IGNORED

Metropolis (1927) Soundtrack

Squee

man this reminds me of this one magazine that had interviews with the rza and with jon brion and the rza is all like "melodic themes yeah I'm all about that" and brions like "ugh no melodic themes are just totally undoable". We don't want to piss off our jon brions, so yeah, I would again have to side with what rook is proposing, in that we just have people talk to each other.

"in terms of continuity, isnt it obvious? once we have finished our passage, each person is sent the preseding persons portion and has to make a smooth transition."

that just gives you a good flow. you could have a smooth transition between an operatic vocal sample and an electric guitar drone, but that won't give a sense of continuity.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oops didnt see rooks post until having posted myself.

its near impossible to achieve real continuity without all of use sitting in a studio together for weeks. so instead of dwelling on notions of a full collaberation, would there be merit alone in the fact that it would have a compilation esque quality to it? we are primarily music makers, not soundtrack scorers.

however, i do think rooks got the right idea. perhaps after each person finishes their passage we all mix down into a sort of sample/sound database of the key elements to your piece. we could then agree and sort through different elements to use as 'glue' throughout. like a certain sequence or sound used for a character/opening - these can then be used freely by the next person who has to score the relevant visual.

metropolis = breakcore

when is the last time you watched the movie? lol?

Yea, though. Tell your friends. Get more people involved. Looks like about twelve or so, so far. Could be good if we get a lot of interest.

At the moment this seems like the plan: (still subject to change since we are still brainstorming)

Edit the film into 20 or so parts.

Post parts on youtube or something for those who do not have the movie.

Assign parts randomly.

Give out names of the person with the scene directly ahead and directly before you, so you can collaborate if you so choose.

Make track/s.

Send tracks in, with any instructions, and will be edited in iMovie.

Anybody have any other ideas? Or something they think should be added?

The foreseeable problem is that if more than 20 people are interested, we will have to turn it into some sort of competition. I think the scenes/parts should still be assigned randomly, but if someone were to compete for a specific part, it would make collaboration difficult if not impossible. Any ideas on what to do if a large amount of people are interested?

check out Peppermill Records first release and see how they managed to fit from the end of one track to the beginning of the next.... you may accept each end of one song as that songs end... or as the start to the next IF you're listening to all songs in order.

i think thats a big challenge... so if you dont mind it to be done in like 0 days.... count me in.

i think thats a big challenge... so if you dont mind it to be done in like 0 days.... count me in.

Is the 0 days a typo? I fully expect this to go well into the summer. If we do it, that is.

it's not a typo... i just wanted to say ... it might take me a few minutes ;)

I'm a little confused by your post. Do you mean you would finish your track in a few minutes? Or edit it in a few minutes? What is Pepper Mill? Did they do something similar?

And yea, since it is a silent movie, the tracks would be in order, played non-stop. If moments of silence are necessary, they will have to be worked out between the collaborators/editor.

count me, just give it some time. into summer sounds good!

Peppermill is an extraordinary good netlabel. their first release is something i had really great hopes to see project168 grow into.

30 Days

This album was created in thirty days by thirty different artists, in a sort of chain-collaboration where one finished at midnight and passed it on to the next to continue the set, an idea inspired by Soulseek Records.

link

i hope this solves any confusion. :)

PS: i know this film very well. i own the jeff mills record. yeah jeff fucking mills ... peppermills... lol. i had the chance to see him introducing blue potential live. [/jeff mills love]

Why not have someone "start" the soundtrack, and everyone base their contribution on what the previous "scene" sounded like, to keep a musical cohesiveness, while still allowing for some creative freedom?

Why not have someone "start" the soundtrack, and everyone base their contribution on what the previous "scene" sounded like, to keep a musical cohesiveness, while still allowing for some creative freedom?

that will make it impossible for the guys at the end to start until the track previous to theirs is finished. if you accept that... it might be one solution.

one could also produce 'fill-ins' first ... the stuff at the switches. might be more challenging and time consuming altogether... but if we draw some lines whats in the fill ins... that might give the opportunity to work at different things at the same moment. should still give enough room for the original scene creativity.

Okay, so I guess we can all agree on that fact that it's hard cutting people off, so I was thinking that everyone who signs up for the "compilation", or whatever we might call it, is given a chance. So when everyone has been signed up, we assign the scenes, and then we make a poll where people can vote for their favorites - how about that? :)

Because it won't make any sense if we've got 30 people participating, because that'll leave about 4-5 minutes at the most to each participant.

Okay, so I guess we can all agree on that fact that it's hard cutting people off, so I was thinking that everyone who signs up for the "compilation", or whatever we might call it, is given a chance. So when everyone has been signed up, we assign the scenes, and then we make a poll where people can vote for their favorites - how about that? :)

Because it won't make any sense if we've got 30 people participating, because that'll leave about 4-5 minutes at the most to each participant.

why not have a 'green' version, a 'yellow' version, a 'blue' version....

if the parts are very well... we could fit together all kind of parts in a new version, kind of tetris like.

thats the advantage of computers... we are not stuck to a damn disc allowing one version.

but yes. the plan to rate an ultimate '1st version' by people choice is good anyway. i think thats the way to go.

The only way that we could do multiple versions is I think if we got like forty people interested. It seems odd to me if we made a whole new movie if we are just going to change a few scenes. On the other hand, this would mean nobody would be excluded. But if we get in between 30 and 40 people interested, I think that it indeed might be a good idea to just do multiple versions. But as stated before, this will only work if we get about three times as much interest as we already have.

Squee: do you mean, poll on the finished tracks/scenes to choose which ones make the final cut?

Joyrex: I like your idea, but we probably wouldn't finish it for like a year since as Max pointed out, you couldn't start your track until the person before you finished.

I thought that "WATMM's Version" would imply that this project would involve watmm members (i.e. not people who haven't registered already). Not that it matters, but maybe wait a little before inviting your friends. Also, this thread should be moved to EKT

I thought that "WATMM's Version" would imply that this project would involve watmm members (i.e. not people who haven't registered already). Not that it matters, but maybe wait a little before inviting your friends. Also, this thread should be moved to EKT

i'm out - if you put it that way. altogether.

EKT. WATMM.... dude... it's an internet board. do you have a list of people who are allowed to post here ? we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

hopefully your dreams include the meeting of new people. new choices. different ways. this is not the chicago house scene.

I think that the way this would work best is if you pick like 5 or 6 key scenes, and then people can pick which scene they want to do, and have the voting/contest part within each scene. Then we could just release a dvd with the top 1 or 2 of each of the 6 or so scenes. I think trying to redo the entire movie would be quite an enormous task.

I think that the way this would work best is if you pick like 5 or 6 key scenes, and then people can pick which scene they want to do, and have the voting/contest part within each scene. Then we could just release a dvd with the top 1 or 2 of each of the 6 or so scenes. I think trying to redo the entire movie would be quite an enormous task.

We thought of this. But if we get lots of people interested, like 20, than it is only like 6 minutes or so per person. Plus, six scenes isn't that many. That's only six tracks. And if we do two versions of each, thats twelve scenes. In which case we might as well do twenty.

i'm out - if you put it that way. altogether.

EKT. WATMM.... dude... it's an internet board. do you have a list of people who are allowed to post here ? we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

hopefully your dreams include the meeting of new people. new choices. different ways. this is not the chicago house scene.

I understand what mrx is saying. It is kind of cool to have people who we "know" doing the music for the movie, and it would be strange if a whole bunch of outsiders came, never posted, and just submitted their tracks and left. On the other hand, it is always a good idea to bring new people to the board, and I really have no problem with n00bs submitting tracks. Plus, the more interest their is, the more versions we can make, which means fewer people will be left out/weeded out through competition.

Archived