IGNORED

Phoenecia

kcinsu

I think there are definite reference points between Exai and the slower, murkier Phoenecia tracks... In mood if nothing else.

At the very least it's obvious they share the same love for deconstructed hip hop.

When I bought Brownout on vinyl, I'd never heard the music before & thought it was supposed to be played at 45 rpm, as the music's so slow. Took me a while to get used to hearing it at the proper speed! Of course, it's one of my favourite albums now - especially Biorepo & Melfad.

• 3 months later...
Guest theSun

brownout is one of those albums for me where i see why everyone loves it. unique sound and very well produced.

personally, i love about half of it and the other half does nothing for me. demissions is similar.

love: diganesa, jpace, suite d256, grrl trrbl, biorepo, odd job (~4min on is album highlight), melfad

non-specific acoustic stimulation is most idm track title

echelon mall is cool but i can't get as into their ambient stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea they were on Astalwerks back in the day - Seems weird the disparity of that really glamorous and somewhat mainstream looking show to have a section about these guys. Is the a/v sync a bit out during that interview for anyone else, like distractingly out of sync ?

Yeah, it's pretty irritatingly out of sync.

Does anyone have recordings of phoenecia or soul oddity live shows? I only have the nesh recording, which is incredible, but I know that other recordings are out there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea they were on Astalwerks back in the day - Seems weird the disparity of that really glamorous and somewhat mainstream looking show to have a section about these guys. Is the a/v sync a bit out during that interview for anyone else, like distractingly out of sync ?

i think it's because it's a hispanic/latin culture show. In the US we have a lot of TV programming specifically tailored to african americans, hispanic americans, and now even asian americans. I'd be surprised if they appeared on something like this outside of that context. PRetty awesome regardless.

the Soul Oddity album they put out is pretty awesome, probably the best thing off Astralwerks besides FSOL

the Soul Oddity album they put out is pretty awesome, probably the best thing off Astralwerks besides FSOL

tone capsule was the kro͞ot on which, aural patisserie schematic records was later to be served

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, got this album shortly after reading. Also opened me up to Schematic which has some true gems I would have never heard about elsewhere.

• 10 months later...

Finally got around to giving this a proper listen after a handful of half assed inattentive sessions with it. Melfad is masterfully crafted with such precision and control, for that it reminds me of ae's Sublimit

I overrated Demissions when it came out, placing it below but still in the ballpark of Brownout. Revisiting it recently I don't think it's in the ballpark :( due to a few not-so-interesting tracks.

Brownout never fades though.

Haven't gotten on to other albums of theirs yet, listening to this at the moment..

Thnx 4 posting

Does a download of this exist anywhere? Could rip from YT and extract the audio but I reckon the upload had to come from some original recording maybe