bought this yesterday

really good

best I've heard this year so far...

ok...alongside the new stendeck album

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IRARI

i've changed my mind about this record... had been listening to a bit too much wisp when i buh-leeted the leak

Guest tibbar

bought honor beats from amazon dirt cheap ($9.95 brand new) to prepare me for shimmering hour, and now that i have the record, i went straight out and bought building dragons (i don't even own a vinyl player) to show my wisp love and support!

Guest HokusPoker

Why can't I understand his music?

To me, there's nothing in it except for some ordinary melodies put onto ordinary beats.

Guest catsonearth

To me, there's nothing in it except for some ordinary melodies put onto ordinary beats.

what would be an example of non-ordinary melodies put onto non-ordinary beats?

i mean, sure, wisp is a little derivative, but there's a lot to his music and it stands up strongly next to anyone he might be accused of being derivative of - he's certainly blown squarepusher out of the water if you compare all their material from the last few years...in my opinion, at least. it's not always about being original and groundbreaking. wisp does what he does and there's a lot of variety, experimentation and playfulness in what he's doing within the confines of the genre. interesting instrumentation, nice synth sounds, great atmosphere, catchy melodies, progressive composition...i don't think "ordinary" really describes it. if you're into this kind of music (plug, aphex, pusher, u-ziq, kettle, etc), then it's easy to hear the appeal of it, but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

+1

This album is boring. OK, pretty decent melodies and beats, but nothing really that spectacular or mind blowing. And hate the sound of this album, it sounds like stock/preset synths and boring drums. uuugh

Guest tibbar

wisp just hits me in an emotional sweet spot... i can relate to the feelings he is conveying, the visuals they put in my mind are good ones. there's a child-like optimism and freedom to what he does that i find thrilling. academia aside, as it should be, the heart and soul of his music rings clear to me.

Guest JohnTqs
bought honor beats from amazon dirt cheap ($9.95 brand new) to prepare me for shimmering hour, and now that i have the record, i went straight out and bought building dragons (i don't even own a vinyl player) to show my wisp love and support!

jesus christ

i was joking about the sounds like muziq thing. i recall reid stating paradinas as an influence.

not only is it killer music in the obvious ways but the production is crazyyyyy. super nice sounding, especially in a good set of headphones.

Guest HokusPoker

i mean, sure, wisp is a little derivative, but there's a lot to his music and it stands up strongly next to anyone he might be accused of being derivative of - he's certainly blown squarepusher out of the water if you compare all their material from the last few years...in my opinion, at least. it's not always about being original and groundbreaking. wisp does what he does and there's a lot of variety, experimentation and playfulness in what he's doing within the confines of the genre. interesting instrumentation, nice synth sounds, great atmosphere, catchy melodies, progressive composition...i don't think "ordinary" really describes it. if you're into this kind of music (plug, aphex, pusher, u-ziq, kettle, etc), then it's easy to hear the appeal of it, but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

I guess I'm too picky. I absolutely love Aphex Twin, I CANNOT STAND µ-Ziq, I like about a third of Squarepushers music, and I can't seem to keep one of Wisp's melodies in my head. To me, they're just some notes up, some notes down, without any inspiration.

He always seems TRYING. Like somebody who's seen a good musician making music, trying to copy that and completely missing the point.

A bit like Passage D by Flashbulb. A quite nice, not genius though, melody and an unbelievably ridiculous beat that sounds like "Let's give it the biggest complexity I'm capable of and it will sound like great breakbeat. If that's who you spell that genre, that break-thing.".

I guess I'm too picky. I absolutely love Aphex Twin, I CANNOT STAND µ-Ziq, I like about a third of Squarepushers music, and I can't seem to keep one of Wisp's melodies in my head. To me, they're just some notes up, some notes down, without any inspiration.

He always seems TRYING. Like somebody who's seen a good musician making music, trying to copy that and completely missing the point.

A bit like Passage D by Flashbulb. A quite nice, not genius though, melody and an unbelievably ridiculous beat that sounds like "Let's give it the biggest complexity I'm capable of and it will sound like great breakbeat. If that's who you spell that genre, that break-thing.".

Attention everyone: I've just been figured out.

ManBehindTheCurtain.jpg

But yeah, anyhow...nice to see a good chunk of you enjoying the album. 12" is on its way, plus a few other things. keep your eyes peeled.

Attention everyone: I've just been figured out.

ManBehindTheCurtain.jpg

But yeah, anyhow...nice to see a good chunk of you enjoying the album. 12" is on its way, plus a few other things. keep your eyes peeled.

oh awesome!

I just ordered the vinyl on boomkat... can't wait!

Guest tibbar

whats funny is i never think of wisp as "trying too hard" to be or do anything... it's always felt WAY more natural and less poseur-y than 75% of what i hear coming from the idm/dnb/electronic movement. dubstep = 90% fronting with a wankery accent. breakcore = 90% dumb "offensive" titles about vaginas. acid = 90% "hey let's never stray from 808's and 16th note basslines"

now don't get me wrong, i like all that stuff... but i acknowledge it for what it is. on the other hand, i'd say someone who is able to pull off the kind of understated and pretty or sad moments that wisp pulls off is in a different class. is there some bombast? certainly... and it's exciting. but there is also a child-like naivete that i dont think you can just box into a genre. remember... in music, the tools you use to make the sounds you desire is a choice. it's an expression. not EVERYONE is stunting. that's why i like wisp. it's got heart.

but then again there's some of you who think that everything milieu does is a essentially boc clone, in which case your opinion is a dirty diaper.

whats funny is i never think of wisp as "trying too hard" to be or do anything... it's always felt WAY more natural and less poseur-y than 75% of what i hear coming from the idm/dnb/electronic movement. dubstep = 90% fronting with a wankery accent. breakcore = 90% dumb "offensive" titles about vaginas. acid = 90% "hey let's never stray from 808's and 16th note basslines"

now don't get me wrong, i like all that stuff... but i acknowledge it for what it is. on the other hand, i'd say someone who is able to pull off the kind of understated and pretty or sad moments that wisp pulls off is in a different class. is there some bombast? certainly... and it's exciting. but there is also a child-like naivete that i dont think you can just box into a genre. remember... in music, the tools you use to make the sounds you desire is a choice. it's an expression. not EVERYONE is stunting. that's why i like wisp. it's got heart.

but then again there's some of you who think that everything milieu does is a essentially boc clone, in which case your opinion is a dirty diaper.

fucking awesome post, agree 100%...

Not going to lie when I first sampled some Wisp, I thought... wow this is cutting it close in terms of ripping AFX... but once I gave both the EP and the Shimmering Hour a proper listen, both became uniquely there own thing. I get completely different emotions and feelings from Wisp's music and its no mistake that Richard put it out on his own label (unlike the flashbulb).

Guest tibbar

i was just having a conversation today with someone about the idea of a "new sound" and honestly, we both agree that there isnt one. i dont think theres some new genre out there waiting to be found. i think we live in a time when it is now about individual artist's choices; gear, aesthetics, etc. scenes are dead. the second there became an "idm" scene, it died. or a punk scene, or a no wave scene, etc. you cant think in terms of scenes, or who is a ripoff of who. i mean, i grew up listening to icbyd... it was an influence on me, not just as a musician, but just in terms of opening me up to things that were foreign to my ears. doesnt mean rdj doesnt have HIS influences that some might say he "rips off" from time to time (i'm looking in your direction, cage/stockhausen-y shit on drukqs!). i mean, i think people put alot of dumb ideas in their head that block them from just hearing sounds and saying "i enjoy this". not saying that's anyone who doesn't dig wisp... but i think the "afx ripoff" thing is SO tired. if he was that and had nothing more to offer, he wouldn't be on rephlex.

not trying to be argumentative or a shit-starter, but i just don't see how some people can't see it.

FUCKING CHRIST

after waiting two weeks for my LP, i go on to amazon.com and check the order status....THIS ITEM HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED BY THE MANUFACTURER

what the fuck? FUCK amazon

goddamn it i wanted this on vinyl so bad.

does anyone have a stateside link I can purchase it from? im so fucking pissed off now.

FUCKING CHRIST

after waiting two weeks for my LP, i go on to amazon.com and check the order status....THIS ITEM HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED BY THE MANUFACTURER

does anyone have a stateside link I can purchase it from? im so fucking pissed off now.

WHY THE FUCK WOULDNT AMAZON AT LEAST ORDER STOCK FOR THE ONES PREORDERED A MONTH IN ADVANCE GODFUCKINGDAMMIT

FUCKING CHRIST

WHY THE FUCK WOULDNT AMAZON AT LEAST ORDER STOCK FOR THE ONES PREORDERED A MONTH IN ADVANCE GODFUCKINGDAMMIT

OH SHIT... I HOPE MY ORDER FROM BOOMKAT COMES NOW. WHAT IS WITH REPHLEX PRINTING SO FEW ALWAYS? DON"T THYE UNDERSTAND HOW FAST THEIR SHIT GETS PICKED UP?

Archived