IGNORED

New Autechre/Hafler Trio collaboration

Guest Ephphatha

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew McKenzie the man behind recent AE h3o collaboration shares his thoughts on matter on recent (03 september) Simply Superior podcast.

Non-iTurd link please?

You can subscribe using winamp 'podcast' section by enetering url simplysuperior.info/podcast.xml

Oh yes! October conference is out, some releated to-topic thoughts inside it. Actually it is discussed forth and back in all of them!

Or for lazy people:

1st July -

http://simplysuperior.info/01-Jul_14-47-edit.mp3

Fiona (a man, BTW) video admiration proceeds. what dogs are barking in your neighborhood? the next Simply Superior development(s) are addressed. american handwriting and the american education system. russian literacy, yes or no? Is there too much entertainment? what purpose does it really serve? Mr. McKenzie is obviously tired, but puts in a credible performance and perhaps says more than he should...

6th Aug -

http://simplysuperior.info/SS-teleconference-06-Aug_14-44.mp3

the lovely Jon Mueller drops in. questions about time are relayed, answered, debated and confabulated. time-distortion for fun and profit. a Hafler Trio performance where for 14 hours, one note is played - easily. changing the nature of operations carried out by the brain - or are they? learning things backwards is not a strange as it may first appear. the important differences and recognition of quality and quantity. internal language, speaking of time's nominalisation. time in other directions, and learning how to control it are given a small shake-down. re-framing as a tool to be reckoned with. the difference between temporary states and permanent structures. learning by getting things wrong, and the lack of a need for new input. education. perspectives. Chicago! behaviour. IQ tests. self-exploration and the problems of choice. my word! a hammer

3rd Sep -

http://simplysuperior.info/SS-teleconference-03-Sep_2011.mp3

mainly a discussion on some aspects behind and in front of the recent long-awaited collaboration with Autechre, with some pointers and perhaps meanings, and some suggestions for further thought. an owner of a copy of one of the DJARTKLOM editions speaks! interaction with children, and the invisible gorilla.

8th Oct -

http://simplysuperior.info/SS-teleconference-08-Oct_14-13.mp3

the importance of focus, and the place where real communication takes place. the nostalgia and glorification of technology as soon as it has been superseded. mass art forms today may contain that of greatest worth because of their limitations. life before cntrl-Z or 'undo'. calligraphy. the metaphors that are used that make us into the technology we use. the inbetweenies!

.... except you have to download and install miro player as well (whatever the hell that is ?!)

but as result you will have subscription based sheet with graphics and proper description and updates, opposed to silly framed, bad text formating equivalent at the forum posts list. and you don't need to install itunes also!

• 3 years later...

would be not last long before sold out, will see how much they would ask on it after a year...

Well, exactly four years and one day later and I finally found the courage to order this from Die Stadt. Next step will be to get a decent 5.1 system...

Never thought it would be still available, but let's see what happens now that I've paid.

Looks nice though...

11503F2.jpg

Still haven't heard this on a proper/decent 5.1 - Nearest I have is my Playstation running through a 4.0 system that's meant more as an external audio interface than a proper surround sound thing ...

Wouldn't be too worried - Sean said he'd still not heard it when he met up with McKenzie months after release either !

;-)

Neither have I.

They talked about it on that Simply Superior podcast.

Sean said something along the lines that 5.1 Systems are a right pain in the ass to set up and he hadn't heard any of it yet.

kek

But that was a couple of years ago now, maybe he has heard it?

I have a 5.1 setup in my basement, and this sounds phenomenal on it. They play around with it a lot, particular in the second track, where some of the transitions sound like a vacuum sucking up all the sound from every side of you and then spilling it all back out. It really is worth it to hear it properly!

They talked about it on that Simply Superior podcast.

Sean said something along the lines that 5.1 Systems are a right pain in the ass to set up and he hadn't heard any of it yet.

kek

But that was a couple of years ago now, maybe he has heard it?

he could have been trolling but Sean made it sound like Andrew did most of the album himself including the 5.1 mix. would have to look back at what he actually said to know for sure

I have a 5.1 setup in my basement, and this sounds phenomenal on it. They play around with it a lot, particular in the second track, where some of the transitions sound like a vacuum sucking up all the sound from every side of you and then spilling it all back out. It really is worth it to hear it properly!

Awesome, and you are one of the few who actually listened to it properly :dadjoke: Listened to a rip of it yesterday on an average 2.1 system and it was already very enjoyable, glad I bought it.

Is there anyway I can listen to that Simply Superiour podcast? I wanted to avoid iTunes but it's not even on there anymore.

Nevermind, it's here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byfa7VRPb_pmSFgya2ZvNXNTNE0/view

ha, I *still* haven't heard it in full. I should really get my 5.1 audio device working on my macbook.. it's a Creative one so there are no OSX drivers but apparently the individual channels still come up in the audio/midi settings.

I promise it's 150% worth it to hear in 5.1! I listen to a lot of things in surround, and often the mixes are hit or miss, but they really utilized the medium to its fullest potential here.

Also another cool effect is in the first track, the "demented sewing machine" sound, as I call it, circles around you slowly as the volume and intensity rises and falls. At times it will be only in the back speakers, really quietly, but will twist and cortort itself back up front or on all sides, just becoming immense. It really fucks with your head.

Archived