IGNORED

Discogs is wrong-ass again

eh Speedy

So on the Black Dog Productions main page they have the IDs all wrong. for Bytes:

Ken Downie = Xeper / I.A.O. / Discordian Popes

Ed Handley = Close, Up, Over / Balil

Andy Turner = Atypic / Plaid (yeah him alone for that record)

they wouldn't let me change it because i couldn't find the interview i read it in, but the old Plaid Bubble official site had some unreleased Atypic and Close, Up, Over tracks on it, proving that C, U, O was not Ken like Discogs has posted.

Guest PusillanimousRex

I tried to correct this stuff two years or more ago and got nowhere either. I even submitted the Close Up Over, Balil and Atypic tracks and wasn't approved because they were MP3 downloads and no longer available. Of course, downloads are now acceptable, but too bad for Discogs. Every time I interact with that database, I swear I'll never contribute again, but somehow I always feel compelled to return at some point, despite myself.

yeah i've actually gotten through w/ some things so it encourages me when one thing goes right out of 10 pain in the ass wrongs (mostly anal mods bitching about something petty). I've also had a friend that made mod so he checks my stuff out faster than some of them....but sometimes i get flustered w/ some of his requests even. it could actually be really good training on how to deal w/ anger in real life like in a business situation. same thing.

I too tried to get that info changed on discogs a ways back, but no such luck. As was stated, on Plaid's old site around the time "trainer" was released they had these songs available for download:

Balil - Merck (premix)

Close, Up, Over - Pjum

Atypic - Everything

I gave up trying to get it changed, but i think your best bet is to make a thread in the Electronic Music forum so it gains some popularity. I wouldn't doubt it if Martin Dust posts in the thread with reassurance he heard from Ken himself.

• 2 weeks later...
yeah i've actually gotten through w/ some things so it encourages me when one thing goes right out of 10 pain in the ass wrongs (mostly anal mods bitching about something petty). I've also had a friend that made mod so he checks my stuff out faster than some of them....but sometimes i get flustered w/ some of his requests even. it could actually be really good training on how to deal w/ anger in real life like in a business situation. same thing.

yeah i used to submit shit to discogs but because of that shit i just gave up

• 2 months later...
on Plaid's old site around the time "trainer" was released they had these songs available for download:

Balil - Merck (premix)

Close, Up, Over - Pjum

Atypic - Everything

Sorry for the bump, but would anyone be able to upload these tracks anywhere? I'm guessing it's OK to ask here if they were up on Plaid's own site in the first place.

Guest ezkerraldean
Whoa, I didn't expect either of you to go this far when dealing with discogs innacuracies and their rational lacking admins. :laughing:
haha, you play world of warcraft, nerd

Guest PusillanimousRex
on Plaid's old site around the time "trainer" was released they had these songs available for download:

Balil - Merck (premix)

Close, Up, Over - Pjum

Atypic - Everything

Sorry for the bump, but would anyone be able to upload these tracks anywhere? I'm guessing it's OK to ask here if they were up on Plaid's own site in the first place.

I should be able to find time later this evening. I'll post back here once they're ready to go.

I forgot, there was another track available, so 4 alltogether:

Balil - Hammers

I have all of the tracks, but on my old PC. If no one else is able to this coming week, I'll either get them transfered over or hook the old one back up.

Now, these tracks if I remember correctly are poorly encoded. I think something like 56 bitrate.

Sorry for the delay - been a spot of real life getting in the way lately.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQDGZVX8

I don't think they're 56kbps, though - they don't sound all that bad. maybe 128? I had converted them long ago, so I can't remember for sure.

Thanks for going to the trouble, it's much appreciated.

I don't think they're 56kbps, though - they don't sound all that bad. maybe 128? I had converted them long ago, so I can't remember for sure.

Thanks for going to the trouble, it's much appreciated. :angry: (nice tracks! i got Bytes and... awesome!!!)

Guest PusillanimousRex

No problem. I don't mind sharing things like this that the band has no financial interest in and that are old and hard to find... And that were free in the first place.

I've been trying to remember what the original bitrate was, but I'm still not 100% sure. I think they might have reduced their file sizes not simply through low bitrate compression, but through a combination of compression and reduced sample rate as well. If I look at the waveforms in a 44.1khz timeline, they clearly appear stepped. Maybe 22.05khz/128kbps? Though, honestly, I'm not hearing quite as much codec noise as usual with a 128kbps file.

Anyway, blah blah blah... Maybe it can be hosted here, along with the rest. Perhaps even give me the added prestige of crediting me for my poopy mastering job so people will shout my name on the rooftops. Hint: it's not Sidney Applebaum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Globe

Thanks a lot for these too, always good to hear more from them.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived