IGNORED

New Autechre/Hafler Trio collaboration

Guest Ephphatha

GREAT!

Yet another opportunity for Autechre to be boring and forgettable this year!

LOLed heavily.

Agree, when is Autechre going to stop 'pushing the boundaries of music' for once.... Why don't they make another Rae or something lol

The only new tune I really like is Altibzz

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Ephphatha
someone PM me when this is released. I can't figure out how to sign up for the mailing list.

i'll post on here as soon as it's available :ok:

• 1 month later...
and me. (After all, I bought the last limited Hafler catfish skin wrapped, lava rock and herb filled album: http://www.hardformat.org/?p=84 )

that is Xtreme!

a little too Xtreme for me.

how much did it cost you?

packaging is nice, but Hafler Trios post 2000 output has been very very poor compared to his previous works. I think he just realizes he can pump out these beautifully packaged simple drone albums now and make $40 a pop on each one. Its a smart business venture. someone told me a sad/funny story about Andrew M. McKenzie the other day. Apparently some huge fan of his put a 2nd mortgage on his house to do some really expensive Exclusive Hafler Trio special packaging release on his own label. He spent thousands of dollars out of pocket for it and somewhere along the line Andrew got paranoid and started e-mailing many important people in the experimental scene warning them not to buy this release because he claims the guy was screwing him. Sounds like an experimental music diva to me. its a shame that Autechre isnt putting out the Zoviet France collaborations they claim they did, that would be a collaboration i would be excited about.

Guest Ephphatha
Still not released then? :)

Nope. Andrew McKenzie said the following - in his highly idiosyncratic fashion (with emphasis on "idio") - last week:

"the release is indefinitely delayed, due to the highly restrictive practises of pressing plants - originally, these restrictions were meant to protect the "artist" - at present, they are blocking production of this item.

we hope to have this resolved this year."

In case anyone didn't know already, the release will take the form of 2 audio DVDs (5.1), comprising a total of over 2 hours of music, in a limited edition of 1,000.

pff... too bad, well i can wait. i understand his point but i cant agree with awepitance : sure latest H3O has been pretty minimal, but i take it as a sonic version of malevitch white square. in the drone area H3O has put out some stunning releases. no matter how void & (almost) silent his recordings are, the music remains sublime.

Guest Ephphatha
(After all, I bought the last limited Hafler catfish skin wrapped, lava rock and herb filled album: http://www.hardformat.org/?p=84 )

i posted those pictures onto Hard Format! Hope they did the release justice... i may do some more Hafler Trio when time permits.

pff... too bad, well i can wait. i understand his point but i cant agree with awepitance : sure latest H3O has been pretty minimal, but i take it as a sonic version of malevitch white square. in the drone area H3O has put out some stunning releases. no matter how void & (almost) silent his recordings are, the music remains sublime.

i agree completely. On the one hand, while Andrew McKenzie isn't a diva, he *does* like to concoct an esoteric air around him & his music that most of the time is frankly off-putting (& i'm in no way opposed to "difficult" music), but the music needs to be judged on its own merits, & i really feel his more recent Hafler Trio releases (i.e. the last 15 years or so) are among the most technically brilliant & downright beautiful electronic music i've ever heard. Oh, & they're NOT drone pieces!! i think calling them that would project entirely the wrong kind of message about the music's intentions...

i hate 5.1 used for music, but how can i resist buying these?!

and me. (After all, I bought the last limited Hafler catfish skin wrapped, lava rock and herb filled album: http://www.hardformat.org/?p=84 )

that is Xtreme!

a little too Xtreme for me.

how much did it cost you?

I think it was £40, which is kind of a lot but you did also get a two disc album and a DVD too. So that's like over three hours of Hafler related musical goodness (compared to only 15 mins for £40 with the Analord binder, which erm I also bought)

Guest Ephphatha
I think it was £40, which is kind of a lot but you did also get a two disc album and a DVD too. So that's like over three hours of Hafler related musical goodness (compared to only 15 mins for £40 with the Analord binder, which erm I also bought)

i think you're right, it didn't cost anywhere near as much as i expected it to. All of the Hafler Trio releases, i think, could be priced much more highly than they are, & still be reasonable, considering both the brilliance of the music as well as the remarkable attention to detail shown in the art & design work. i once asked Andrew McKenzie why higher prices weren't being charged (especially as he always complains about the lack of money he makes), & he stated the record companies set the prices & he has no say in it. Sounds a bit laissez-faire to me, but maybe artists really don't have much say about such things...

What actually came in the Analord binder? Sounds like some rippage to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ephphatha

Here's the latest news, received yesterday:

OUT EARLY NOVEMBER !

A U T E C H R E & T H E H A F L E R T R I O 'ah3eo&ha3oe'

DOUBLE AUDIO DVD (5.1. Version) (DS94)

The next installment of the enthralling collaboration by h3o and those likely lads Autechre is ready to see the light of day on Die Stadt and Simply Superior. this should make the previous two glow again with renewed ardour, and provide a couple of answers, but many, many more questions.

This release will come in a special format: double Audio DVD (5.1. Version), each disc featuring 2 hours of music. due to the special nature of the format this title will come in a limited edition of 1000 copies.

Total playing time: 240:03 min.

Track listing:

Disc One:

1. 'ah3eo' 120'00

Disc Two:

1. 'ha3oe' 120'03

PRICE: 20,00EURO

Seems incredibly cheap for 2 DVDs/hours of music :ok:

Here's the latest news, received yesterday:

OUT EARLY NOVEMBER !

A U T E C H R E & T H E H A F L E R T R I O 'ah3eo&ha3oe'

DOUBLE AUDIO DVD (5.1. Version) (DS94)

This sounds like its all largely propaganda

I could spend my money more wisely than on this.

you must de joking dude. cant think of a better way to spent 20 euros in the music field.

like, Autechre & Hafler trio are masters in terms of sounds, some of the very best electronic artist of our time.

they're releasing FOUR hours of new music on 5.1 & you're still complaining?

ah ah, i cant agree with that at all..

I could spend my money more wisely than on this.

you must de joking dude. cant think of a better way to spent 20 euros in the music field.

like, Autechre & Hafler trio are masters in terms of sounds, some of the very best electronic artist of our time.

they're releasing FOUR hours of new music on 5.1 & you're still complaining?

ah ah, i cant agree with that at all..

i must be missing out on some of H30's recent work being the one of the 'best electronic artists of our time'

perhaps someone can suggest a release that's particularly good and does not cost $50 ?

I have one Hafler Trio album. I don't like it at all and listened to it once. It is one of their older ones. I'll probably get this though. Even though I don't have a 5.1 system...

Archived