Joyrex

Should We Have a Plaid Subforum  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Plaid Subforum - A Good Idea?

• Yes, by all means
    • Sure, wouldn't hurt
    • Doesn't matter either way/don't care
    • No, for various reasons
    • I don't like Plaid (the pattern or the band)

gotta be careful watmm doesn't turn into an idm graveyard ;)

Yes and no - regardless of the lack of future output (with the exception of Richard, most of the featured artists are slowing down release-wise, and even Richard is taking longer breaks between releases), there will be still the extensive back catalogue and history to call upon, whereas if we had one-hit wonders, so to speak, they'd be more like footnotes rather than a representation of a period in electronic music history.

I'm beginning to think a Cylob and Plaid forum might not be a bad idea...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be fun to have a Plaid forum, something that some of us have agitated for for years, BUT.....

...where does it end? We can't give a subforum to everyone. I think we're better off sticking with the ones we have, otherwise there will eventually be a endless plethora of ghost town subforums.

:ok:

Yes, you raise a very valid point, hence not taking the XLT approach (add an entry for every obscure artist under the sun). I think there's enough history though (good or bad) for Plaid and Cylob to be considered...

Guest tht! tne

i liked the symmetry of 5 main artists, 5 artist subforums

i think the subforums should be given to the strongest artists only

the most important, the most innovative, regardless of frequency of output

why not create an artist talk subforum where all topics have to be related to artists in general

you could then have there all the topics that would be in an artist related forum but not the problem that a certain artist does not deliver enough content to discuss like we now have with vibert and mu-ziq

it would make a nice addition to the ones we already have and at the same time distinguish the artist talk from general banter and new releases

That's an idea, but some have warned against compartmentalizing WATMM any further... The purpose of Subforums are so if someone's looking for info on a particular artist, they don't have to dig as deep through topics than if they only had General Banter to sift through (this was the impetus to begin with, as people were complaining of when one of the big artists had a new release, the main forum was clogged with topics all about that release, and other artists/topics got buried. The other purpose of the Subforums have to do with the eventual WATMM artist sections, covering their entire catalogues, articles, videos, etc. - Entries in the discographies will have linked discussion topics, so whether you're browsing the forums or the main site, you can see related discussions on a particular release.

sure by adding more subforums you also reduce the importance of existing ones

my main thought was to emphasize the artists discussions that are currently inside general banter and at the same time keep the importance on aphex twin and appendant

why not create an artist talk subforum where all topics have to be related to artists in general

you could then have there all the topics that would be in an artist related forum but not the problem that a certain artist does not deliver enough content to discuss like we now have with vibert and mu-ziq

it would make a nice addition to the ones we already have and at the same time distinguish the artist talk from general banter and new releases

That's an idea, but some have warned against compartmentalizing WATMM any further... The purpose of Subforums are so if someone's looking for info on a particular artist, they don't have to dig as deep through topics than if they only had General Banter to sift through (this was the impetus to begin with, as people were complaining of when one of the big artists had a new release, the main forum was clogged with topics all about that release, and other artists/topics got buried. The other purpose of the Subforums have to do with the eventual WATMM artist sections, covering their entire catalogues, articles, videos, etc. - Entries in the discographies will have linked discussion topics, so whether you're browsing the forums or the main site, you can see related discussions on a particular release.

sure by adding more subforums you also reduce the importance of existing ones

my main thought was to emphasize the artists discussions that are currently inside general banter and at the same time keep the importance on aphex twin and appendant

Well, this site is no primarily about Aphex Twin, or any particular artist, for that matter. Again, think of the subforums as containers for topics related to that artist - if you use the View Latest Posts link, you don't miss anything, and finding artist-specific info is easier than sorting through one massive forum.

RE; LFO - while I like Mark Bell, his back catalogue is not very extensive, and he has huge gaps between his releases. Plus, I think his focus now is more producing than performing or recording as an artist. That being said, he does have some notable songs/releases that did contribute to the electronic scene in the 90's...

OK, went ahead and did it - considering the combined total of the two pro choices for a Plaid subforum totaled more than the con choices, it seemed like a good idea. I'm going to be searching General Banter for threads, and moving them there.

Oh, there's also a Cylob subforum as well - why not, I like Cylob! So should you!

The problem with a group like Plaid is they've stopped developing, as much as I'd like to see/hear a new exciting audio project from them they seem to have reached their peak and stopped developing. It would be great to see artists like Ceephax and Clark have subforums because they are still fresh and active enough to generate worthwhile fuss and attention. I do think that Cylob is deserving though, mmm subforum for artists beginning with 'C' perhaps???

clark.

we might actually become relevant again

Just doesn't have the musical back catalogue like Plaid or Cylob... sorry. I like him too, Fred.

Since when was WATMM ever relevant? LOL

Guest awkward

i've never seen anyone request a plaid forum ever. however i've seen requests for a vsnares from about half the regular members. i understand that the reason one get a forum and the other doesnt is because of joyrexs oldskool electronic taste.

plaid are like a poor mans autechre without the innovation and the forward movement of ideas and sound.

do two lone swordsmen deserve a forum next?

and lfo.

i see a cylob forum too now. oh geez.

these opinions of plaid seem warped to me...

plaid have different melodies and track structure, not cliche electronic music. a lot of the time they don't have the most easily likable/accessible melodies** but their sound palette is bland*, a combination i actually like and UH YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTANDOJOSJFOJFOJOJ - they also have classic songs, brilliant songs, etc. clark's best tracks sound like they aren't finished. bdjfskls

*what people are people are put off by and stops them listening more like they would with random fader disguised autechre tracks

**what really puts people off the most, and why those people only like 1 or 2 plaid trks

i've never seen anyone request a plaid forum ever. however i've seen requests for a vsnares from about half the regular members. i understand that the reason one get a forum and the other doesnt is because of joyrexs oldskool electronic taste.

plaid are like a poor mans autechre without the innovation and the forward movement of ideas and sound.

do two lone swordsmen deserve a forum next?

and lfo.

i see a cylob forum too now. oh geez.

Just because you haven't seen those requests does not mean they weren't made via PM or email, which they have been for far longer than Mr. Funk has been producing his unique brand of "music".

I'm not the greatest fan of Plaid myself, but they do have the background and influence in early 90's electronic music, which, despite being "oldskool", is the very reason Snares, Clark and all these other artists can attribute their careers to in some part.

Archived