IGNORED

Metropolis (1927) Soundtrack

Squee

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've only read this thread up to squee's post, but i'd like to do the music for the garden scenes. whatever they are.

i'll go and rent the film.

Guest margaret thatcher

i'm very psyched about this now!

i've had a lot of ideas and started recording some stuff.....

oh yeah, about the synths thing - i'm currently doing mine entirely on guitar, piano and analogue synthesis. so fuck that. :D

but i could incorporate a musical theme in there....

also, i'd very much like a chilled out scene, a garden one or something...i'm "acquiring" the film now....so i'll let you know! cos i'm more of an ambient kinda guy really, all my attempts at harder stuff lately have been shitty.....

I thought that "WATMM's Version" would imply that this project would involve watmm members (i.e. not people who haven't registered already). Not that it matters, but maybe wait a little before inviting your friends. Also, this thread should be moved to EKT

i'm out - if you put it that way. altogether.

EKT. WATMM.... dude... it's an internet board. do you have a list of people who are allowed to post here ? we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

hopefully your dreams include the meeting of new people. new choices. different ways. this is not the chicago house scene.

I understand what mrx is saying. It is kind of cool to have people who we "know" doing the music for the movie, and it would be strange if a whole bunch of outsiders came, never posted, and just submitted their tracks and left. On the other hand, it is always a good idea to bring new people to the board, and I really have no problem with n00bs submitting tracks. Plus, the more interest their is, the more versions we can make, which means fewer people will be left out/weeded out through competition.

It's not only that really, I was also trying to suggest is that since that there are many musicians on this forum (http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showforum=3), then there really isn't any need to get outsiders in on this project.

I agree with Mrx. I think we should keep it at a WATMM-level until things blow out of proportions and the whole world wants to be a part of this. I mean, let's wait and see what happens. If it turns out that we've got 600 german techno vikings knocking on our door demanding to be part of this project, then we should let them in, but I'd personally like it if we keep it inside the four walls of WATMM just for now.

Yea, requests for scenes will be taken into consideration but there are no guarantees. Their really isn't that much of the pleasure garden in the movie.

But yea, I'd like to keep it open ended. It would be cool to have people use different instruments if they so choose. All my effects and stuff are still up North and I won't have access to them for another month, but I might add a little guitar of my own if I get a scene that I think is a more ambient scene.

I am personally feeling a lot of dark ambient, industrial, and some electronic music on the more action bits. But whatever. I like the idea of leaving it up to each person and allowing them to contact people for collaborations if they so choose.

Guest margaret thatcher

okie dokie boss, i'll watch it and then i'll get some ideas....

oh the one i have here is 2:17:04 and it's got music by peter osbourne (1998) according to the intro. have i got the right one?

it seems peter osbourne is quite a fan of new age flutes.

okie dokie boss, i'll watch it and then i'll get some ideas....

oh the one i have here is 2:17:04 and it's got music by peter osbourne (1998) according to the intro. have i got the right one?

it seems peter osbourne is quite a fan of new age flutes.

No. The original score was written by Gottfried Huppertz in 1927. After some quick research, the version you have was only released in the UK and is slightly longer than the versions that both Squee and I have. (mine is six minutes longer than his). My version is 124 minutes long, and contains a newly recorded version of the original score and was released by Kino DVD.

I've started to look through the movie. Squee and I will do the best we can to be fair but some people will be getting longer cuts than others. Also, on certain, but not all scenes, it is really going to work best if you collaborate with the person ahead and behind you. Just a suggestion.

Btw, the link that Jedy posted to the Metropolis video is the same as I have, except it is only half uploaded.

Guest margaret thatcher

yeah, mine seems slower than the youtube video, probably why it's longer.....and my god the version i have has the most horrific score, i had to mute the sound.

actually... i'd like to retract... i don't have time right now to take this on... but i can't wait to hear the outcome!

Guest splagawaga

Only just got your message about this rook. ive been thinking about re-scoring a film for ages, its just in the bin of creative ideas i wish i had time to do :)

im well up for this though. ive done some soundtrack stuff before and its really satisfying to steer the music to visuals.

so anyway, count me in...

Guest splagawaga
Nice, add two more.

Re: melodic theme.

I think it would be tough for us to arbitrarily just choose one theme to universally be quoted throughout the soundtrack. Thats why I like the idea of giving out the names of the person ahead and behind you so they could swap idea's if they so choose. Sort of like that game telephone that everybody played when they were kids. The first person has a melody in their track, and if they share their track with the next person down the line, who knows what it could turn into.

Besides, recurring melodic themes (a la Wagner or Williams) usually follow characters. You know, like a certain theme for the machine man or something. That would be a whole different ball game, if we assigned characters. But I don't think that is really realistic considering we already have ten people.

how about: once the final list of participants is set, everybody creates a few weird noises per character then we can all decide which ones we like and share them out. so that when that character appears rather than have a melodic element appear u could use a particular snare sample or weird sound, anything really. it would be nice to tie the whole thing together with recurring elements and this is one way around it.

what du reckon?

Nice, add two more.

Re: melodic theme.

I think it would be tough for us to arbitrarily just choose one theme to universally be quoted throughout the soundtrack. Thats why I like the idea of giving out the names of the person ahead and behind you so they could swap idea's if they so choose. Sort of like that game telephone that everybody played when they were kids. The first person has a melody in their track, and if they share their track with the next person down the line, who knows what it could turn into.

Besides, recurring melodic themes (a la Wagner or Williams) usually follow characters. You know, like a certain theme for the machine man or something. That would be a whole different ball game, if we assigned characters. But I don't think that is really realistic considering we already have ten people.

how about: once the final list of participants is set, everybody creates a few weird noises per character then we can all decide which ones we like and share them out. so that when that character appears rather than have a melodic element appear u could use a particular snare sample or weird sound, anything really. it would be nice to tie the whole thing together with recurring elements and this is one way around it.

what du reckon?

Yea, once we cut the movie down into scenes. I am just going to post an entire list of who got what. This way, if two people got a scene with the good Maria in it, they can contact each other and swap ideas if they wish.

Depending on which scene I get, I might even try to incorporate some of the original score into my track.

Guest margaret thatcher
Depending on which scene I get, I might even try to incorporate some of the original score into my track.

very good idea! as long as it doesn't turn into a ripoff of rossz csillag alatt szuletett...which i'm sure it won't.

i've been pissing round all last night and today, recording guitar and piano and distortion boxes and stuff and seeing what noises i can make. i've had a go syncing up some of it to film, just to see what different tempos and keys and stuff do to the feel of the film. i've never done film score stuff before and i'm well chuffed. i would post some of it but i don't know what scene i'm getting yet.

i think a "musical phrase" idea could be good, like the main overture for the intro, repeated at different times in major/minor/whatever keys at whatever tempos. like proper film scores n shit. :D

i'm psyched about this, i wanna start now! hehehehe

i hope everyone's still this enthusiastic in 6 months time.

i haven't been this productive since the first project168.

yea, pinned topics.

Thatcher: lol at rossz. I was actually thinking about maybe using some of the score but using my own synths to record it, not sample it. But I might not. I dunno. I am waiting until I find out what scene I get before I even think about it. And glad to hear you are excited. I told Squee that we should shoot for hopefully the weekend to have the movie cut down, and then we will post them.

If you still need another person, I'm in.

The Metropolis 1984 soundtrack is fucking amazing, btw. There are tracks by Giorgio Moroder (he produced the whole thing), Freddy Mercury, Bonnie Tyler, Jon Anderson, Billy Squier and others. I love it.

If you guys are serious, I there should also be some added visual element like how the 1984 version had different color tinted scenes. I'd be up to helping with that too.

also... I found this version that someone made with

!!!

Guest catsonearth

is there anyway you could embed a SMPTE timecode onto the version you upload as our source? otherwise it might be impossible to sync our music up with the action once somebody tries to edit all of them together. i'm assuming some people are going to want their sounds synced precisely to the action on screen? i'd at least like to have the option.

is there anyway you could embed a SMPTE timecode onto the version you upload as our source? otherwise it might be impossible to sync our music up with the action once somebody tries to edit all of them together. i'm assuming some people are going to want their sounds synced precisely to the action on screen? i'd at least like to have the option.

No idea what that is. Perhaps Squee knows. If not, we may just have to work together with someone who does know how to do that to get accomplished what you wish to do. If you designate a specific part of video, say, exactly six minutes, and you edit your track to be exactly six minutes, if put over the same six minute segment of the movie, wouldn't it work out just fine?

Some scenes would tend well to work like that, but being a silent film, some won't. But yea, we will try to deal with that if that is something you wish to do.

maybe someone can import the whole thing into FCP or Avid and overlay a timecode display. i do not have these programs or know their capabilities, but you should definitely be able to do this, even in like imovie. what framerate was it even shot at? strongly doubt it's 24 . . 22? would we be working with an NTSC release? if so 23.976ndf FTW

Guest Adjective

if you're still open to suggestions, i think it should go like this:

people state they will participate.

rook / squee keep that list of participants

rook /squee prepare the 20? segments

segments are assigned to the list that volunteered through PM.

multiple people will get the same scene, i hope.

when all tracks are in, rook /squee/whoever else? pick which tracks will work together

if a scene gets multiple entries and none of them work:

ask one of the others who managed to pull off a decent scene if they'd like to handle that scene.

also, i don't think opening this competition up would do any harm.

it's the final result that's important i think, and giving talented people a reason to join and participate in this community is a good thing. even if every entry came from some new member that no one knows, it would still be something that started and was put together on WATMM.

Archived