IGNORED

Tintin a trilogy

o00o

Guest Coalbucket PI

Remember when big directors used to make movies rather than just fucking around with technology?

Jurassic Park ruined cinema.

To be fair, Spielberg does still mix his films between big technology blockbusters and more story-based pieces. It's just the new age of directors who rely solely on effects and do little else around the edges.

I wonder how Jackson and Spielberg actually feel about their use of technology. Do they feel, as big-time directors with the budgets of small countries, that they have an obligation to wow audiences? Do they think that they're funding and publicising new exciting technologies that then have repurcussions across all media? Are they bragging to other big-shots about who can make the most perfect 3D sphere like the console-wars? Are they truly, gleefully giddy about 3D environments and want to wow themselves just as much as everyone else?

It's probably a mixture of the above, but I'd bet that it's mostly an obligation to spend all that money that is thrown their way for blockbusters.

Jurassic Park had animatronics and stuff, they still looked quite shit in the behind the scenes shots and they only built half the bodies etc. I think it counts as a good use of technology and film making ability, it doesn't fall that far from Jaws in my mind.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest couch

Remember when big directors used to make movies rather than just fucking around with technology?

Jurassic Park ruined cinema.

It's a movie about motherfucking dinosaurs dude. What else were they going to do? Find some and train them?

Guest Gary C

I'm a big fan of Jurassic Park, it's one of my favourite ever films. But I was just stating my belief that since then the onus of summer blockbusters has been effects as opposed to genuine entertainment.

Guest disparaissant
“Not since the Arthur remake has Hollywood so firmly placed its finger on the pulse of WHAT AMERICA WANTS: CGI adaptations of Belgian comic books from the early 1900s. It’s almost spooky how deeply this taps into our collective subconscious. For example, after all of these years of not even realizing how badly I wanted an adaptation of Belgian comic books from the early 1900s, little did I realize that I wanted that adaptation to be so heavily computerized that it sucked any possible charm from the original source material.”

gabe delahaye, videogum

i dunno though im at least going to wait until it comes out to pass judgement, like zazen said, avatar looked shitty from the previews, and while it certainly wasn't great, it was totally immersive. with the writers and actors involved, this is pretty much either guaranteed to be surprisingly awesome or a SPECTACULARLY awful shitfest of almost undhaerd of proportions. WE WIN EITHER WAY!

tumblr_lld9omD44G1qa7gz8o1_500.jpg

this picture does not lend hope, though.

Have you guys even see the two real human Tintin movie?? (Crabe au Pinces D'Or et Les Oranges Bleus)

You would know that it's just laughable. Very lolorific. There's a reason Spielberg waited since 84 to do one.

Guest disparaissant

Have you guys even see the two real human Tintin movie?? (Crabe au Pinces D'Or et Les Oranges Bleus)

You would know that it's just laughable. Very lolorific. There's a reason Spielberg waited since 84 to do one.

i do keep forgetting to mention that. yeah, they're both terrible.

I don't think we're the target audience really.

not sure who the target audience is though

Maybe time travelling belgians from 100 years ago?

Tintin is going to have to make all of it's money internationally, which it probably will, but the problem w/ Tintin in American is that no one knows who he is or cares, they'll just be going to see a Spielberg movie. I'd imagine one movie would do pretty well, but seriously having enough faith in this to do a trilogy, really? Is it too big to fail?

So for the american it's just like a script made of original material. Most of the top grossing movies of all time in the US were "new" to people when they opened. Who the fuck cares if the characters are known to people before?

Talking about all-time adjusted dude, It's the only true ranking you should care about.

9 out of the top 20 are original material. Don't take your audience for dumbasses, it's SPIELBERG. That's already 100 million domestic assured just by name.

1a Gone with the Wind

2o Star Wars

3a The Sound of Music

4o E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

5a The Ten Commandments

6o Titanic

7a Jaws

8a Doctor Zhivago

9a The Exorcist

10a Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

11a 101 Dalmatians

12o The Empire Strikes

13a Ben-Hur

14o Avatar

15o Return of the Jedi

16o The Sting

17o Raiders of the Lost Ark

18a Jurassic Park

19a The Graduate

20o Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Anyway this is not original material, one reason more for making it popular.

all this to say, stfu haters saying "nobody cares".

Tintin is going to have to make all of it's money internationally, which it probably will, but the problem w/ Tintin in American is that no one knows who he is or cares, they'll just be going to see a Spielberg movie. I'd imagine one movie would do pretty well, but seriously having enough faith in this to do a trilogy, really? Is it too big to fail?

To be fair to the thing, the source material is a pretty awesome romp, filled with with memorable characters. That snippet of score did annoy me though, music in a film is a pretty huge thing for me. And lately they've been hiring real weaners.

Guest analogue wings

Almost all trailer music comes from other film scores, as the real score will still be being worked on (it's usually synched to the final edit which comes late in the piece).

That said though, if that's where they're going with it then :facepalm:

They should have gone for perhaps music from the era and region. Like symphonic music. And then maybe a little piano etude. Maybe a little late ragtime. Would make sense. Light and airy stuff, that doesn't get in the way of the environmental sounds too much.

Guest analogue wings

That would actually have been awesome.

Just checked and apparently John Williams is signed up for the score. I guess he IS old enough to have degenerated into tragic self parody, so that COULD be a cue from the movie... but blech...

Yeah, we'll see how williams does. I hope he goes for the light touch as I'm getting tired of these really punchy, imposing scores. Sure it's nice that they're hiring composers again, instead of just relying 100% on hits of the day anthologies. But bleck, like you said.

Guest disparaissant

i dunno why they didn't just use the classic theme.

i mean if it's just placeholder music, do the fans a favour eh

Archived