michael Kahn, J Kaminski... etc..

(people saying "Steven is shit since <insert movie they didn't like> in 4..3...2..1...)

Archived