IGNORED

Scotch

Guest leprechaun

Guest leprechaun

I've got a friend who's birthday is coming up this weekend - I need to get him a gift. I know he likes single malt scotch. Trouble is I know absolutely nothing about scotch, what brands are good, what makes a good brand, how much I can get for my money, etc.

I'm sure there are scotch aficionados on here, any suggestions? My budget is around the 60 dollah mark.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tony Danza
3m matte, or double-sided

I see what you did there!

There's no $60 scotch where I live, just cheap blends, what I consider very nice single malts for $22 and then top shelf scotches that I don't enjoy and cost much more than $60

Basically, I have no advice

Guest Quixote
Dalmore 12 year is extremely affordable for how good it is

4515521407.jpg

amen! this is usually what i pick up for the same reason. i have never let myself get the really expensive looking bottles, except a small bottle of glenlivet a few times.

I've got a friend who's birthday is coming up this weekend - I need to get him a gift. I know he likes single malt scotch. Trouble is I know absolutely nothing about scotch, what brands are good, what makes a good brand, how much I can get for my money, etc.

I'm sure there are scotch aficionados on here, any suggestions? My budget is around the 60 dollah mark.

johnnie walker black label.

it's about the best balance of snobby scotch and "drink me" scotch. ~$35-40ish a fifth

johnny walker is shit.

don't ask americans about whisky.

get a single malt, do NOT get a blend.

islay malts are heavy on the phenolic overtones...

speyside malts tend to be more caramelly.

seriously, the amount of americans who have told me johnny walker is good whisky and have subsequently been introduced to real whisky, only to wonder what the hell they were talking about previously when recommending the JW black... i could count on ..like,.. one and a half hands.

seriously though.

jpohnny walker is total shit.

Guest burnibus

i agree JW is pish. dont bother with that.

I really like highland park, its very easy to drink just dead smooth, you can get 16 year old and its just warm and lovely. On the other hand i also like jura alot and although its not super expensive its got a wicked sharpness of flavour, proper gets you.

For something really sweet and easy to drink try Dalwhinnie thats nice.

My favourite ever has to be 18 year old Caol isla, its so subtle and smokey and smooth. its just the dogs bollocks basically

http://www.scotchenthusiast.com/2007_02_01_archive.html

you'll not get a caol isla in the states for less than about 100 bucks afaik.

caol isla single cask is fucking amazing.

and highland park is indeed good... it's one of the cheaper malts too.

Guest burnibus
you'll not get a caol isla in the states for less than about 100 bucks afaik.

caol isla single cask is fucking amazing.

and highland park is indeed good... it's one of the cheaper malts too.

jees louise $100 thats steep. but its worth it. i may have to go whiskey shopping soon, my housemate is into his malts as well and has more money than me so i have 3 nice whiskeys at home waiting for me should i choose to delve. yummy.

The best Scotch comes from Malaysia, pm Rook and he can give you the low down.

also the more blends, the better. nothing like a fine triple malt with soda and ice.

Guest Tony Danza

What do you guys think of McClelland Scotch? Idaho is a state-controlled liquor state so my scotch choices are very limited--it's the best affordable single malt I could find

I really enjoy the islay variety, and then buying a highland

My period key is broken, please excuse my sentences forever

Dalmore 50 Years Old

This is one most of us can only dream of. Very seldom does the opportunity arise to acquire such a rare spirit as The Dalmore 50 year old Single Highland Malt Whisky. Carefully stored at the Dalmore distillery for over half a century, the minimum age of the whisky contained within is 50 years old, however a proportion of the spirit was first drawn on the 4th March 1922, which in turn is reputed to embody some Dalmore from 10th June 1868 and 18th February 1878. The result is a truly soft, elegant and finely balanced malt whisky, bottled at the natural cask strength of 52% alcohol by volume, with exquisite tones of Olorosso sherry and only a subtle hint of American White Oak. Taking an age to reach perfection, but only seconds to recognise, this is a deserved masterpiece. Each Dalmore 50 year old is individually numbered and signed by third generation Master Blender, Richard Paterson, the number to be found on the inner lid of the presentation box. The spirit itself is contained in a heavy cut glass crystal decanter, embossed with the Dalmore Stags Head emblem. A certificate within the box describes how to best enjoy and care for the Dalmore 50 years old.

Available from The Whisky Exchange - :omg: £4500.00 :omg:

Archived