IGNORED

New Autechre/Hafler Trio collaboration

Guest Ephphatha

i'm hoping one day AE will produce an album that's predominately ambient (much more than oversteps, more like Minidisc) without being steamrolled over by Andrew Mckenzie's style. If no one told me anything i would assume that the last 3 releases were hafler trio by himself with no involvement from a collaborator, especially Autechre. they arent 'bad' just kind of forgettable, even for what genre they are in. I have the sense that in the Minidisc era the creativity output of AE was more confident seeming,these last 3 H3o collabs have a very self conscious feel to them, Am i the only one picking up on that?

I concur

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm hoping one day AE will produce an album that's predominately ambient (much more than oversteps, more like Minidisc) without being steamrolled over by Andrew Mckenzie's style. If no one told me anything i would assume that the last 3 releases were hafler trio by himself with no involvement from a collaborator, especially Autechre. they arent 'bad' just kind of forgettable, even for what genre they are in. I have the sense that in the Minidisc era the creativity output of AE was more confident seeming,these last 3 H3o collabs have a very self conscious feel to them, Am i the only one picking up on that?

Dude, you dont like the recent H30 records, dont like Alva noto's Xerrox : what's wrong with your drones ? :-)

Dude, you dont like the recent H30 records, dont like Alva noto's Xerrox : what's wrong with your drones ? :-)

To be honest though, most of h3o's output over the last decade has sounded like various objects yawning over Paulstretch.... (that's not to say I don't enjoy such a concept)

I must confess, that first part of aeo3 (that shimmering melody, lasting for ~ 6 min) is one of the best things i ever heard. Pure Autechre melancholic alienation. Rest part is OK too, but rather tiring.

Then, ae3o is a masterpiece for me too. I can't explain — listen to segment 3:30 - 4:20. Don't think about Paustretch. Just think about physically dying, for example :flower:

I hear proper Ae involvement in pieces, where 'ae' is prefix. In contrast, pieces with 'h3' and '3h' prefixes are more old-fashioned in terms of soundprocessing etc.

To be honest though, most of h3o's output over the last decade has sounded like various objects yawning over Paulstretch.... (that's not to say I don't enjoy such a concept)

True, but a pretty well tempered paulstretching (see Leif Inge also)

i just am picky with drone and experimental music like i am with anything else i absorb. And you didn't counter my observation that these records sound like straight up Halfer Trio and not AE, which would make me assume you don't disagree with that all that much, and if thats the case then yes i echo what Mcbpete said above that for the last ten years Andrew Mckenzie has been putting out records that sound nearly identical to each-other. So to have almost literally my favorite musical act, Autechre do a collaboration with him and the result ends up sounding like him... yeah it's a little disappointing to say the least.

Yeah yeah i totally understand this view. Me, being a true H30 fan (recent works, like digital drones) really like the idea of Autechre being swallowed in Hafler Trio methods (or sounds). I like the idea that some strong musical entity (Ae) can adjust itself to another strong musical entity (H30) to the point its hard to know who made what.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, looking at press releases for this (and some online shop descriptions) it appears as if the audio is available in both Dolby Digital and DTS. Can anyone confirm playback in Dolby Digital on their equipment as on my setup I can only get this particular DVD to play out in DTS - which my decoder is incapable of playing so down-converts to a PCM2.0 signal (thus defeating the point of the surround sound project).

• 2 weeks later...

the DVD doesn't have a very configurable menu. Ideally it would have a selection to switch between Stereo, DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 . Are you sure your decoder is not capable of playing back a 5.1 DTS? it would be unusual if your receiver had a DTS decoder, but only decoded it to 2 channels

Are you sure your decoder is not capable of playing back a 5.1 DTS? it would be unusual if your receiver had a DTS decoder, but only decoded it to 2 channels

It's this shite thing:

extigy3.jpg

I used to use it (many years ago) as my external card for my PC until I bought a decent firewire one. It does the job for playing PS3 games and Dolby Digital DVDs/Blurays in 5.1 and actually has a bloody good SNR for the price but when it comes to DTS - no dice (I notice it plays Plaid - Greedy Baby DVD in stereo too as it's also only comes with a DTS soundtrack option). I think it might be the PS3 that down-converts it to a PCM 2.0 stream but I can't be 100% sure...

the DVD doesn't have a very configurable menu. Ideally it would have a selection to switch between Stereo, DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 .

Aaaaaah, I'm an idiot - that actually helped a lot. What I did was press the 'Audio' button on the ps3 remote (usually used to manually select between languages or directors commentary on DVDs) and on this Ae/H3O DVD it switches between Dolby Digital and DTS modes. Yay - I can now listen to it as it was meant to be !!

fuck yeah dude, i know how that feels. on my receiver there is a button called '2 channel' and unless one turns it off manually it's always set for stereo only. I spent about an hour fiddling with my optical cables, trying new ones, changing the DVD menu settings until i finally realized it was a single button i needed to push on my receiver.

what is the exact model # of that device you have, i'd be surprised if it was capable of 5.1 Dolby Digital but only downmixed 2.0 DTS ( if i can examine the manual you might be able to go back and enjoy that Plaid DVD in 5.1)

• 1 month later...

I really love the second installment (telefunken is right about the beginning of aeo3- it's really shimmering beauty underneath the bass sheets) and was looking forward the alltime-delayed third part and was really catched by the preview snippets but after listening to the tracks for an hour I felt really dissapointed. Andrew is really dominant over here and the sounds are nicely greyish drones (a bit like Tietchens later work) but they are only- nice.

Instead of putting out even longer works with every new entry (first one mini(maxi)disc, the second normal CD and the last one DVD- hey this is a bit like Terry Riley guys!) they reduce the sheer amount of long stretched material on the releases.

My favourites in lenght and quality from Hafler Trio are especially the short releases. I would gladly kiss hands for a new FUCK, A Small Child Dreams Of Voiding The Plague or the wonderful Dreamachine release with GPO.

I don't think that Autechre and H3O are a bad couple- Andrew is really dominant and should give Autechre more room next time and reduce the lenght to an album on CD or Maxidisc.

Guest sickboy

the last ten years Andrew Mckenzie has been putting out records that sound nearly identical to each-other

dunn o if ur serious but seriously, no

Andrew McKenzie the man behind recent AE h3o collaboration shares his thoughts on matter on recent (03 september) Simply Superior podcast.

Wow...Andrew McKenzie comes across very different from how I imagined he would (or how I'd imagine any electronic musician would). I thought the quieter guy was him until it became obvious it wasn't!

He's very....talkative.

i play game where i put h30 on and a moderate volume and see how long before the sig-other notices and instructs to do something about it (usually of the "turn off" variety)

Archived